noticable vibration in the bars when I let go

Tbone9191

I was riding down the road yesterday at about 45 to 50 MPH and I let go of the handlebars completely and the front end started to Vibrate back and forth. I didn't let it go long to find out what the problem was but I have been on bikes for some time now and have yet to ever see one do that (even on a bicycle). Please let me know if anyone has ever run into this and if so what is that all about?:stfu:

I was riding down the road yesterday at about 45 to 50 MPH and I let go of the handlebars completely and the front end started to Vibrate back and forth. I didn't let it go long to find out what the problem was but I have been on bikes for some time now and have yet to ever see one do that (even on a bicycle). Please let me know if anyone has ever run into this and if so what is that all about?:stfu:

I'm assuming you have spoke wheels? I had some vibration problems lately, wheels were out of true. 45-50 is where it got bad.

Clamp a wire close to the wheel, spin the wheel and see it moves a way from the wire. If so, take it over Honda NW or somewhere to get them fixed up. Dustin in Tipp City will take good care of you if you want to drive a bit.

I'm assuming you have spoke wheels? I had some vibration problems lately, wheels were out of true. 45-50 is where it got bad.

Clamp a wire close to the wheel, spin the wheel and see it moves a way from the wire. If so, take it over Honda NW or somewhere to get them fixed up. Dustin in Tipp City will take good care of you if you want to drive a bit.

Thanks bud, I will give that a try tonight.

doinwrong.jpg

I had the same problem @ 50+ mph til I got new tires recently. I would say a cupped tire is the problem. How many miles do you have on your front tire?

I think 12G. I will find out for sure. I just bought it about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

I only have 4600 miles on it

is there a way to check the tires ? Or check the whole thing before taking it somewhere ?

I'm going to guess you have the original Dunlop K630 on the front. Mine looked great, until I really scrutinized it, then I noticed it wqas slightly cupped. Once I dismounted it, I could tell it was really bad. Lots of tread left, I just wasn't comfortable with anything not being quite right, especially tires. I got a set of the Bridgestone Battlax BT-45's front and rear. Love them so far.

OP, check for cupping, I saw a couple cruisers last weekend that were having cupping issues, and of course I'll concur with the others to check to see if it's running true.

Just look at the tread. All of the tread blocks should be even. On my original dunlops's it wasn't all that obvious, I actually could see it better from the side, yet still slightly above the tire. Hard to explain! lol

The tire is not the only thing that will cause this, of course. This is just what it happened to be on my bike. With the lower mileage you have on your bike, I would doubt it's anything else.

Just look at the tread. All of the tread blocks should be even. On my original dunlops's it wasn't all that obvious, I actually could see it better from the side, yet still slightly above the tire. Hard to explain! lol

The tire is not the only thing that will cause this, of course. This is just what it happened to be on my bike. With the lower mileage you have on your bike, I would doubt it's anything else.

tires get like that from a improperly setup suspension. honestly. that's the god honest truth.

in the sportbike world we have adjustable suspensions. guys will set them up so it "feels" right to them but the tires will wear something awful. that's because they have it set up all wrong.

without being able to adjust the suspension, you are going to be stuck with that type of a problem for the most part.

depending which edge of the tread is raised tells you if it's too much rebound dampening or not enough.

suspension is almost all rebound control. that's the most important.

a lot of guy like to blame it on under inflation etc. but they are wrong. some of it might be. but it's almost always a rebound problem.

about the moving of the bars, I would look into balancing the tire first.

Edited by serpentracer