Looking at an Air Compressor

bdruggan10r

As the title of the thread says, looking at an air compressor. Don't want anything large. Looking at a store called Harbor Freight USA that sells them. They have stores all over. Can someone tell me if a 115 PSI is going to be enough to run air tools, remove those damn impacted and stuck bolts, etc...

Heck, the oilless pancacke compresser is 100 PSI and is $39.99. What else do I need to look for. What is the gallons? Is that fuel or air?

Would it be easier to ask what the limitations of such a compressor would be?

Here is a link.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayCatItemList.do?category=AIR+COMPRESSORS+AND+ACCESSORIES&subcategory=Air+Compressors&search.subcatid=521

Typically the "gallons" they reference is the volume of the compressed air tank.

If you just want to run an impact, and fill tires, you're probably fine with the lil compressor.

Some of the larger volume tools (air sander, paint gun...etc) you would want more capacity.

I have a 8 gal craftsman, and if I'm trying to paint i have issues with the compressor keeping up with the volume of air i'm shooting.

As the title of the thread says, looking at an air compressor. Don't want anything large. Looking at a store called Harbor Freight USA that sells them. They have stores all over. Can someone tell me if a 115 PSI is going to be enough to run air tools, remove those damn impacted and stuck bolts, etc...

Heck, the oilless pancacke compresser is 100 PSI and is $39.99. What else do I need to look for. What is the gallons? Is that fuel or air?

Would it be easier to ask what the limitations of such a compressor would be?

Here is a link.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayCatItemList.do?category=AIR+COMPRESSORS+AND+ACCESSORIES&subcategory=Air+Compressors&search.subcatid=521

that will work fine..but dont buy shit from harbor freight unless its a one time tool, then dispose of it. buy a nice ridgid or senco

Typically the "gallons" they reference is the volume of the compressed air tank.

If you just want to run an impact, and fill tires, you're probably fine with the lil compressor.

Some of the larger volume tools (air sander, paint gun...etc) you would want more capacity.

I have a 8 gal craftsman, and if I'm trying to paint i have issues with the compressor keeping up with the volume of air i'm shooting.

good post. 2 stage compressors are best for lots of volume ie sandblasting for impact wreches and even running an air nailer that small one should be fine

dont forget about flow rate.. that is the biggest issue with running air tools.
Flow rate? I obviously know nothing about Air Compressors. What is flow rate. How do you check it, is it rated? :confused:

I'm pretty sure there is no flow rating for air compressors. You could calculate it yourself if you know the velocity:

0.25 x 3.14 x (hose diameter)^2 x velocity

Anyways, I wouldn't recommend buying a harbor freight air compressor. Get a small Craftsman. It'll do you just fine.

flow rate- how fast the air is delivered

do yourself a favor and go buy the ridgid twinstack from the depot for around 3-340

I'm not saying I would never spend $340.00 on a compressor, but when I could get one for 39.00, why? That is a serious question. This would be used for occassional bike work and odd garage jobs. A few times a year.

I'm not saying I would never spend $340.00 on a compressor, but when I could get one for 39.00, why? That is a serious question. This would be used for occassional bike work and odd garage jobs. A few times a year.

Because it'll probably break after just a few times.

I have this one:

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00915215000P?vName=Tools+%26+Equipment&cName=Equipment&sName=Compressors+%26+Air+Tools&filter=Product+Type|Air+compressors+%26+inflators

It is on sale for $99 and will last you a lot, lot longer.

What's that? Is there a minimum size for 2 stage compressors?

a 2 dtage is needed when blasting and painting or in used all the time..basically most are bigger, more hp , more cfm, faster recovery time, compresses to a higher pressure, more effeicient, and more monies

I'm pretty sure there is no flow rating for air compressors. You could calculate it yourself if you know the velocity:

0.25 x 3.14 x (hose diameter)^2 x velocity

Anyways, I wouldn't recommend buying a harbor freight air compressor. Get a small Craftsman. It'll do you just fine.

it will usually have cfm @ psi

and different air tools will have a rating too so you can compare

I've had the off brands..... not worth the little bit of money, casper is right they do break down rather quickly.... I'd get a 5 hp porter cable, I've had mine going on 4 years, and I use it daily.....

The smaller weaker air compressors will have to stop and build up pressure more often than a bigger compressor. If you don't mind waiting, it's ok. Air tools love flow rate. If your compressor doesn't meet or exceed the tool's required flow rate, it won't work very well, if at all.

Basically the compressors rated flow rate is it's ability to continuously deliver air at that stated flow rate. That's good for air tools, which just throw the air away as fast as they can.

Does that make sense?

Craftsman sounds attractive, because you can probably get parts to repair them with. If you needed them. Harbor freight may or may not be compressors with a name brand that is repairable.

if you dont mind waiting for the compressor to fill backup its fine, but on bolts that are really on there it sucks. get a 5 gallon it should be fine for running light airtools, but not for sanders, painting, or anything that uses high volume of air pressure for extented periods of time.

It's sort of like buying a computer for the software you plan on running. Decide what air tools you wish to use, and get a compressor that will run them really well.

It's a good idea to exceed the required cfm flow rate, and psi. There will be losses from leaks, pressure restrictions, etc. There is a pressure/flow rate drop in the hose itself. The longer the hose, the less the pressure. Not much, but it adds up as a loss.

it will usually have cfm @ psi

and different air tools will have a rating too so you can compare

Ah, I didn't even think about the CFM. Good call. That should only really apply to things like paint guns though, right?

My God, you know, bikers are the smartest damn people in the Worl.. Ohi.. this forum. Seriously, I never knew there was so much to consider on this. Thanks, keep the info coming.

:lol:

seriously though, there is a high level of intelligence among the regulars here.