Buell XB12R Any good?

J_Copeland

My SV runs 11.60s. :D And that was only after practicing 4 launches. I'm sure it's got 11.50s in it. My dad's X1 runs 12.30s.

You do realize that the XB is light years ahead of a X1. Sportrider has the XB12R 1/4 mile time as 11.43@117mph. Rag on the Buell all you want, there are plenty of reasons to, just be realistic a SV650 is not faster than a XB12R.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why are we arguing quarter mile times?

sportbikes are far from being about straight line speed. yeah, they go fast, but the fun is in the corners. and watching some of the guys ride on Buell's of one kind or another whether it be a 1125r, xb9, xb12, HP means jack shit in the corners. i'm regularly a witness to xb9's dusting guys on liter I4's.

give it up with the horse power crap already.

You are absolutely right jbot, I don't understand it myself. I am fairly new here and thought this would be a good place to meet people to ride with, moved from Florida a little over a year ago where I actually was able to ride with Sportbikes,H-D's and metric cruisers no problem,doesn't seem like that kind of atmosphere on this forum though, oh well.

You do realize that the XB is light years ahead of a X1. Sportrider has the XB12R 1/4 mile time as 11.43@117mph. Rag on the Buell all you want, there are plenty of reasons to, just be realistic a SV650 is not faster than a XB12R.

I don't think using the identical powertrain is "lightyears" ahead of the X1 :rolleyes:

Look, I've ridden the Buell, and I've ridden my SV. I'll take Japanese sportbike VTwin power over Harley VTwin power anyday. Hell, I'll take European VTwins over Harley too. I've never ridden a Duc or an Ape though, but I'm sure they're probably similar to the Jap stuff, in a prettier package.

Unless we're talking Rotax or the Vrod.. I might ride those... but the X1-XB series doesn't have anything on the Japanese. RC51, TLR, SV1000 - I'm not talking about the 650... you're not comparing apples to apples comparing a 1203cc to a 649cc... you need to at least compare the big boys.

Edited by JRMMiii

don't let this discourage you... they're a lot nicer when you ride with them. well, some of them never ride, but the ones you do meet on a ride are good people.

I don't think using the identical powertrain is "lightyears" ahead of the X1 :rolleyes:

Look, I've ridden the Buell, and I've ridden my SV. I'll take Japanese sportbike VTwin power over Harley VTwin power anyday. Hell, I'll take European VTwins over Harley too. I've never ridden a Duc or an Ape though, but I'm sure they're probably similar to the Jap stuff, in a prettier package.

Unless we're talking Rotax or the Vrod.. I might ride those... but the X1-XB series doesn't have anything on the Japanese. RC51, TLR, SV1000 - I'm not talking about the 650... you're not comparing apples to apples comparing a 1203cc to a 649cc... you need to at least compare the big boys.

I agree with your point about the RC,TL ,SV1000 but rj was talking about a 650. Now if you want to talk about the big boys, we should compare those to the 1125, which I can't stand to look at. My point is not everyone wants a full on sportbike, and why should it matter what someone else rides? Hell I put 33,000 miles on my Buell the first three years I had it, I guess I shouldn't have enjoyed those miles because it wasn't the fastest thing on 2 wheels.

yeah pup. some pple only like to bash online. once you ride with them its all good. its like we just have a bunch of ethugs. hahaha. I'm a bastard of all bikes I have a harley that dosen't fit in. its a power cruizer that handles very well. And the buells are awsome. they are great bikes. I would love to have one>

I know it's not about the fastest - this never was a dick swinging contest, but I thought the points being made were a "bang for the buck"-type argument. The Japanese OWN in that category - it's just what they're good at. Their bikes don't really have any pinache or personality, in fact they're quite robotic compared to other brands, but their usually the best place to spend your money.

To each their own... the 1203cc Buells just don't suit me, and I wouldn't give up my SV for one - even if it's got unique styling and personality, I don't think that's worth the price permium to belong to the exclusive and different Buell club. If you just consider the resale too, the Buells lose there - unless you're planning on keeping it forever, then it doesn't matter. I agree that the 1125R are ugly as sin, but I'm a function over form guy, so I might rock one... I've seen them click off 10.70s with a "not completely sober" guy (He told me this in the staging lanes :nono:) riding it. Not that I condone that. I think I'd rather get the CR over the R though. Looks way better of the two. I'm not opposed to the brand, I just think Jap bikes are better in the present.

So, now that we've establish your a diehard Buell guy...You want another one? :D That 1999 X1 I rode is still in my dad's possession - just a tick over 3000 miles now, new rear tire. Its completely MINT for a 10 yr old machine.

I know it's not about the fastest - this never was a dick swinging contest, but I thought the points being made were a "bang for the buck"-type argument. The Japanese OWN in that category - it's just what they're good at. Their bikes don't really have any pinache or personality, in fact they're quite robotic compared to other brands, but their usually the best place to spend your money.

To each their own... the 1203cc Buells just don't suit me, and I wouldn't give up my SV for one - even if it's got unique styling and personality, I don't think that's worth the price permium to belong to the exclusive and different Buell club. If you just consider the resale too, the Buells lose there - unless you're planning on keeping it forever, then it doesn't matter. I agree that the 1125R are ugly as sin, but I'm a function over form guy, so I might rock one... I've seen them click off 10.70s with a "not completely sober" guy (He told me this in the staging lanes :nono:) riding it. Not that I condone that. I think I'd rather get the CR over the R though. Looks way better of the two. I'm not opposed to the brand, I just think Jap bikes are better in the present.

So, now that we've establish your a diehard Buell guy...You want another one? :D That 1999 X1 I rode is still in my dad's possession - just a tick over 3000 miles now, new rear tire. Its completely MINT for a 10 yr old machine.

Not a diehard Buell fan at all, I have a love/hate relationship when it comes to Buell. My next bike will not be a Buell. On your point on the "Bang for The Buck" Buells have very good fully adjustable suspensions compared to SV's with their really cheap suspensions. i know all about the GSXR mods, but the money starts adding up then. What would a SV650 run with real shocks and real USD forks from the factory?

The sv overcomes the horsepower disadvantage with gearing. The sv can rev almost twice as high as the xb12r and is geared to take advantage or that fact. With the higher gearing the sv had much more mechanical advantage to the rear wheel. I'm mot saying it's faster but it is really close. It's fine if you don't want to believe me. I was quite surprised myself. I thought the buell would smoke the sv. You guys don't need to get offended. I am just stating my experience with the bike and offering my opinion. If anyone is around dayton and wants to see for themselves just give me a ring. I'm always up for beating on the sv.:)

XB12R Gear Ratios

1st 2.648

2nd 1.892

3rd 1.407

4th 1.166

5th 1.000

1.5:1 Primary Drive

2.407:1 Final Drive

SV650 Gear Ratios

1st (2.461)

2nd (1.777)

3rd (1.380)

4th (1.125)

5th (0.961)

6th (0.851)

2.088 Primary Drive

3:1 Final Drive

Edited by rjburner
Oops messed up the ratios

The sv overcomes the horsepower disadvantage with gearing. The sv can rev almost twice as high as the xb12r and is geared to take advantage or that fact. With the higher gearing the sv had much more mechanical advantage to the rear wheel. I'm mot saying it's faster but it is really close. It's fine if you don't want to believe me. I was quite surprised myself. I thought the buell would smoke the sv. You guys don't need to get offended. I am just stating my experience with the bike and offering my opinion. If anyone is around dayton and wants to see for themselves just give me a ring. I'm always up for beating on the sv.:)

XB12R Gear Ratios

1st 2.648

2nd 1.892

3rd 1.407

4th 1.166

5th 1.000

1.5:1 Final Drive

SV650 Gear Ratios

1st (2.461)

2nd (1.777)

3rd (1.380)

4th (1.125)

5th (0.961)

6th (0.851)

3:1 Final Drive

So now it's geared lower and still goes 140mph,whatever you say. You already have me convinced what you know when you said your SV650 does 140

Not a diehard Buell fan at all, I have a love/hate relationship when it comes to Buell. My next bike will not be a Buell. On your point on the "Bang for The Buck" Buells have very good fully adjustable suspensions compared to SV's with their really cheap suspensions. i know all about the GSXR mods, but the money starts adding up then. What would a SV650 run with real shocks and real USD forks from the factory?

Still stuck on the 650s... The 1000s have front suspension ported over from earlier model GSXR-600s, right from the factory... so the 1000s have fully adjustable suspension too. And, you're right you can swap GSXR forks into the 650s, but that's more $$$.

Still stuck on the 650s... The 1000s have front suspension ported over from earlier model GSXR-600s, right from the factory... so the 1000s have fully adjustable suspension too. And, you're right you can swap GSXR forks into the 650s, but that's more $$$.

Sorry, i thought we were talking about the 650's. My good friend in Fl. had a Copper 2003 SV1000, I seem to remember it did not have USD forks. although they did come with fully adjustable suspension,still cheap.

So now it's geared lower and still goes 140mph,whatever you say. You already have me convinced what you know when you said your SV650 does 140

Fine I'm bored lets do the math for first and second gear.

xb12r has 84 ft lbs peak torque

first gear 84 x 1.5 x 2.648 x 2.407 = 803.090736 ft lbs peak rear wheel torque

second gear 84 x 1.5 x 1.892 x 2.407 = 573.809544 ft lbs peak rear wheel torque

sv650 has 47.2 ft lbs peak torque

first gear 47.2 x 2.088 x 2.461 x 3 = 727.6212288 ft lbs peak rear wheel torque

second gear 47.2 x 2.088 x 1.777 x 3 = 525.3892416 ft lbs peak rear wheel torque

Well there's the peak numbers. I'm sure I am missing some stuff like shift points, aerodynamics, and torque curve. Interesting at the least.

Xb over and X-1 hmmmm

How about fuel injection?

Better Frame, fuel in the frame?

How about the ZTL/perimeter brakes?

Better suspension?

I have ridden the Duc and Ape. The riding position is better for me on the Buell. I can actually see the road with out putting a crick in my neck. I commute every day and Seeing far ahead is life in heavy traffic.

The best part, the bike has been nearly flawless, A front brake switch failed in three years of ownership. Never been to the shop.

• 1 month later...

After riding with Tpoppa Friday I was so impressed with the Buell I went to see if there had been any talk about them on here. Tpoppa rides the shit out of his so much so that I was thoroughly impressed with him and his bike. I really didn't expect much out of the Buell and boy was I wrong. He has also put one over 30k miles, another feat few achieve with any make of bike.

I'm sorry I missed this thread before we rode together so I could have saved myself the embarrassment of post #65. Exactly how long were you checking your watch waiting for me halfway up 255? After you removed your gloves, helmet, ear plugs, and jacket then went to find a nice shady spot to wait?

They're really fun carving twisties down the mountainside..

It just sucks when you don't have anyone to help you push them back up to the top when you want to do it again.

I like your synopsis on the situation. :lol:

Personally, I've never rode one but I got a woody when I seen the black and red Firebolt in person at Farrow's. It looks like a sportsbike but sounds like a Harley. Mmm...

Yes, it was just the two of us. We both posted a ride report here. http://www.ohio-riders.net/showthread.php?t=29739&page=3 I would ride with him again anytime I know anything can happen but you just know he is riding within his abilities and will be making it home. It's nice to not worry if someone is going to go down that far from home. The roads up here are boring so the only way to get really good riding in is to venture out.

Actually, it was more than half way up 255 about 12 miles. I don't think the wait was over 2 minutes.

It was definitely a fun ride. U.P. was fast on 255, he waited for me. There are a few roads where I dial it down when the sight lines aren't great, like 536, 555, and 255. 255 is the most fun of those 3, but still not one of my favorites.

U.P.

Next time we can go a bit deeper into WV, there are a few roads similiar to 250, but in better condition.

Edited by Tpoppa