Tip: Don't crash like I did

Sara_Rides

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask Stitch to do it! or I can do it 2mro

I'll see if he knows what that means, if not I may absolutely ask you to help me with it. I have to take off work a-fucking-gain because I have to pick up my son in the morning

Let me point out I'm not mad that I have to call off to pick up my son, I'm mad because I am going to lose my job for having to do so, and I need another job like yesterday since that's the case...

Edited by Sara_Rides

Glad your ok and yea, It will shake you up and get youthinkin.

Be verry carefull on the pavement on those style tires, dry too but esp. in the wet !! they Can be dangerous and tricky even for an experienced rider !

Adjust the rod going to the drum so it aint so tight.

Yeah it was pretty tight. You just don't have a very good feel with a drum brake, and considering she was on wet (painted) pavement, it didn't take much to fully lock. Plus she was wearing new boots that she wasn't completely used to also.

She primarly uses her front brake only most of the time. The bike has a steel braided line on it so it actually works pretty well. I think she was just worried about using it exclusively in the rain.

As soon as her ankle is better, the first thing I'm gonna do is take her out and have her purposly lock up the rear over and over again so she knows how to handle it next time. (good idea ChrisOH, thanks)

Again, thanks for everyone's support. She's already learned from it and knows it's all part of riding and can't wait to get back on her bike, which hopefully will only be a few days. And I'm sure she'll ride in the rain again too. Hell I ride year round (unless there is actuall snow laying on the roads) without any problems. She's already a good rider and with more experience I believe she's gonna be a great rider. :)

so what happened to coming out to bike night last night??? sheesh even my lame ass made it... and Jagr was there too, so peeps can stop claiming that we are the same person....

We still planned on coming but after she went to the hospital, they stuck her in a brace and on crutches, which was still no big deal, but they gave her some pain meds and they completely knocked her ass out on the couch. I tried to wake her up around 6, but she was pretty out of it, so I just laid down and took a nap too. :)

It sucks cuz we both really wanted to be there and even made special arrangements for her son to stay at his dads for an extra evening so we could go out. :(

Oh well, shit happens. Sorry we missed it but will NOT miss the next one!

• 3 weeks later...

i agree....feel lucky, not to be the "my fish was bigger" guy but i wrecked on dry pavement, broke my wrist 8 places, 25-30 stitches (3 layers) in my chin, and busted 5 teeth w/ i had to have 2 removed and 5300.00 to fix the other three.... and i now know 12o'clock wheelies suck hairy........you get the point! lmao! glad to hear you're ok though! keep riding!

i agree....feel lucky, not to be the "my fish was bigger" guy but i wrecked on dry pavement, broke my wrist 8 places, 25-30 stitches (3 layers) in my chin, and busted 5 teeth w/ i had to have 2 removed and 5300.00 to fix the other three.... and i now know 12o'clock wheelies suck hairy........you get the point! lmao! glad to hear you're ok though! keep riding!

I know someone who 12 o'clock'ed in Mansfield a few years back. I spent a few hours cleaning his road rash..and he was fully geared up. They do suck hairy ones.

• 2 weeks later...

I always go by the rule that if I lock up the back brake then I'm stopping whether I wanted to or not.

Your accident can't be as embarrassing as my first 'spill'. I wasn't even moving! Stopped at a Pizza Hut, saw a car full of hotties and tried to look all cool stepping off my Hardley Davidson. They broke up my routine (yes, their fault. Any questions?). Forgot the kickstand. Failure in 3....2....1....

I realized very quickly that my ankle hurt like a son of a bitch and continued to cry. .....an EMT came when Michael got there and looked at my ankle,

lol

I'm THRILLED you're OK!! I despise riding in the rain!! :mad:Rain is STOOPID and this whole thing is all the rain's fault!!

Did you get that ankle looked at, ma-am? X-rays?

Glad you're ok..

I ride in the rain every chance I get, it keeps the skills and senses sharp. The same rules you would use in a cage apply to a bike in the rain.... take it easy on the brakes (less is more), slow down, stay alert, and assume your safe stopping distance is doubled if not tripled.

i agree....feel lucky, not to be the "my fish was bigger" guy

Hahahahahaa you have no idea if you wanna talk "fish" stories... ;) and there's a lot of people here that can verify my statement. :eek:

No worries though, she's all good and riding like it never happened. Gotta get back on the horse right?? :cool:

I hear that modern tires are about 80% of normal traction in rain. Not counting the slippery spots you have to watch for. I often test traction with the rear brake before deciding how much front brake. And that's a quick tap on the back brake, assuming that traction will be lost and it will slide to the side a bit.

I think it is good to know how to use the rear brake in a series of quick taps that skid back and forth. You never know when you will need to use it, like on gravel or sand. Dirt bike riders already know this.