Oculus Quest 2/VR headsets

gillbot

Any recommendations for a decent cable? I’m sure anything labeled as “oculus” has the appropriate tax on it. We tried one we have here and it’s not even making a connection so it’s probably a cheap China cord not worth a shit. I have an anker but it’s only 6’, I’m guessing 10 or even 15 would be better but given all the cheap cords I don’t want to waste money on a million just to find one that might work.

Yes, there is an Oculus specific cord. Last I looked it was like $70. I don't use one of those, I use a generic USB C 3.1 cord. On my video card I have a USB C 3.1 port, so that's what I connect the oculus to. You'll have to see what options he has to connect. The port on the quest is a USB C, but he may not have that available on his PC.

Here is a link to the oculus cable.

https://smile.amazon.com/Oculus-Virtual-Reality-Headset-Cable-Gaming/dp/B081SHD773/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=oculus+link+cable&qid=1640950034&sprefix=oculus+link%2Caps%2C67&sr=8-4

You can get a USB A to USB C cable if he doesn't have a C port on his PC. Just make sure the standard is at least USB 3 or 3.1 I would look at the Amazon reviews though and see what people are saying about the cord with an Oculus. I bought one of the cheaper cords up front ($20) and it didn't work for long. Just don't buy a cheap cable, it probably won't work. I recommend buying one with a 90 degree end so it doesn't stick straight out.

Another option that might work would be wireless tethering. There is an app called Oculus desktop ($20). It was a little tricky to get it running wireless, but if you have fast strong wifi where he is using the oculus that might work for you as well.

Yes, there is an Oculus specific cord. Last I looked it was like $70. I don't use one of those, I use a generic USB C 3.1 cord. On my video card I have a USB C 3.1 port, so that's what I connect the oculus to. You'll have to see what options he has to connect. The port on the quest is a USB C, but he may not have that available on his PC.

Here is a link to the oculus cable.

https://smile.amazon.com/Oculus-Virtual-Reality-Headset-Cable-Gaming/dp/B081SHD773/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=oculus+link+cable&qid=1640950034&sprefix=oculus+link%2Caps%2C67&sr=8-4

You can get a USB A to USB C cable if he doesn't have a C port on his PC. Just make sure the standard is at least USB 3 or 3.1 I would look at the Amazon reviews though and see what people are saying about the cord with an Oculus. I bought one of the cheaper cords up front ($20) and it didn't work for long. Just don't buy a cheap cable, it probably won't work. I recommend buying one with a 90 degree end so it doesn't stick straight out.

Another option that might work would be wireless tethering. There is an app called Oculus desktop ($20). It was a little tricky to get it running wireless, but if you have fast strong wifi where he is using the oculus that might work for you as well.

I don't tether to my PC, so I'm not much help here, but everything I've heard from others on YouTube and Oculus groups agrees with this. I'm worried about the cable putting stress on the plug and ruining the USB port, so I would try wireless first with Virtual Desktop.

You could also try using the Oculus Air Link, but I'm not sure if it's out of Experimental Features yet. This is FB's attempt to kill Virtual Desktop.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-oculus-air-link-a-wireless-way-to-play-pc-vr-games-on-oculus-quest-2-plus-infinite-office-updates-support-for-120-hz-on-quest-2-and-more/

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

So far everything he’s liked he has to tether to the pc but he’s just starting out. I’ll look into a cord but I’m not paying 70 for one and he’s out of money. I gave him one of my usb a to c cords but its only 6’.
What kind of games does he like?

So far my usual games are:

Crisis VRigade 2 (it's like the old arcade game Time Crisis)

Vader Immortal 2 and 3 (I just play the lightsaber dojo)

CREED (on sale today, though this can get pretty physical)

Other games that most people start out with:

Super Hot (hadn't played in a while but started some of the challenges recently)

Beat Saber (rhythm games are love it or hate it)

Pistol Whip (think if it like a shooting version of Beat Saber)

Rec Room (free, has a lot of mini games inside it)

Space Pirate Trainer (shooting game where you shoot at different targets, use different weapons and use power ups. It has an arena mode...but to use that you need a 30x30 space and 2 people with headsets)

A lot of people seem to like Pavlov Shack too, but start with the free demo. Everything else mentioned above keeps you fairly stationary, but things like Pavlov has you moving through the environment. If that doesn't make you motion sick then there are a whole lot of other games to try out.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk