Organ Donors - Lifeline of Ohio - Live On. Ride On.

Casper

Are you an organ/tissue donor?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Are you an organ/tissue donor?

• Yes I am
    • No I'm not

traditional roman catholic...the all latin version...i grew up in it and thats how my mom raised me...i am not hating at all..to each there own...

The gospel of life is to be celebrated above all in daily living, which should be filled with self-giving love for others. . . . Over and above such outstanding moments, there is an everyday heroism, made up of gestures of sharing, big or small, which build up an authentic culture of life. A particularly praiseworthy example of such gestures is the donation of organs, performed in an ethically acceptable manner, with a view to offering a chance of health and even of life itself to the sick who sometimes have no other hope (evangelium vitae, no. 86, original emphasis).

fyi

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if it was you that needed an organ? Or you spouse, son or daughter. Wouldn't you want someone who was willing to donate the organs they didnt need anymore so you or your family could live longer? Or they donate them to study on to find a cure for cancer or AIDS and save the life someday of someone you love. Don't be selfish, give the gift of life!

I'm a donor. My feelings, like many others, are that I won't need them anymore after I'm pronounced dead. I think that a lot of people don't really get it until they see the impact it has on somebody they know or love. Knowing someone or even being a person on a waiting list is pure torment. To know you have six months or less to live and the only way to survive is to have an organ transplant but nobody is willing to give when they don't even need them anymore...is the ultimate greed.

I think it is hysterical that Life line is sponsoring a ride.

I wonder if they have a couple of people hiding in Expeditions along the route to help fill a few orders.

So are they feeding the riders before or after the ride?

Last meal, was the thought.

I think it is hysterical that Life line is sponsoring a ride.

I wonder if they have a couple of people hiding in Expeditions along the route to help fill a few orders.

So are they feeding the riders before or after the ride?

Last meal, was the thought.

:lol: That's awesome. Wait til after to feed them. Might have fewer to feed.

I was an organ donor till I got my MC license.

I had it removed because I have the paranoid fear that the Parameds or doctors would treat me as exactly that - an organ donor.

However, if I was actually in such a condition my parents and significant other know I want to be an organ donor. I just removed it from my license because of that fear.

I guess I'm both sides of the coin.

I was told by the US Embassy in London (England not Ohio) that I could not give blood etc for 10 years due to the Mad Cow stuff we had going on... no joke

Unfortunately you may be permanently flagged for donating blood and/or organs if you lived in the UK for longer than 3 months during 1980 to 1996.

(vCJD-the human version of bovine spongiform encephalopathy) :(

Nah, Not only as a firefigher/medic but someone who works in a level 1 trauma ED(Grant), we dont treat trauma's any differently. To be honest, if you are in that bad of a shape, we dont care what your organ donor status is, what your name is, any of that (In the trauma room you are assigned a letter. Trauma A,B etc) Emergency personel's concern is to simply get you better and to mitigate what ever life threats you have going on. Not once in any of the ED's or fire deparments ive worked at have i ever seen anyones life cut short d/t your organ donor status. There are a fair number of motorcyclists who work in the hospital, and a shit ton of firefighters ride as well.

and think about this

NOT THAT THIS HAS EVER BEEN DONE,

but killing someone who is an organ donor wouldnt make sense...To be frank, if organ donation ever made its way into the picture, theoretically, we'de try and keep you alive as long as possible... medically speaking, to keep you alive is to keep your organs alive. Organs need oxygen, blood, a balanced PH, so on. with out organs you dont have much (Obviously organs arnt the only thing you need to live, but you get my drift).

Its a common misconseption, EMS/ER people dont treat you any differently.

I was an organ donor till I got my MC license.

I had it removed because I have the paranoid fear that the Parameds or doctors would treat me as exactly that - an organ donor.

However, if I was actually in such a condition my parents and significant other know I want to be an organ donor. I just removed it from my license because of that fear.

I guess I'm both sides of the coin.

Edited by sturg

just stories and articles of them taking parts before your actually dead. I am just paranoid i guess. Personally i hate doctors (even though my cousin is a doctor).

Number of physicians in the US: 700,000.

Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year: 120,000.

Accidental deaths per physician: 0.171 (U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services)

Number of gun owners in the US: 80,000,000.

Number of accidental gun deaths per year (all age groups): 1,500.

Accidental deaths per gun owner: 0.0000188

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

"FACT: Not everyone has a gun, but everyone has at least one Doctor."

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors before this gets out of hand. As a Public Health Measure, the statistics on Lawyers have been withheld for fear that the shock could cause people to seek medical aid.

^--- Ha! That's awesome, but I'm skeptical. Can you provide a link that verifies those numbers...?

I don't know the real statistics and don't think they're 100% right, I just thought it was funny. Of course, opinions are like assholes...everybody has one. http://www.new-mind.com/Library/doctorsguns.htm

First page that came up in google: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Urban-Legends-3056/deaths-caused-physicians.htm

Answer

Lizbeth,

Ummm, ok, how about if we look at the statistics for accidental choking deaths. Are we going to ban eating?

Comparing statistics like this, one could say almost anything.

In fact, as I was looking this up, it finally hit me what had been bothering me.

The key to their claim is ACCIDENTAL GUN DEATHS. That means if your child (or someone else) takes the gun and kills someone deliberately, that figure isn't in this.

Other data paints a different picture:

http://www.os.dhhs.gov/news/press/2000pres/20000724.html

States that in 1998 only about 4000 children and teens died from firearms. Down from almost 6000 in 1994.

Here is a page that at least tries to take into account the accidental/non-accidental thing:

http://spot.colorado.edu/~tiemann/doctors.html

But in the end, it really is comparing apples and oranges. Doctors see many, many sick people every day. To compare them to gun owners, as is done above, we would have to start by ensuring that each gun owner sees a large number of "patients" every day, each of which wants to play with his gun. (To simulate that most people visiting a doctor are already sick, those visiting the gun owner will have an interest in playing with the gun.) Note that the gun owner can't stay in the room all the time with the patients, but can give some advice while he is in the room.

Ok, enough of my silly scenario. You get the idea. I think Mark Twain said it best:

There are three types of lies. Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics.

Thanks for writing!

Cassandra