Has anyone read this thing about the gorilla glue

Mace1647545504

I guess when I think of pussification..back in my day if you had a beef with someone..you squared off and duked it out. Today you get shot or stabbed.

Look at the numbers today, they are ridiculous.[/Quote]

So...you solved things by punching or not at all.

People got shot or stabbed all the time back then too. How many folk/country/blues/rock and roll songs are about people getting murdered over a gambling debt or infidelity? Like half of them. If anything more people got shot way back when in the 1980's and early 1990's because of the crack epidemic. Still the numbers do go up slightly overall without the 80's and 90's spike and you can point to a couple of factors: The population itself increased, the wealth gap increased, and the NRA's "self protection" marketing campaign starting in the 1970's pushed for more people to own guns.

And the softening, if you play sports everyone gets a trophy and don't keep score because if you lose you may hurt Johnnies or Mary's feelings...we are all winners.

This is some gen-u-whine old man, get off my lawn bullcrap. First off what you are describing doesn't exist, unless you are talking about T-ball for Pre-K toddlers, and then come on man. Second yes there are sports that give out participation trophies for very young kids, and you know what? it works. Kids who starts sports young and get encouraged are more likely to develop a healthy competitive spirit and also stay with it long term. By the time they get to say Pop Warner Jr Pee Wee age (7-10) even the kids think participation trophies are stupid so they don't do them.

Sorry, no we all aren't. So when my feelings get hurt I can't take it and I then either shot you and or me.

If anything kids probably have it tougher with the advent of the internet, cyberbulling is a real problem, and one that there hasn't been a lot of work to stem effectively. It's one thing to get "feelings hurt" on the sports field, it's another to be degraded on an international stage in a very lasting way that you can't escape from. You walk off the field, and it used to stay there, now you get bullied online or someone posts a nude without your permission and it follows you everywhere.

And it's funny you talk about Von Dutch, I was just reading an article in R&T.

I think about him probably more than I should. When I was a sign painter, he was a real inspiration for me, and it was only later that I found out what a trash human being he was. Still he taught me that you should have a conflicted relationship with those you hold in high regard - that nothing is black or white, there are no good or bad guys, things are often more complex and nuanced.

Come on now..you know you..well your parents have a mohawk pic...lol

I'm sure they do, I just can't get to their house right now because covid. Then again, they HATED that hairstyle.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all, but I am not surprised that she didn't. Ever live in Louisiana? It's a wonderful place with it's own really interesting culture but the lack of education is pretty apparent across the board. Things that we take for granted as common sense aren't always common sense down there due to lack of exposure, education, or just poverty.

statements like this.... and worse, the logic behind them.... are exactly why I only come to CR for the one thread about whiskey.

statements like this.... and worse, the logic behind them.... are exactly why I only come to CR for the one thread about whiskey.

You have a different view? please by all means elaborate....

In fact, please tell me what you presume the "logic" to be since you didn't ask.

I don't buy it. If anything I think American values have become stronger as we move more and more toward doing the right thing and taking care of each other.

What's great is that we are all entitled to our opinions, and mine is that you are completely wrong here. You think people have more values now?! That's laughable. There is no way we are concerned with taking care of each other, just look how people interact with each other now. People would rather bitch about their neighbor on social media about how they shovel snow in their driveway instead actually just having a conversation about it. And we all saw how that turned out.

What's great is that we are all entitled to our opinions, and mine is that you are completely wrong here. You think people have more values now?! That's laughable. There is no way we are concerned with taking care of each other, just look how people interact with each other now. People would rather bitch about their neighbor on social media about how they shovel snow in their driveway instead actually just having a conversation about it. And we all saw how that turned out.

But this is all anecdotal. Are you telling me people didn't fight with their neighbors over stupid shit 70 years ago? Are you telling me people always had "adult conversations" to air their grievances 70 years ago?

We can all point to individual examples of A) people being asshats now, and B) people being good and decent Americans now, and C) people being asshats 70 years ago, and D) people being good and decent people 70 years ago. All 4 of those things exist, yes?

So what we need to determine if America is getting worse is statistics, aggregate data. And I've seen nothing to suggest that, as a whole, people are shittier now than they were 70 years ago. What's changed is what people consider shitty. For example, making fun of gay people is something that probably happens a lot less now than it did 70 years ago. If you're pro-gay, that means Americans have gotten better, more decent to each other. If you're anti-gay, you probably want to MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.

But overall, Americans as individuals are just as good and just as shitty as they were at any point in American history. Overall, American policy has gotten better, what with the abolition of slavery and things like that. But there was never a time when individual Americans were somehow better than individual Americans now. People are just people, regardless of their time and place. Convince me I'm wrong.

i mean making a blanket statement about a states residents from you after years of tantrums against that is irony.

I said that the effects of poor education and poverty are apparent, that doesn't translate into everybody in the state is stupid, It's not a blanket statement about all the residents of the state, it's an experience based observation based around a known fact. At this point I would make a crack about your lack of reading comprehension, but since you are the only other one on here that has lived in New Orleans I'd just say you are kinda proving my point.

at the same time.... you just trashed your law degree from tulane which was from a school in louisiana.

Did I? Last I checked Tulane is a private university and we are talking about public education. You've lived there so I don't have to tell you that in the cities, anybody middle class or above pays to go to private school, leaving lower middle class and the poor to the whim of an underfunded public school system (since the voucher system allows the students to pull their money to private school as well). In the more rural areas private school isn't an option and so everybody gets stuck with the same underfunded public school. You can't even pretend to take a shot at me for basically restating what is a nationally recognized problem: https://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/news/education/2020/06/26/why-louisiana-ranks-nations-worst-place-children/3263900001/

Nice try though.

"It's a wonderful place with it's own really interesting culture but the lack of education is pretty apparent across the board"

nothing was said specifically about public education

Somebody mentioned her being a teacher, but She's a Teacher in Louisiana, the second worst school system in the country (Mississippi next door is the worst).

It was on the first page.

right. as usual look down on rural folks. then add in, "Things that we take for granted as common sense aren't always common sense down there"

What we know as common sense comes from common experience and knowledge, and people at different Socioeconomic and geographic locations are going to have different experiences and different knowledge.

The point of my comment (which you and Diamonds seem to miss) is to address those that say she lacks common sense and doesn't deserve some empathy because of it. Clearly this was an accident, she made a bad call based on a lack of information/experience, and there isn't a point in berating her for a bad situation.

As for rural people in Louisiana, I want everyone to have access to good education, what's wrong with that? in order to work at resolving an issue you have to recognize the issue and what are root causes and what are symptoms.

Wait: I'm doing this wrong, I'm trying to address you with logic, reason, and compassion. I need to talk to you on terms you understand, got it now: Fuck your feelings, and don't have such a victim mentality that your state's public schools suck. That's what want to hear right? I mean you've said it often enough in the past so it should make sense to you now.

Edited by Geeto67

Turn off mainstream media.

What we know as common sense comes from common experience and knowledge, and people at different Socioeconomic and geographic locations are going to have different experiences and different knowledge.

The point of my comment (which you and Diamonds seem to miss) is to address those that say she lacks common sense and doesn't deserve some empathy because of it. Clearly this was an accident, she made a bad call based on a lack of information/experience, and there isn't a point in berating her for a bad situation.

As for rural people in Louisiana, I want everyone to have access to good education, what's wrong with that? in order to work at resolving an issue you have to recognize the issue and what are root causes and what are symptoms.

Wait: I'm doing this wrong, I'm trying to address you with logic, reason, and compassion. I need to talk to you on terms you understand, got it now: Fuck your feelings, and don't have such a victim mentality that your state's public schools suck. That's what want to hear right? I mean you've said it often enough in the past so it should make sense to you now.

classy gonna classy.

I mean, this is what you get when you have a culture that takes little personal responsibility, is consumed with social media, narcissism, when WAP becomes the #1 song in the country for weeks on end and we have half of the political party in power currently that thinks the family unit of a mom and dad is wrong this needing to be torn down.

But this is all anecdotal. Are you telling me people didn't fight with their neighbors over stupid shit 70 years ago? Are you telling me people always had "adult conversations" to air their grievances 70 years ago?

We can all point to individual examples of A) people being asshats now, and B) people being good and decent Americans now, and C) people being asshats 70 years ago, and D) people being good and decent people 70 years ago. All 4 of those things exist, yes?

So what we need to determine if America is getting worse is statistics, aggregate data. And I've seen nothing to suggest that, as a whole, people are shittier now than they were 70 years ago. What's changed is what people consider shitty. For example, making fun of gay people is something that probably happens a lot less now than it did 70 years ago. If you're pro-gay, that means Americans have gotten better, more decent to each other. If you're anti-gay, you probably want to MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.

But overall, Americans as individuals are just as good and just as shitty as they were at any point in American history. Overall, American policy has gotten better, what with the abolition of slavery and things like that. But there was never a time when individual Americans were somehow better than individual Americans now. People are just people, regardless of their time and place. Convince me I'm wrong.

tell that all the 13%-30% of LGBTQ people that voted for him....

Take all the anti-gay voters in this country and round them up into a stadium. Now pick one at random. You have to guess whether this person voted for Trump or Biden. If you guess right you win a dollar. If you guess wrong, your nuts get crushed in the door of a 1973 Jeep Wagoneer while Doug Demuro describes the quirks and features of your swollen nutsack to all of his internet fans.

Now, to save your nuts, do you guess Trump? Or Biden?

If you guess that this random anti-gay American probably voted for Trump, then you don't actually disagree with anything in the part you bolded.