I need advice from veteran riders

kitani2126

I'm no expert yet but I took the MSF with those Honda 250 Rebels.....didn t feel spunky enough.

My 1st ride was a 98 GS500E... spent about 2 months on it before I got my Ducati 748..

I admit it was a quick ascent and it seems i'm fixated on 250CC jumps 0 to 250 to 500 to 750 (748 really but eh...)

Thing is, I know I'm no expert and i don t try to do stupid things, especially not in traffic.... This summer I'm planning a track not because I wanna go fast but because I wanna learn MY limits on MY bike in a "safe" haven.

I'm no expert yet but I took the MSF with those Honda 250 Rebels.....didn t feel spunky enough.

My 1st ride was a 98 GS500E... spent about 2 months on it before I got my Ducati 748..

I admit it was a quick ascent and it seems i'm fixated on 250CC jumps 0 to 250 to 500 to 750 (748 really but eh...)

Thing is, I know I'm no expert and i don t try to do stupid things, especially not in traffic.... This summer I'm planning a track not because I wanna go fast but because I wanna learn MY limits on MY bike in a "safe" haven.

+1 for being smart and safe.

I guess every new rider asks this. You need to consider the following factors

1st what type of riding do you plan to do? (Offroad, Back roads and gravel, long distance travel, weekends and cruises, not sure?)

2nd What type of bike are you familiar with? (In your sace a ninja 250)

3rd Price range? Used bike vary as much as new. Set a price limit and then research all the bikes available in that range.

4th your height, size, physical strength? (Don't want a little rebel if your 6ft and 200 lbs) :-)

If you have experience with the Ninja 250 and like it I'd say the idea of moving your husband onto a bigger ride might play out well for both of you. If the Ninja isn't your style or seems too agressive you might think about smaller 100 - 200cc dual sport bikes. If your more into the cruiser look the Rebel is an old standard but there is also the Kawasaki Eliminator 125, $2799 brand new. :eek:

Tell your husband you wanna spend a Saturday looking at motorcycles.:popcorn: I doubt he'll say no.;)

Edited by buildit

Nope I wont say no. She can take the 250, she really likes it, and Ill get a 600. :D Very well put tho Buildit.

Not sure if you're looking for a new 600 or used, my bike has gotten very good reviews and is one of the least expensive ones around new at around $7K...

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/yamaha/2009-yamaha-fz6r-ar63696.html

A 250 is cheap so when you drop it, cause you will, you won't feel so bad about what you just did. On the other hand, people in cars are retards and don't see you most of the time so you won't have the power to get out of their way when you need to. Get a used 600.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I just bought my first bike last year it was a Honda Rebel. It is 250cc, regular size bike and gets up to 70 mph. I researched and was told this is a great starter bike. IT IS. This year I upgraded to a Harley Sportster XL1200 Low! The Rebel will make you feel confident on a bike, and it is easy to take your test. I started to ride also because my husband rode.

I had a friend who got a Sportster. First time we went riding she told me she had trouble making Left turns. I couldn't figure out why till I saw how big the bike was for her. When she would go to turn left the throttle moved out of her reach! :lol: