HOT ROD Power Tour - Lucore props

zeitgeist57

I wanted to take the time to give some props to Austin and Kerry for videoing their HRPT 2021 (mis)adventures. I've caught a few of Austin's videos before but between Vice Grip Garage and Lucore, I got a great taste of HRPT as I've never gone myself. Now it's definitely something I'd consider for my son and I to do.

I watched all 5 days on my personal computer at my home office while working, and Kerry provided great, optimistic insight and Austin/Kerry seemed to have great banter. It was entertaining to watch and I'm glad they video'ed...as I would NOT want to be in that un-A/C'd AMC AMX in 114* heat! :lol:

Props to you guys for a great adventure to watch!

I hope CR gives these guys a look, if you haven't watched Austin's Lucore YT channel in the past. Appreciate bringing us along for the trip!

Many thanks for the complements and also posting the videos here, which I forgot to do.

Quick Question for the Group: after y'all watch the day 2 video, do you want the play by play of the woman who almost died next to the car in the Springfield Walmart Parking lot?

Quick Question for the Group: after y'all watch the day 2 video, do you want the play by play of the woman who almost died next to the car in the Springfield Walmart Parking lot?

I have to say I do. I'm curious. Will let others comment.

I respect from both of your reactions that you didn't bring it up on YT.

Probably "safer" to comment on CR than social media platforms.

I have to say I do. I'm curious. Will let others comment.

I respect from both of your reactions that you didn't bring it up on YT.

Probably "safer" to comment on CR than social media platforms.

I have fielded a lot of questions about it, and I have a narrative that is not ghoulish. I didn't film it but I do have some pics of the scene including the EMT's administering aid, that I am not sharing due to identity concerns.

Austin and I talked about it in the moment and both agreed showing footage could create problems, imagine logging on to youtube and seeing your kid have a life threatening medical issue out of the blue for starters.

Sell me that AMC Spirit.

thx

Talk to Austin, it's his car. I can tell you that it is an original 1979 AMC Spirt AMX, one of approx 800 made in 1979 with a 304ci v8 and a 4 speed manual (most were 258 ci I6s). he poured buckets of money into the car with new mechanical everything, including a rebuild that made the 304 decently strong.

So here is the story on day 2 and the springfield parking lot (warning Wall o'text):

Background: we suspected the Spirit had some sort of electrical problem, because every once in a while it wouldn't start - just click. At first I thought this was a battery ground issue because moving the battery ground strap caused the car to fire up. Austin had the battery go flat on him on a trip to Athens and back the week before, and the suggestion was the battery was shorting out - He gave me the old battery from that trip and it wouldn't charge past 12.1 on my charger and the acid looked low. Still the battery he had put in the car had gotten us up and back to norwalk and over to dayton no problem and the car was charging at about 12.8 at idle and 13.0 when reved up so we just assumed it was a defective battery and the charging issue was a non-issue.... until in dayton the car wouldn't start again and had to be bump started.

The Springfield Walmart:

After bump starting the car, we were cruising back to Cbus no issue - until it started to get dark. With Austin driving we waited as long as we could to turn on the headlights. When he did, Austin could feel the car start to lose power and when he did a brights check, the car literally backfired through the carb. I opened google maps and found that we were 3 miles from the walmart at east side square in springfield (tuttle road). We got off the highway and made our way down some really sketchy backroads with no lights and in pitch darkness, only for the car to die at the intersection right before the walmart. So I got out and pushed the car about 100 yards through the light and into the walmart parking lot.

At this point, I had been in the hot car for several hours, in the hot sun in the parking lot of the veterans center in Dayton, and just pushed the car plus driver out of the way. I was spent. Austin figured since a battery swap worked last time we should be able to make it the 30 min back to columbus by grabbing another battery and then deal with it in the AM. So he went inside to buy a battery. While he was inside, I grabbed the multimeter and started looking for a short or some kind of drain that would explain eating batteries.

At this point, I am digging around the car with a multimeter when a young woman (I would later find out she was 35) walked past the car from the walmart entrance. She seemed to be typing into the phone fast like she was arguing with someone, and not really looking where she was going. because she would look up, walk one direction, look around, walk another direction on her phone, look up again. She walks past me with the hood up on the car, stops, looks up from her phone, and goes "can I just vent to you for a minute"?

I gave her a long look, she was about 5'8", white (with a pretty good natural tan), brown hair, baseball cap, athletic wear (Tank top and spandex shorts). She looked fairly clean, good skin, somewhat skinny, a little bony, but not unhealthy. She had a new-ish smart phone and a large key chain with a set of car keys on it. I was bored and used to random people unraveling their life stories to me (because I have a friendly face) and so I said" sure". She walks around to the drivers side of the car and leans up against the quarter panel and starts telling me about how she's pissed about how Walmart won't take clothes back because she took the tags off even though it's a Walmart brand and how her friend was supposed to meet her, I wasn't really paying attention because the battery would read 12.3v key off, but 0.0V with key on.

It took me a minute to realize I didn't hear her talking anymore, so I peaked my head around the hood and she was crouched into a squatting upright fetal position. I walked over and asked "miss are you alright?". She mumbled something to me and then faceplanted forward into the asphalt. While I was checking that she was still breathing, a woman in an older tacoma with two teenage kids pulled up and asked "is that woman alright?". I told he that I didn't think so and she calls 911 immediately. Up until this moment I hadn't thought "drugs" in reference to her - she just didn't look like the strung out junkies I had seen growing up. Austin was still in the store and I texted him to alert the walmart employees that there was a woman in distress in the parking lot.

The Taco Woman turned out to have a broken leg in a cast and so she yelled instructions to me from the 911 operator. I laid the woman on to her back and began talking to her to keep he conscious and breathing. I was also roughly timing her breathing which was getting more labored and with greater spaces between breath. Austin shows up tot he car to this scene with a shopping cart with two car batteries in it, not having got my text and having no idea what is going on. I'm fairly certain his first thought was "what the fuck did kerry do now?" :lol:

In the pre-covid world, I don't know that I would have ever given a second thought to giving a person CPR who was in distress. But now with this woman whose breaths were getting to be 20 seconds apart and more like gasps - It occurred to me that I might have to give her CPR if she stops breathing. I haven't been CPR certified since 2003, but it is surprising how much comes back to you when you need it. Mentally though, my exhausted self is just saying "come on, one more breath till the bus comes, just keep pulling in that air". I look up and I see disco lights.

Edited by Geeto67

The police are the first to arrive. A young officer in a Tahoe, followed by another in a separate car. They saunter up, inspect the scene, and go "yep, looks like another overdose". Turns out the cops in springfield don't carry narcan and wouldn't be allowed to administer it if they did. Well, shit.

A few seconds after they arrive, I stand up and take a step back and I can see the ambulance entering the parking lot. I look at the woman, bend down and say "come on give me one more breath" and she does. No CPR, no risk of delta variant. I step back from the scene as they roll up just to avoid being in the way. In the light the woman's face is pale white.

Remember that Scene in pulp fiction with the needle of adrenalin? remember how fun that was because of how cartoonish and ridiculous it was? That bit of doubt that in the real world it would ever really act that way? ok so there was no big needle and big thump, and she didn't shoot bolt upright, but I was jump back shocked with how quick she started responding after the Narcan was deployed. Like from ghost face dead to being able to talk to us in the span of a minute. And then the adrenalin dump stopped and I almost passed out from relief.

The rest of the evening was spend chatting with the cops, calling my wife and giving her a status update, and trying to fix the car enough to get home. Also I took a walk through walmart and bought a 12 pack of Gatorade and took a whore's bath in hand sanitizer in the front entrance of the walmart. Thank the universe for 24 hour walmarts.

The electrical issue turned out to be a worn out AMC voltage regulator, which in turn took out the alternator. We ended up swapping it with a 1 wire GM alternator at the venue 3 days and many other adventures later, but that's another story (in the day 5 video).

Many thanks for the complements and also posting the videos here, which I forgot to do.

I do not. Mainly because I got it live as you were texting me. :lol: I'm sure others are intrigued though. Just don't turn it into a 4 hour session/video. lol

Y'all made the right call not showing it/releasing info. ESPECIALLY on the Lucore channel.

I can tell you that it is an original 1979 AMC Spirt AMX, one of approx 800 made in 1979 with a 304ci v8 and a 4 speed manual (most were 258 ci I6s). he poured buckets of money into the car with new mechanical everything, including a rebuild that made the 304 decently strong.

It'd be an ls swap if I acquired it.

:lolguy:

(warning Wall o'text):

We don't need a disclosure. We all see your s/n and just expect it. ;)

I watched the day 1 vid soon as it was uploaded and the night time vid as soon as IT was uploaded since I had heard what y'all went through. I have to watch the others still but they're SO long. I'll get around to it. I LOVED Vice Grip's. ~20 mins, saw them all having fun as a fam, saw Derek interacting with folks, saw repairs, saw adjustments to their plans being made, saw a lot of the other vehicles, and it was easy to consume an entire "day" in a short amount of time.

Not knocking the vids at all. What I've seen so far I've loved. I'll def be watching the others when I can focus more. Glad it was so well documented and as I had texted you during it all and as Clay said I'm def gonna push to go next year. Y'all made it look fun too.

Now I just gotta get MY Lincoln to be the exact opposite of Clay's. :lol: