Independence cracking down.

Lost1888

Just in case you haven't heard.

Police listening for loud motorcycles in Independence

by John Horton Monday June 08, 2009, 2:09 PM

Motorcyclists are making noise in Independence.

Complaints rolled into Road Rant after city police started cracking down on loud bikes rumbling through the community. "BIKERS BEWARE" one e-mailer warned after he and two buddies received $100 tickets while cruising down Pleasant Valley Road.

The e-mailer wrote that "it's just another way ... to make money off of a public that has been robbed by lawmakers for too long!"

Police Chief John Nicastro said he asked his officers "to start keeping an eye out for loud bikes and to make it a priority." Resident complaints about roars on the corridors drove the campaign, he said. Police wrote a dozen citations in May for muffler violations.

The chief called it "a quality of life issue" and said ticket writing won't slow as long as unmuffled exhaust systems growl on the streets.

"You can put that out there," Nicastro said.

Loud and clear, too.

http://www.cleveland.com/roadrant/index.ssf/2009/06/motorcyclists_are_making_noise.html

In all likely hood it goes for anybody the Police feel like have a loud enough exhaust. Or for whatever reason they may feel could linked to your pipe or lack there of.

Some bikes really need it. Hopefully this only goes for the really obnoxious straight pipes and not bikes with something that actually serves as a muffler.

I hope I see 10 Harley's with screaming eagle exhausts pulled over. I know I'll see 10 sportbikes with slipons instead, but it's good to dream. Those guys get a free pass on everything.

In all likely hood it goes for anybody the Police feel like have a loud enough exhaust. Or for whatever reason they may feel could linked to your pipe or lack there of.

Indeed, this all seems pretty arbitrary. Now if you chopped your pipe off, that's a different story. I would love to know what the decibel level is they're using as the threshold, and how they are measuring it.

I would have to say I find nothing wrong with them doling out tickets for absurdly loud pipes which would mean a majority of Harley's. I am personally sick of hearing them miles ways at any time of day or night. Yes, sportbikes can be loud as well but I would have to say they're much more tolerable even at cruising speeds vs. a Harley.

Maybe I'll buy the Independence po-po a big box of Bic pens so they don't run out of ink.

most people have to go through independence to get to bike nite at qsl..what a fuckin racket man..

that's an excellent point, it's either 271 or some major highway that goes through there to get to Valley View. I wish these people would figure how to balance their own goddamn budgets without resorting to shaking down taxpayers.

I would have to say I find nothing wrong with them doling out tickets for absurdly loud pipes which would mean a majority of Harley's. I am personally sick of hearing them miles ways at any time of day or night. Yes, sportbikes can be loud as well but I would have to say they're much more tolerable even at cruising speeds vs. a Harley.

Maybe I'll buy the Independence po-po a big box of Bic pens so they don't run out of ink.

Good luck with that. We'll see how it fleshes out, as that dude said it's on the way to Valley View bike night, I'm sure they'll have their pick of sport vs. HD's. I firmly expect for the sportbikes to get shafted, AGAIN.

Come to think about it I was through there the other day and passed some police and they didn't pull me over.

I did that 12" can chop this winter that made it quite a bit louder. Whatever if they want to pull me over it could be just one of any other reason they feel I am breaking the law.

Fuck Independence.... they don't have the tools needed to enforce the law, so they'll let it be based off someone's ears

Ohio law.

Muffler Muffler required. Maximum Sound Level Counties and Townships may adopt regulations that establish Max A-weighted sound level based on measurement at a distance not less than 50 feet from center line of travel (Title 45, 4513.221): 1)82dBA at 35 mph or less; 2)86dBA at more than 35 mph.

Take a look at this bullshit:

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

Seriously, so stupid

On a bike night there are plenty of other bike to draw the attention away from me and my 650 twin. Some of the bikes that go down there sound 10x louder than my bike ever could. Not to mention the riders that are pulled over for other reasons but initiated by the sound of their bike.

It's just funny. There is noway they can get them all. What is there on a good summer night, 2-3k bikes?

We should set up a decibel meter at a dyno day and find out.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4513.221

4513.221 Local regulation of passenger car and motorcycle noise.

...(B)(2) For motorcycles: (a) When operated at a speed of thirty-five miles per hour or less, a maximum noise limit of eighty-two decibels;

(b) When operated at a speed of more than thirty-five miles per hour, a maximum noise limit of eighty-six decibels...

Here's the get out of it... local noise enforcement must be posted on the highway...

...(D) No regulation enacted under division (B) of this section shall be effective until signs giving notice of the regulation are posted upon or at the entrance to the highway or part thereof affected, as may be most appropriate.

In my part of town, you can get the ticket for any modification to a motorcycle exhaust, not just how loud it is:

...(E)1) By prohibiting operating or causing to be operated any motor vehicle, agricultural tractor, motorcycle, all-purpose vehicle, or snowmobile not equipped with a factory-installed muffler or equivalent muffler in good working order and in constant operation;

(2) By prohibiting the removing or rendering inoperative, or causing to be removed or rendered inoperative, other than for purposes of maintenance, repair, or replacement, of any muffler;...

Seems to me I read that California was trying to outlaw all exhausts and mufflers that were not factory stock.

They will mainly be after the hogs.... kinda like the state patrol hits semis..... larger pockets. not saying that sport bikers dont have cash, but the average harley rider is older..... just stereotyping. I prefer loud pipes..... They do make it safer for the rider and I would much rather hear a harley rumble past as I would the f'kn bass bullshit. I am a bit older than most of you though.......................

Good luck with that. We'll see how it fleshes out, as that dude said it's on the way to Valley View bike night, I'm sure they'll have their pick of sport vs. HD's. I firmly expect for the sportbikes to get shafted, AGAIN.

It's simple, don't go into or out of QSL like a punk (I'm by no means calling you a punk ;) ) and you won't get a ticket. Just up shift a gear or two and keep it civil. We can control to a point how loud or quiet our bikes can be. Keep the RPM's low and they won't be shafting anyone but the people who ask for it.

I have twice the trouble with a dual Akro Evo setup...pick a side and you'll get an ear full. :grin:

Edited by r1crusher