Machine Shops?

Richard Cranium

Who are people using these days? I need some simple work done I assume any shop can handle. Cam bearings in an LQ4, check out a set of used LS3 heads I picked up, that kind of thing. Parts will be hot tanked and clean when taken to the shop.

Also, does anyone know anything about Sheets Automotive Machine Shop on West Broad near Alton? I've seen their sign out there for years, but I've never heard of anyone using them. It would certainly be convenient for me.

Only know about M&M in Delaware, and unless something has changed in the last couple of years, its a total dump and a disorganized mess. Last time I had work done there, they literally gave me someone else's cylinder heads. If you can get by that, they will get the job done.

When I had my BMW M42B18 4-cylinder head in for a 3-angle valve job and rebuild, I took it to NAPA on 161. They obviously farm out the machine work, but it was less than $500 for all the machine work, new valve seals, cam bearings and reinstall, etc...and was done on time.

Mike at M&M had the head for a couple of months on the floor of his shop and never touched it.

I forgot who recommended NAPA (Nickey?) but it was a great option.

When I had my BMW M42B18 4-cylinder head in for a 3-angle valve job and rebuild, I took it to NAPA on 161. They obviously farm out the machine work, but it was less than $500 for all the machine work, new valve seals, cam bearings and reinstall, etc...and was done on time.

Mike at M&M had the head for a couple of months on the floor of his shop and never touched it.

I believe the NAPA in Newark gets all of the machine work. If you want to talk to the guys that do the work, call that branch.

They were very reasonable on a set of toyota heads.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Only know about M&M in Delaware, and unless something has changed in the last couple of years, its a total dump and a disorganized mess. Last time I had work done there, they literally gave me someone else's cylinder heads. If you can get by that, they will get the job done.

M&M is a shit hole as Pat said, I don't understand why people go back.

Most likely me, NAPA does pretty good work! Randy's Machine Shop is another I would trust with checking out stock stuff.

If you want to take a short trip, Hutter Racing does a lot of LS stuff.

Pro Car up in Cleveland also does LS stuff.

Buschur Racing could also look it over.

It's sad there's really no go-to high-performance machine/engine shops in Columbus that are reliable and do good work.

I've heard nightmare stories about Fowler too so stay away from them.

If I remember correctly Slow motion in Sunbury has an full set up for doing heads.

Yup, Slow Mo has a full machine shop setup now and its quite impressive.

I had M&M do the work on my last 2jz and was happy.

I liked working with Bob Proffit at Performance Research. Not sure if they are still around though.

Performance Research is still around, unfortunately Bob passed last March.

They've been impossible for me to get ahold though, I just need an aluminum blocked check before I order a crank.

They've been impossible for me to get ahold though, I just need an aluminum blocked check before I order a crank.

WTF, any word on what he passed from? I haven't seen him in like 9yrs or so but I thoroughly enjoyed my interactions with him. He was a little rough around the edges but warmed up and we had some good conversations. He remembered my as that guy that moved to TX and was beating mustangs with the 4g63 he did the work on for me.

NVM, I found his obituary :(

I appreciate all the feedback. Cleveland is a little further than I wanted to travel for simple machine work. If I was doing something LS specific and complex then I would in a heart beat, but it's a bit of a trip for the simple work I think this needs. I reached out to Randy's and I'll see what they have to say. I'm going to tear down the heads myself and get them ready for new springs and valve seals. Should I hot tank the castings, or just run them through the dish washer? Just kidding, I'll probably run them through the dish washer since we're getting ready for a kitchen remodel and the current dish washer will be going away. Although it won't be the first set of heads to go through this dishwasher.

I Should I hot tank the castings, or just run them through the dish washer? Just kidding, I'll probably run them through the dish washer since we're getting ready for a kitchen remodel and the current dish washer will be going away. Although it won't be the first set of heads to go through this dishwasher.

:lol::lol:

FS used Maytag. Never washed engine parts in it.

$200 NO LOWBALLERS

I KNOW WHAT I HAVE