Trooper Clocked at 147!!!

jporter12

Taken from the Newark Advocate, 7-6-2009:

"Newark — An off-duty Ohio Highway Patrol trooper has been cited for driving 147 mph on Interstate 70, according to Licking County Municipal Court records and an patrol spokesman.

p-e4m3Yko6bFYVc.gif?labels=NewsAndReference,CultureAndSociety

On June 26, a Granville Post trooper pulled over Jason E. Highsmith, 35, after he was clocked at more than double the posted speed limit of 65 mph on his 2008 Kawasaki motorcycle on the Licking Township portion of the interstate, the citation states.

The ticket was filed Monday at the municipal court.

Highsmith is a member of the patrol’s Motorcycle Unit based out of the Patrol’s Columbus district headquarters, Lt. Shawn Davis said.

His listed address on the ticket matches the patrol’s district headquarters location at 2855 W. Dublin-Granville Road, Columbus.

Davis said that Highsmith will not be suspended, face any possible discipline or be reassigned until his case concluded.

“Citing him in the court is the first step that we have to go to and whenever the court action is over will go to our next step,” he said.

Highsmith must appear at arraignment on Wednesday morning. If he doesn’t contest the citation, he will be able to pay the fine issued by Judge Michael Higgins — the scheduled arraignment judge for this week — afterward."

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it'll get quietly brushed under the rug I bet he probally rode away as well , my last "major" ticket was 132 in a 65 and the bike got impounded and I spent the night in jail for court in the morning , bet he didnt get that special treatment

AWESOME! :lol: Hope the news spreads like a virus across the nation like the guy in Minnesota that supposedly went 200mph many years ago. I doubt it though because they don't too many people knowing a TROOPER did this. :nono:

Edited by NinjaNick

I know Jason. He's a pretty good guy who just got back in to riding. Last I saw him he, along with 4 other state troopers on bikes, stopped at Iron Pony on Memorial Day while we were waiting for a group ride. Yeah, he's a cop...but I guess he has a need for speed like the rest of us. I bet if he caught one of you speeding he'd give you a warning. Go easy on the guy.

I'm not up for hanging the guy, I just expect him to be held to the same standards as the restof the public. He was off duty, and had no business going that fast (I'm not innocent in going double the speed limit, BTW...)

On that same note, I HAVE known of several situations of late where LEO's have broken laws while off duty and have lost their jobs. What's right is right.

I've had cops tell me if they get too many speeding tickets they can lose their job. This ticket could change his careers. Time will tell.

If this is his first...hopefully it's just a slap on the wrist. At least he wasn't stealing donuts or something like that ;)

I know Jason. He's a pretty good guy who just got back in to riding. Last I saw him he, along with 4 other state troopers on bikes, stopped at Iron Pony on Memorial Day while we were waiting for a group ride. Yeah, he's a cop...but I guess he has a need for speed like the rest of us. I bet if he caught one of you speeding he'd give you a warning. Go easy on the guy.

Not if he wants to keep his job. Cops give tickets... they are like IRS agents with guns. If they don't give tickets.... they get fired and the Chief finds a cop who will write tickets. It's a well known part of their budget.

But more to the point, A cop should be held to a higher standard because they are charged by soceity with the duty of enforcing the law. This man, obviously felt he was above the same laws he would arrest you for breaking. I say throw the book at him.

if he really is a "cool" guy like those who know him says, I'm for keeping the guy on the force. We don't need to lose anymore cops that are on our side. That said, we don't need any cops that are hired strictly to give out tickets either, but I'm sure most cops have done more than just give out traffic tickets in their careers. At least, I'm hoping.

Not if he wants to keep his job. Cops give tickets... they are like IRS agents with guns. If they don't give tickets.... they get fired and the Chief finds a cop who will write tickets. It's a well known part of their budget.

But more to the point, A cop should be held to a higher standard because they are charged by soceity with the duty of enforcing the law. This man, obviously felt he was above the same laws he would arrest you for breaking. I say throw the book at him.

:slap::boxing: easy on the IRS agent comments, LEOs are held to a higher standard by all of society...if LEOs were not then we would be having this thread. Do we enforce the law, yes(well, most of us do lol). Do some LEOs who are idiots while off duty make all other LEOs look dumb, unfortunately. Why are all LEOs judged by these few idiots? I am not for or against throwing the book at him, lets not just get everyone to jump on the cop hater throw the book at him bandwagon, besides he wasnt a cop...he is a trooper, they are not police officers haha. :rulez::popcorn::D P.S. not all officers are jerks, and contrary to popular belief, most set good examples, its the few that make poor decisions sometimes here and there that stereotypes all LEOs.

:slap::boxing: easy on the IRS agent comments, LEOs are held to a higher standard by all of society...if LEOs were not then we would be having this thread. Do we enforce the law, yes(well, most of us do lol). Do some LEOs who are idiots while off duty make all other LEOs look dumb, unfortunately. Why are all LEOs judged by these few idiots? I am not for or against throwing the book at him, lets not just get everyone to jump on the cop hater throw the book at him bandwagon, besides he wasnt a cop...he is a trooper, they are not police officers haha. :rulez::popcorn::D P.S. not all officers are jerks, and contrary to popular belief, most set good examples, its the few that make poor decisions sometimes here and there that stereotypes all LEOs.

By and large I would have to agree with you. Most LEOs are good guys.

The ones who aren't are a real pain to deal with. I have had the un-happy experience of running accrossed a few in my time. Wrong place, wrong time. Had no idea what was going on but I must have been one of 'Those damn bikers'.

Had some good experiences to, so I can't wave the flag one way or the other.

Most of the time I have found that if I give them the chance to cool with me, by being cool with them it works out the best.

I highly support police officers who follow the same code they enforce. (I have friends who are officers and my first degree was in CJ... so I have the education as well) The probem with not throwing the book at someone who is not "nearly" above the law... is that is sets a precident. Which laws will he choose to enforce while on duty? Which laws will he let slide? An officer is not supposed to have the descression to enforce the laws they agree with and not others... that is for the courts to decide, so how can you honestly suggest he will faithfully uphold the law, when he breaks it in his free time? What about the $500 in cash he finds during the arrest? I say it's a slippery slope.

Edited by blacktalon606

Im suprised the other cop even wrote the ticket, 99 times out of 100 the other cop would say " oh shit buddy, i didn't realize you were a cop too, were on the same team, take it easy, see you later "...