ChatterBox XBi2 Bluetooth Wireless Intercom Review

Relboc

We (TheBulbouseOne and I) have recently purchased two ChatterBox XBi2 units. Just wanted to post up some comments, as I have seen some asking about bike communication recently.

The unit employs bluetooth 2 technology. This has made range substantially greater. Apparently the original units were good for rider/passenger or very close bike to bike communication. I have no experience with the original unit, but this is what I have read. The version 2, however, is capable of far greater distances. The company claims 600 meters. The experienced reality with clear communications was actually about half of that, but this is still a significant distance.

The unit also allows you to connect to two bluetooth devices (cell phone/iPod) transition between devices is quite easy, and automatic in most cases.

The units purchased were for full face helmets. Install was fairly simple.

All that being said, I can say that we are quite pleased with our purchases. Having the ability to speak clearly with your riding partner (paring with up to two other units), even at high speeds and with distance between, provides a greater level of safety. No more quick head turns to find someone you can't find in your mirror. Size is quite small. Sound quality is great and units are quite easy to use. The units run $230 msrp each, but you can hunt down a deal.

There are many different opinions out there on phones/music. If these features don't interest you, don't use them. I have the phone paired and have taken a quick call on long rides. When I don't want bothered, I turn it off. Music is nice at a low volume. Helps play down the loud pipe.

All in all, I can say we love the units and would suggest them to anyone with similar needs, a pair or trio that always rides together and wants something more than hand signals and head turns.

Even though they aren't cheep, the fact that I was able to quickly warn him of the rubber mallet I was dodging in front of him at 55mph, I think they have or will pay for themselves quickly!

We give our 2 cents, and 2 thumbs up.

chatterbox-xbi-2.jpg

• 4 months later...
Though I have no personal experience with this, I believe I have read that they will not connect. If I recall correctly, I also think I read the XBi1 and XBi2 don't communicate

you sir are correct.

i have the xbi units in my helmet and also my wifes.. we love them.

My hubby and I use Cellular line Interphone...bluetooth, you don't have to press any buttons, they are always on, so you can talk continuosly. They last about 6 hours at a time. We have had them for 3 years now and had no problems with them. They were $180 each (3 years ago).

At 300-500 yards connection is interrupted.

We absolutely love them. :D

Mel

I have had nothing but great luck selling these at the pony. I get rave reviews, mostly about the quality of the product and the ease of use. Great battery life. I have two demo units at the store if anyone would like to come in and play with them( can't leave store).

You can't go wrong with the XBi2 model. I had the unfortunate opportunity to be riding behind my girlfriend when she took her bike down. She was ok, and I knew that before I got to her because we had voice communication. The units are great. The bike to bike distance is wonderful. The bluetooth phone link is clear as could be. Being able to look out for the other rider, and they for you, and talking vs. hand signals, creates a much safer ride.

I know nothing about these...I might have to go to the pony and fiddle with this. Is the price for 1 unit or a set? My wife and I have talked about these before, but never looked into them.

The price is for one unit. A pair runs about $460. There are two different ones we have in the store, fullface or openface. The only diffrence is the head sets, the unit itself is the same.

• 4 months later...

hello all

I haven't used chatterbox yet. But I have tried blueant F4. I usually enjoy riding above 80km/hr. But everytime, above 65-70, my F4 starts annoying noices, so it becomes impossible for me to enjoy music or stay connected with riders. Its just a useless device for me.

Edited by olper

i just sold 2 of these XBi2 units on saturday, I told them to let me know what they think as soon as they use them. The guy just bought the new red Voyager and 2 3/4 helmets, so there wont be much wind interference from the bike.

they bought em so they can have each of there phones paired to there own XBi2 unit, while riding on the same bike.

i just sold 2 of these XBi2 units on saturday, I told them to let me know what they think as soon as they use them. The guy just bought the new red Voyager....

Correct me if I am wrong, but that bike has built in comm's doesn't it? U just need the cable and mic/speaker set from Ma Kaw. Any experiance with the Scala units, they have a new G4 system out too simular to the chatterbox. They have built in FM but will only pair with one blue tooth item at a time.

Correct me if I am wrong, but that bike has built in comm's doesn't it? U just need the cable and mic/speaker set from Ma Kaw. Any experiance with the Scala units, they have a new G4 system out too simular to the chatterbox. They have built in FM but will only pair with one blue tooth item at a time.

Many people chose to not use factory comm units due to price for headsets or wanting to go wireless. I have experience with all of the scala units. We have the G4's down at pony. They are the only bluetooth units out there that will have a 1 mile reach. The also allow you to play music off of most smart phones (blackberry, iphone). A big improvement for the for the G4 over the Q2 is the addition of a extendable antenna, which helps carrying FM stations better. You can have up to three of the units synced together. Let me know if there is anything else i can help you with. I do have a demo set that you can come down to the store and i can go over them with you.

forget to mention. You can have up to three total bluetooth devices in use at a time. Example the rider is paired with his passenger, he can also be paired to a GPS , and his cell phone.

Edited by ponyjr

I do have a demo set that you can come down to the store and i can go over them with you.

I am going to take you up on that offer, appreciate it. Wife and I have been talking about a road trip to your store already anyway, she needs a few items for our upcoming Lake Superior Circle Tour.

Example the rider is paired with his passenger, he can also be paired to a GPS , and his cell phone.

That answers my main question about the difference. The Scala's won't do that and that is a big deal to me...phone and mp3 player is what I want to hook up for now. tyvm.