F-150 lightning

Mind you, it isn't as if all Ford F-150s from now on will need to be plugged in. Not even close. The majority of F-150s sold will have gasoline engines for the time being. But the fact that customers will be able to buy an F-150 with an electric motor instead of a gasoline engine is a major milestone.

This is the key. Most are hesitant to stray away from ice but the phasing to electric will build confidence and allow people to seemingly switch at their perceived pace. Plus it builds the impression of an ice safety net while early adopters “test out” the electric counterparts.

I wonder how the batteries will last under a load when towing a car on a trailer or anything heavy. Mileage will probably drop dramatically.

I looked into towing with EVs for about 30 seconds, and the range dropped by like 30% towing 4k lbs which turned me off

This is the key. Most are hesitant to stray away from ice but the phasing to electric will build confidence and allow people to seemingly switch at their perceived pace. Plus it builds the impression of an ice safety net while early adopters “test out” the electric counterparts.

Same as old heads who had a hard time considering an Ecoboost over their beloved V8 despite the fact that they hauled more, towed more, accelerated better, and got better MPGs than any V8 on the market.

I just wish the "F150 Lightning" would be more sportsting in the same vein of the previous Lightnings.

What were you hoping or expecting to find?

Prob something better than that I'm guessing.

What were you hoping or expecting to find?

There are inherent efficiency benefits to electric vehicles that sorta let them punch above their weight class in terms of stored energy versus range, so I think a lot of people, myself included, expected those efficiencies to carry over into towing. But real world testing of e.g. the Model X showed that they take an bigger hit to range than gas vehicles. I suppose people in the know expected this but I was disappointed. Towing is an area where they just can't engineer their way out of physics, and work is work at the end of the day.

Fortunately for Ford, there are plenty of people who buy F150s for the image and don't care about towing.

It’s just a word to Ford and if it helps sell trucks they’ll call it whatever.

Yes. Correct. That was exactly my point. Thank you.

Fortunately for Ford, there are plenty of people who buy F150s for the image and don't care about towing.

Well, it helps that it tows the most in its class.

A lightning is really more of a play thing than a towing machine.

This.

Lastly, I think some of the issues with the turbo 6s is they don't have the v8 sound. Yes, I fall into the "I love the v8 sound" crowd.

I just don't get the, "I care more about V8 sounds than performance." That's some ricer shit if I've ever heard it. :lol: Get an APC CAI and cherry bomb and call it a day.

Is "SNDS FST" available for a custom license plate?

I just don't get the, "I care more about V8 sounds than performance." That's some ricer shit if I've ever heard it. :lol: Get an APC CAI and cherry bomb and call it a day.

Is "SNDS FST" available for a custom license plate?

Sound definitively plays a part in car purchases...if it didn't why would so many manufacturers enhance the exhaust sounds through the speaker system ??

We all can't be ricers....can we?????

Sound definitively plays a part in car purchases...if it didn't why would so many manufacturers enhance the exhaust sounds through the speaker system ??

We all can't be ricers....can we?????

I didn't say it doesn't play a part but in a truck I'll take performance over "braps". Just a personal opinion. It's just funny to me anytime someone claims a truck is "better" somehow just because exhaust tone. Sounds like the black cloud coal rollers. "It'z kooler!" :lol: Obv the "ricer" thing was a joke...although the road/exhaust noises or whatever they're putting out through the speakers IS ricey to me. :)

It def makes a difference to some and with certain vehicles. I love a great exhaust note. An old cam making a classic muscle car "blap blap blap blap", a good truck tone is nice, lot's of exotics sound amazing, etc, but "I need V8 noises" being the reason to get something that underperforms vs another is humorous. I don't think NOT having V8 noises is an "issue" to folks using their Ecoboosts to actually pull trailers, meat wagons, campers, etc. BUT if someone just wants a truck to have a truck or wants a truck that can do all they need and THEY want a V8 cool. Not my money. Not my truck. Obv a V8 will always SOUND better but it's not the ONLY selling point to me.

That's all I meant. I get it. I just also want a truck be able to do truck things and if the twin turbo V6 does those things better that's what I personally would go for. YMMV. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I also may have had a few pours of bourbon by the time I typed that last night. Double ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

love the last line Randy...i laughed and the wife asked what was going on..lol

When I was talking about sound I was talking in any vehicle..I'm old and I love the muscle car sound

I get the this is better than that and if you use the truck to haul the ecoboost. I don't haul big stuff...i do mulch..appliances..etc

So hell a nice v6 will work for me..lol

If they were available in the trim and options I want, I would have traded my 3.5EB already.

The generator is a pretty awesome feature on it.

I couldn't remember which engine got which generator power level, so I looked it up again.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a32970167/f-150-generator-pro-power-onboard/

Blue chart is nice to understand the 3 options, which engines you can get them on. Though I'd take the 'what can you do with it part' with a grain of salt, it's just marketing.

Edited by Trouble Maker

I just wish the "F150 Lightning" would be more sportsting in the same vein of the previous Lightnings.

I would expect this to be quicker than any of their ICE-powered models, at least in the higher trim levels.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I just watched the presentation, I really like it. Its actually everything I wanted out of the Cybertruck before it was revealed: I want a regular ass pickup truck, but make it electric. I think an early advantage Tesla had was that the original Model S looked like a regular luxury sedan. When the Cybertruck was reveled, I was really put off by the aesthetic. It seemed like the wrong vehicle to go nuts on the design, trucks are supposed to be about utility. I love that the F-150 has a bunch of extra storage where the engine would have gone, as well.

I just watched the presentation, I really like it. Its actually everything I wanted out of the Cybertruck before it was revealed: I want a regular ass pickup truck, but make it electric. I think an early advantage Tesla had was that the original Model S looked like a regular luxury sedan. When the Cybertruck was reveled, I was really put off by the aesthetic. It seemed like the wrong vehicle to go nuts on the design, trucks are supposed to be about utility. I love that the F-150 has a bunch of extra storage where the engine would have gone, as well.

My thoughts exactly - this is why the Tesla truck will get crushed