No jacket.... am I being stupid?

Likwid

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol I opened the floodgates

I suddenly have the urge to encourage "some people" to ride without a jacket or helmet. :lol: It's like human shake and bake! Especially the Red Incredible hulk. :D Talk about the roid rage poster child.

it's not a matter of affordability so much as a hmmm.. how much difference does it make versus the "enjoying the outdoors" piece

So I know it's kind of hipocritical given the other topic about the down rider... but maybe it just comes down to HOW much risk I'm ok taking

My man Matt...I am a gear Nazi to my friends, and proudly wear the title. When you talk about the risk, it's one thing if you knew exactly what risk you were taking. Since accidents, like all of us red filled jellybags, are like snowflakes, you don't know what risk you are taking. My advice is you find a comfy mesh jacket, and they come in all sizes. (I mean that respectfully to, bro.) You get the comfort of wind and the protection of CE armour. My jacket, granted it's leather, was the difference in my 35 MPH accident being just a couple broken bones in my hand and wrist (complimented by a bruise or two) and a shatterd forearm and a ground up shoulder. Plain and simple. You don't prepare for the ride, you prepare for the crash. AGATT, amigo. Just think. If you go down, you will never regret wearing too much gear.

^--- srsly. Listen to Steve-Hoe. He's got some experience in the accident dept. I still can't figure out how that happened though - I mean, who can miss seeing you on something as loud and ugly as an RC? :D

Hey watch it there buddy. I happened to have taken a liking to the RC, even in all of its bug-eyed ugliness.

I mean, who can miss seeing you on something as loud and ugly as an RC? :D

Why you gotta take it THERE SON?!!?:beating:

Seriously though... Rock your gear

Think about it... You'd buy insurance coverage JUST IN CASE an accident occurs... Why wouldn't you give your body some coverage protection JUST IN CASE?

To my twin mounted bretherin, JRMiii is okay. He and I are in a constant state of an ugly bike contest. He's okay though. Just young.

Haha, just playful hating on my side. He does own that SV1000. Not that it makes up for that orange monstrosity next to it they call a booooosuh. ;)

To my twin mounted bretherin, JRMiii is okay. He and I are in a constant state of an ugly bike contest. He's okay though. Just young.

Good thing that you were able to co-sign for him... Otherwise his comments wouldn't be well-received. J/K

I like JRMiii also (No Homo). He thinks before he posts.

Haha, just playful hating on my side. He does own that SV1000. Not that it makes up for that orange monstrosity next to it they call a booooosuh. ;)

It's uglier than home made sin. Fast as shit in a straight line, but really..who wants that thing hanging aroudn anyway. :D But his SV is nice. Vedddy niiiice.

I'm not gonna tell you what you should do, you make your own choice. I WILL tell you about some of my experiences....

I used-ta ride in jeans and t-shirts; have a bit of rash on my left arm and knees from an "instantaneous" get-off in '86 or so. Happened so quick I still don't know what happened! Was wearing a helmet. Good bit of rash that I cleaned up myself (LOTS of neosporine!)

Had another get-off (yea, young and dumb!) in '91 about 60+mph going round a cloverleaf ramp. Had JUST taken leather riding jacket off (hot day) 1min before crashing. Shoei saved my noggin!

Left arm broken in numerous places, LOTS of rash! E.R. nurses seem to be sadists when it comes to cleaning road rash on MC riders. I think some of them get off on it! The treatment I received cleaning up the rash was more painful than the broken arm! I still have a nice friction tattoo from that (it doesn't tan well)!

Riding is a choice we all make, and the gear we wear is also a choice. Did I enjoy riding without the gear? Yes. Would I do it now? NO!! I learned from my mistakes and misfortunes.

Riding ATGATT does not make you immortal and may not save your life, but it does very frequently make a positive difference. Just as seat belts and air bags have made car crashes more survivable, MC gear makes MC crashes more survivable.

I have a Tourmaster Transition II jacket I wear most of the time, FirstGear Mesh Tech for when it's hot. I think it's actually cooler to wear the mesh jacket then a T-shirt; the air flows right through it and I don't get a sun burn. Not to mention the bugs and crap....

Think about it, THEN decide!

I'd suggest wearing your gear most, if not all, the time. It's understandable to want to be comfortable, but safety first. With that being said, I rode 270 in shorts/tshirt yesterday for a quick trip to pony. Sawmill to rt3. At 80-90mph, the wind sucks! I had helmet and gloves on but the tshirt was irritating me and the heat on my bare legs was not enjoyable. I won't do that too often.

There are some sweet 'summer' jackets out there. i have one from joe rocket that offers the same air flow as if i'm not wearing a jacket...but keeps my tshirt in place and prevents the irritation.

Aww... vtwin love. My SV is ok, I only got it for the color. I need to put some pipes on it like you've got, I can't even hear it when I'm riding next to the RC. That thing sounds vicious.

Get ya a set of cans for that thing and make yourself heard! They don't have to be as obnoxious as mine. Hell, I think of everyone who has heard my pipes, I like them the least. I liked the sound of my Leo's better. I need to gets a PC quick though. It could run soooo much better.

And I have unintentionally and successfully hijacked Likwid's thread.:eek:

Get ya a set of cans for that thing and make yourself heard! They don't have to be as obnoxious as mine. Hell, I think of everyone who has heard my pipes, I like them the least. I liked the sound of my Leo's better. I need to gets a PC quick though. It could run soooo much better.

And I have unintentionally and successfully hijacked Likwid's thread.:eek:

What pipes?

His Akros

Ya know, I've noticed the Akras on 4 cylinders are quiet and very understated but if you put them on a V-twin they are very loud and mean. I rode an RSV with a full Akra titanium exhaust and it sounded like a bat outta hell.

Ya know, I've noticed the Akras on 4 cylinders are quiet and very understated but if you put them on a V-twin they are very loud and mean. I rode an RSV with a full Akra titanium exhaust and it sounded like a bat outta hell.

:plus1: my akra is whisper quiet usually

Akros as in akrapovic? I have full Ti race akrapovic on my GSXR 750 and they are definitely not quite by any stretch. The full race arrows on my duc are louder though. Twin FTW!

Akrapovic

Picture190.jpg

Arrows!

Exhaust.gif

Edited by vw151