LED Signal Problems

Big Speazy

So heres the deal:

Went to the pony last weekend and bought new LED signals for the 500. I wasn't thinking when I got all 4, that I'd need some load equalizers. So i started to wire without the le's. Once i got the back two LEDs on all worked fine (albeit fast blinking).

I hooked up the fronts expecting to have it work the same way. but when i tried, they all flashed hazards when the bike is on. But they don't flash at all w/o it on, where it did before.

So i unhooked one and put the original back on. The signal works fast for the side that has 2 leds on it... (if 2 leds on right, right side signals ok turning right. but if you try the left, all four flash again. left side 2 leds, left ok, right not so ok.) :wtf:

The load Equalizers did not seem to help hooking them both to the back signals...

Any suggestions?

I tired it last night, but got fed up with it. I will try front ones tonight if it would make a diff.

regarding the fast blinking. you can get a relay that is time based rather than draw based. meaning it will flash every X regardless of draw.

are you sure you wired everything correctly?

wiring is correct. reconnected originals (to check) and they work on front when connected...

leds only work wired, tried switching them as a first choice to fix.

I'll check back in tomorrow here, can't get online at home. Sucks to be broke.

I think if you have dual filament lights, LED's will not work properly without some sort of converter, maybe something like this--

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=212026&store=Main&catId=&productId=p212026&leafCatId=&mmyId=

Check with the manufacturer of your lights, they should have something that works for your bike.

I think if you have dual filament lights, LED's will not work properly without some sort of converter, maybe something like this--

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=212026&store=Main&catId=&productId=p212026&leafCatId=&mmyId=

Check with the manufacturer of your lights, they should have something that works for your bike.

I can make that for Half the price, I posted a how to and schematic on this forum somewhere not too long ago...

You might check out the thread on Ducati.MS

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=54639&page=68

YellowDucking is doing this fantastic build out on his 996 and is using an electronic relay so he can replace all his lights with LEDs without having to muss with resisters and stuff. Might fit your bike as well.

I want to replace all of the light bulbs on the bike with LEDs.

If you guys are doing LEDs, I highly recommend replacing the stock flash relay with one of these electronic relay.

I got this from a local auto shop store for around $10.

thanks guys. I messed around with it a bit last night, and to my surprise it works now..

All i did was refasten the load equalizer to the front signal, and now the leds work for the directions.

Will the fast blinking cause any problems? I think it actually makes people more aware of the signals, which is a plus in my book.

Will the fast blinking cause any problems? I think it actually makes people more aware of the signals, which is a plus in my book.

I'm not an expert, but I would think that the worst it would do is wear out the flasher relay a bit faster then normal - but I can't imagine it would be by much at all...