Inspection requirements

Likwid

Does anyone know where to find, or have some experience with Ohio inspections?

My buddy built a bike and he's freaking out about inspection. He's custom fabricated a good part of it and he said the state highway patrol has a recording that says you need to have receipts for everything....

Anywhere you can direct me to? I know there is the "what's required in Ohio" stuff like daytime running lamps for newer bikes, turn signals, handlebars <15"... but there are state laws governing how bright lights are and all that jazz.

Thanks in advance!

my 954 was salvaged due to a dent in the frame. i filled then dent with some metal filler and painted over it. they never asked for a receipt. you don't have to have receipts for work done by you. they will ask you questions, but usually it's cool. mine was a painless adventure. they looked at it for 5 minutes after waiting 4 months for them to look at it. good thing i could ride it on the 30 day tag i got with the bill of sale.. :)

They want receipts for new and used parts that are on the bike to make sure they arent stolen. the fabbed parts wont be a problem as long as you have all the required parts: lights, horn etc. They have pamphlets at the DMV that explain whats required.

If it's like the car inspections (I couldn't imagine it's any different) they're mainly checking for stolen parts. On a bike, I can imagine they will check for all the lights, etc to be working. FYI, as long as all the basic stuff is in place, I wouldn't worry about it. A car will fail if the VIN is painted over on a fender if it's supposed to be there, though unless it has an aftermarket sticker on it.

I'm going Thursday 07/02/09 @ 2pm. Alum Creek in Cbus.

Wanna roll with me? I'm getting my ZedX inspected.

It's pretty straight forward. Have receipts for stuff you bought. I didn't finish some areas (tail plastics) to show I did it myself. I don't want it too pretty that they won't believe me.

I'm going Thursday 07/02/09 @ 2pm. Alum Creek in Cbus.

Wanna roll with me? I'm getting my ZedX inspected.

It's pretty straight forward. Have receipts for stuff you bought. I didn't finish some areas (tail plastics) to show I did it myself. I don't want it too pretty that they won't believe me.

So I totally would if I was near Cbus and it was my bike LOL. Also, his bike isn't ready, he's freaking out, been working on the bike for some 3 years or something and just hasn't finished it. But he was freaking out because he didn't want to have to mess with it once it was finished.

The pretty versus handmade... I would HOPE the people at the inspection wouldn't question it... anyone with a quarter of a brain would look at the bike, in primer/bare metal, that looks NOTHING like ANY piece is brand new and go "holy crap, nice work, here's your vin sticker"

I'll relay the information to him, post some pics of your bike... would like to see the custom work (and what you took to inspection), he'll appreciate it for sure.

Not really custom. I just took the tail platics that had about 5 feet of fractures and broken off pieces and plastic welded them all back together. Post inspection I will sand it, coat it and have it painted.