BMW 330CI

Second Gen

I am not saying you should value the check writer more than the craftsman, but it should be recognized that one doesn't exist without the other.

Doc speaks of DIY. You do not. You speak of paying high end shops to do it for you. Missing the mark. Literally the antithesis of what Doc is saying.

Finally was sent to another town and literally when to an open parking lot to take the trailer (No one was there). Really a mess of a process, but the trailer was great (Would love to have access to one of these regularly.)

Well, if they are just lying around in open lots it shouldn't be too hard. :lol:

Congrats on the new ride.

LS swap it :gabe:

:lolguy:

Doc speaks of DIY. You do not. You speak of paying high end shops to do it for you. Missing the mark. Literally the antithesis of what Doc is saying.

Not really. There is this real "fuck the rich guy" mentality that seems to exist in the "built not bought" end of the hobby, and I'm not really down with that kind of divisive mentality.

I'm all for appreciating good work but not when you have to put down someone else to do it. A well built car can be appreciated for being a well built car - regardless as to whether the owner did the work themselves or not. If you have to put someone down in order to highlight how good your junk is....then is it really that good?

S62 is the e39 M5 engine, going rate is about $10K-$12K for one. An M60/62 can be found in any 540i or 740i from 1994-2003, and you can usually buy the whole car for around $2500 running. Avoid the later N62 that has the valve seal issues since those are a really expensive and re-occurring.

the M60/62 series v8s bolt up to the Getrag 420G transmission which is the same 6 speed used in the E36 and E46 m3 so it will go in the chassis (check the clocking though, I know in E30/E36's and E34s the same trans had different clocking between 3 and 5 series cars).

because the non vanos engines are mostly SOHC not DOHC. M50 was the first common modern DOHC BMW I6 and it is also the first vanos engine. The M88 is a DOHC Iron block but good luck finding one in the states - we only got them in the M cars (E24/28). Also those old iron block alloy head engines have their own issues with head sealing and warpage as well as overheating.

of the old engines the M30 is probably the best one to look at. made from 1968-1995, and found in the E12 M5,, the 635csi, and the E23 735i, they are common and have a lot of potential (esp turbocharging).

* Love the feedback and doing some light reading on the M30 motor and still like the V8 (Non-LS) option. Likely will need to be a motor/transmission swap either way as the more I read about my old motor (M54) assuming it is toast (Mileage/overheated likely).

Not really. There is this real "fuck the rich guy" mentality that seems to exist in the "built not bought" end of the hobby, and I'm not really down with that kind of divisive mentality.

I'm all for appreciating good work but not when you have to put down someone else to do it. A well built car can be appreciated for being a well built car - regardless as to whether the owner did the work themselves or not. If you have to put someone down in order to highlight how good your junk is....then is it really that good?

Still not quite getting it but that's ok.

I also agree that there can be division or a sense of superiority either way or if something is "original" or modified or whatever. Personally IDGAF either way.