Trooper Clocked at 147!!!

jporter12

Actually the OS Trooper was only relocated. That is what I had last read. But the other officer was fired. Not sure if something else had changed since. But, that was what I had read about it. Truly think that they both should have lost there jobs. With no excuses!! They knew better, and should suffer the consequences, just like any of us would have had to do!!!

don't think they should have lost their job just as I don't think anyone should loose their job for that. It's a misdemeanor traffic offense. :wtf:

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no one is being a stickler here and i'm not gonna rehash all this thread, but 147 on a busy interstate is stupid. Yes, i've hit 130 on a back country road that sees maybe a car an hour before that i've ridden numerous times to be certain of beforehand. And yes, i cant guarantee that no car will come the otherway, but i sure as hell can see 1/2 mile down the road before i decide to test out the throttle. If i'd been caught, i'd have had to pay the consequences. I'm not saying i shouldnt get a ticket if i get caught either. I am saying that NO ONE here will ever feel bad for someone getting caught being that stupid on the interstate or any other busy public road for that matter..

130mph on a back road is better than 147 on an interstate?! I love your reasoning. And if you get caught, I doubt you'd lose your job...or get transferred or get ridiculed in public. Speeding is speeding. I don't know the road conditions on your back road when you did 130 and I don't know the road conditions on the interstate when he was doing 147. And for seeing 1/2 down the road...I'm sure you can see 1/2 on many parts of I70...I'm very familiar with 70, east of Columbus.

point is endangering your own life versus endangering others lives as well. if you cant see the difference between flying down a highway, risking hitting another vehicle and injuring/killing someone else, and blazing down an empty road risking only your own life, then i guess, there's no convincing you. and yeah, i would lose my job since i drive a vehicle for a living. 6 points on the license = fired no matter what the violation.

Anyone who drives for a living should understand that traffic convictions will impact them more than those who don't.

Anyone who works in a position of trust should understand that they are held to a higher standard than the rest of us.

I hate to see anyone lose a job, especially in this economy, but we have no choice but to defer to those who are in the position to make that call. The only person who is responsible for this is the person with his hand on the throttle.

Let's keep this in context... He's lucky the worst that happened is losing his job - many people riding much more safely than that have lost their lives.

point is endangering your own life versus endangering others lives as well. if you cant see the difference between flying down a highway, risking hitting another vehicle and injuring/killing someone else, and blazing down an empty road risking only your own life, then i guess, there's no convincing you. and yeah, i would lose my job since i drive a vehicle for a living. 6 points on the license = fired no matter what the violation.

You don't know how much traffic was on this road at the time.

• 5 months later...
Good.

i agree. he paid his speeding fine, and the infraction has no bearing on his ability to perform his job.

regardless of your job, it's the court system's responsibility to punish you for breaking laws, not your employer's.

to me, this is really not different than if he'd be convicted of tax evasion...

that's not to say there aren't offenses that I think he SHOULD have been fired for. (i.e. a violent crime)

i agree. he paid his speeding fine, and the infraction has no bearing on his ability to perform his job.

regardless of your job, it's the court system's responsibility to punish you for breaking laws, not your employer's.

that's not to say there aren't offenses that I think he SHOULD have been fired for. (i.e. a violent crime)

IMO, I don't think he deserves his job back. With the laws he broke and I'm sure there were a few COBC violations for the GPD that were broken, he got what he deserved. If they would have charged him with everything they would have charged you or I with he wouldn't see a drivers license for a few years. No drivers license = no patrol duty or in my case no job. This idiot got off easy.

^ did he get off easy, or does this illustrate that our criminal law system punishes 'average' offenders too harshly?

I didn't see what his sentence or fine actually was, and THAT is his punishment. The 90 days w/o pay from work is like your employer sending you home for getting a speeding ticket. If driving is part of your job, they may have a point. I'm just putting the idea out there.

Can't believe he's getting his job back :nono:

I don't do 147 because any time the thought crosses my mind I think "oh shit the cops will get me". This asshole probably thought "hell, I AM the cops!!" and did it anyway. That's why this bothers me.

^ did he get off easy, or does this illustrate that our criminal law system punishes 'average' offenders too harshly?

I didn't see what his sentence or fine actually was, and THAT is his punishment. The 90 days w/o pay from work is like your employer sending you home for getting a speeding ticket. If driving is part of your job, they may have a point. I'm just putting the idea out there.

If he got an "undisclosed" punishment, that's fine too. If your employer sees that you recently got a ticket for 90 OVER the speed limit and your job involved driving a company vehicle every day, yes, I'm positive they'd send you home and for a hell of a lot longer than 90 days.

However, at least this guy had to live for 90 days without pay. The good ol' boy trooper just got reassigned to Marysville, probably just outside the commotion this was causing in Columbus, and given a 5-day slap and probation.

+1....I'll even leave out my pathetic attempt to be comical. ;)

Can't believe he's getting his job back :nono:

I don't do 147 because any time the thought crosses my mind I think "oh shit the cops will get me". This asshole probably thought "hell, I AM the cops!!" and did it anyway. That's why this bothers me.

No, you don't do 147 cuz you ride a 650R

:D

It's one thing to get reinstated, it's another thing to regain the trust and respect of the citizens.

<object width="429" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://vp.mgnetwork.net/viewer.swf?u=285bc9e67e11102da6fd001ec92a4a0d&z=CMH" ></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://vp.mgnetwork.net/viewer.swf?u=285bc9e67e11102da6fd001ec92a4a0d&z=CMH" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="429" height="295"></embed></object>

I trust that my local police officers are human beings capable of making mistakes.

Yes, it's painfully ironic when an officer gets caught doing what he is paid to stop others from doing. But he served his penalty and it was shown that his dismissal was not in line with GPD guidelines and that means he gets his job back.