Struggling with corners and cars

progrmr

Most corners I have the biggest problem with are blind - there are a couple on that easy stretch of 315 that you just can't see until you're on top of them. I know this is where being familiar with a road is best, but even then you can't tell current conditions of the corner until you're into it. I just slow down even though I know where the road is going. Also single lane roads which are my favorite are also the worst with cagers.

204 out to zanesville is a good example...I think most people in cars are also up higher and can see more of the road than I can and I'm not very familiar with the road. Makes me nervous to even ride it.

I guess I just need to ride at my own pace and the hell with whoever is behind me. Maybe bust off a side-view mirror or two if people piss me off :)

just a reason to carry a pocket full of pennies.... toss em straight up in the air and gun it after they hit....

yea maybe tap the rear brake a few time and let the motor slow me down but front brake is a bad idea

I feel 100% fine when I trail brake a corner and actually do it quite often when I'm out hitting sharp turns; yes front brake. I can do it because I feel fine with my experience with it, but I agree some will wipe out using any form of brake power unless they're sitting straight up. My brake light can be seen a few times while leaned over hard until I hit the apex and power out of it. I like to make my 14 work hard.

I feel 100% fine when I trail brake a corner and actually do it quite often when I'm out hitting sharp turns; yes front brake. I can do it because I feel fine with my experience with it, but I agree some will wipe out using any form of brake power unless they're sitting straight up. My brake light can be seen a few times while leaned over hard until I hit the apex and power out of it. I like to make my 14 work hard.

I'm glad you said that. I was wondering if I was weird for using brakes in corners if I felt like it. It doesn't stand my bike up, I lean harder and turn harder. If there's anything left to lean, of course. What can I say, I learned a style that doesn't exist anymore.

Odd question now, I think with modern ultra grip tires, no one ever breaks the rear tire loose like "back when" with the old style tires. Sliding around a corner was an option back then. I don't think I can do that at all with these modern tires. I'm not even willing to try yet. Well ok, did a major slide once by accident, and just went neutral on the throttle and pointed out of the slide, but traction wasn't good that day, heh.

I'm glad you said that. I was wondering if I was weird for using brakes in corners if I felt like it. It doesn't stand my bike up, I lean harder and turn harder. If there's anything left to lean, of course. What can I say, I learned a style that doesn't exist anymore.

i brake in the turns too but only trail braking...front brake stands up, rear brake leans it harder

i brake in the turns too but only trail braking...front brake stands up, rear brake leans it harder

You can (gently) use the front brake, but skill is required. If you point off your line a bit either way, it will bite you for that. Either high or low. Smooth is the word. Rear brake is what will initiate that slide through that I was talking about. And again, gently, otherwise it will spin down the road. And I suppose different bikes will react in different ways, without a doubt.

(Edited due to reason below.)

I've gotten to know this 14 pretty well now and I can tend to read the feedback I get from the tires and chassis well with it. I am always weird on a brand new bike because I don't understand what it's saying to me while on the road until I get some good seat time on it. Once the bike and I are communicating well, I have a blast on my rides.:)

Edited by NinjaNick
Reacon meant sliding it out with rear braking.

And I thought I was the only one that went around curve using caution,I am getting better and better as time goes by. But I do atleast speed limit around them and I really don't care if a car gets pissed at me. Iwant to make it back home alive and in one piece.

So stay in your own comfort zone.