Struggling with corners and cars

progrmr

I'm back on my first real bike since my crash in 2007. I'm finding that when I'm on even a lightly twisty road (say 315 north of 270 up to 23) I find myself being very cautious in the corners.

I get to thinking that I should be able to corner faster than the cars, but then again I see a lot of gravel in corners and I want to corner with caution to make sure I take a line through the corner that doesn't take me through the gravel! I mean, if the car corners to fast they're probably ok but if I corner too fast I can crash and possibly crash into on-coming traffic.

This causes cars to start following me closely and "rushing" me. I feel like I need to speed up but don't want to wreck again.

I can't be the only one that doesn't hammer through the corners given the state of the roads out there. How do you all deal w/ this stuff?

When I am being followed I usually just speed up until the point where I need to slow down, then slow down enough to take the corner, then take off again. It kind of evens out the time that it takes to cover the same distance and hopefully prevents people from tailing me through a corner.

take your time, don't let the cars behind you force you into a situation you are not comfortable with.

but if there are too many instances where there are cars rushing you, id say try that road again at a lighter traffic time.

it just takes practice to get over that fear of crashing, although i doubt anyone can say that they are fearless when it comes to crashing.

Glad to see you riding after a wreck...takes courage. I'd say stay off the highway until you're comfortable going at least the speed limit. I frequent 315/23/270 and I don't recall much gravel being on these roads...especially in the "tire tracks".

When you are riding the road is yours...unless they are causing an extremely dangerous situation, let them go fuck themselves. Your safety is the prime concern, hence the reason why i ride with my high beams on when not around other bikes, it may be uncomfortable for the cager, but at least they know I'm there.

When I am being followed I usually just speed up until the point where I need to slow down, then slow down enough to take the corner, then take off again. It kind of evens out the time that it takes to cover the same distance and hopefully prevents people from tailing me through a corner.

:plus1: I blast the straightaways...

The best advice that I can give you concerning cornering and gravel is to always scan far ahead. SOMETIMES you can see the gravel/sand/leaves far enough in advance to choose the optimal line which will allow you to avoid that. Also, if riding a new road (or a road that you haven't traveled in a while), always take it easy on the 1st pass and "scout" the conditions. That way you'll know which corners are littered with debris/potholes.

Re Cagers following closely: If you're doing the speed limit, you're doing fine. If necessary, just get in the right-hand lane and enjoy your ride. If you're being tailgated, never speed up (if you're not comfortable with it), as the cager will MOST-LIKELY speed up, and you'll quickly find yourself being tailgated at a higher rate of speed. Just let them pass, and continue to enjoy the ride.

well put nate... YOUR pace is just that Your pace take your time.. and work your way up to it.. it will come.. and if a car is on your ass so what... dont break check no need to speed up.

+1 ride your ride and be comfy.

the cager will MOST-LIKELY speed up, and you'll quickly find yourself being tailgated at a higher rate of speed.

IF their cage can keep up. :p

I find most cagers are long gone by the time I hit the top of 3rd gear...

While I don't promote this behavior, I have been known to do it from time to time. :D

Most corners I have the biggest problem with are blind - there are a couple on that easy stretch of 315 that you just can't see until you're on top of them. I know this is where being familiar with a road is best, but even then you can't tell current conditions of the corner until you're into it. I just slow down even though I know where the road is going. Also single lane roads which are my favorite are also the worst with cagers.

204 out to zanesville is a good example...I think most people in cars are also up higher and can see more of the road than I can and I'm not very familiar with the road. Makes me nervous to even ride it.

I guess I just need to ride at my own pace and the hell with whoever is behind me. Maybe bust off a side-view mirror or two if people piss me off :)

i know the feeling and when i am out riding for myself i am at most 5 over the speed limit and i don't care what is behind me. if i don't like a corner i down shift an extra gear and give it a little more throttle so it feels faster.

but what really helped me push the boundaries of my comfort zone was riding with a few of the people here a few Sundays ago. i stayed in the back and ran at my own pace. had a little fun and did some of the silly things that make sport bike so fun, but what made the experience better was the support of the other riders. when we stopped they asked how i was doing, asked if the ride was going well. there was no pressure to go full lean in every corner, but watching how fast they were able to go in gave me a bit more confidence in the speed i was going in.

there was no pressure to go full lean in every corner, but watching how fast they were able to go in gave me a bit more confidence in the speed i was going in.

:plus1:

I had a similar experience following Dweezel to whitewoman street last year. (my first year on a sport bike)

All so real, I feel the same way, Im a puss when it comes to corners as soon as I see gravel or something that looks like gravel I grab the brake and sit up the bike, then I fight to make the turn,

+ 1 on taking it easy the first time on a road to scan it, if you ride the same road over and over that fear starts to go away

it takes a lot to get back on the bike after a wreck. i had all of the same problems when i got back on the road and i freaked out at every sign of gravel. basically all i can tell you is to just go out and ride as much as possible and ride with other people. watching them take the turn helps give you an idea of how fast it can be taken and what the road condition is like.

i think it also helped me to ride the road i wrecked on and make it to the end of the road lol

Glad to see you're back in the saddle after your incident. I always take it easy on roads I am unfamiliar with, especially those blind turns. I would much rather slow down and know for sure I'll make the turn w/o a problem than try to look cool or appease the cager tailing me, let alone anyone else. What you feel is perfectly normal. I have not had an accident myself, but my sister was in a car crash several years back, and now she sits FOREVER at stop signs and wont move until there is literally no cars coming. That stuff sticks with you.

Our lives are on the line every time we go out on our bikes. We don't have the luxury of having a ton+ of steel surrounding us in case the unfortunate happens. As stated before, if someone tailing you is becoming too aggressive with it, just slow down and wave him on. Ride how you want to ride, and how you feel safe and don't feel bad about it. You'll enjoy your ride more. I'd rather have you keep riding than having you get too stressed out over it and sell your bike or get into another accident. Hang in there bud!

All so real, I feel the same way, Im a puss when it comes to corners as soon as I see gravel or something that looks like gravel I grab the brake and sit up the bike, then I fight to make the turn,

+ 1 on taking it easy the first time on a road to scan it, if you ride the same road over and over that fear starts to go away

:wtf: don't do that.