cyber attacks from North Korea

dmagicglock

We recently had some cyber attacks on government websites, trying to redirect traffic and crash government websites so that those who needed access would not be able to get it. The government has gone as far as to say that the attacks came from North Korea. If they were government sponsored attacks....

Should nations view attacks on "virtual space" (which is a threat to national security) similarly to physical attacks? Do attacks like these constitute aggression or cause for military action? I'm just curious to see people's opinions on this...

We recently had some cyber attacks on government websites, trying to redirect traffic and crash government websites so that those who needed access would not be able to get it. The government has gone as far as to say that the attacks came from North Korea. If they were government sponsored attacks....

Should nations view attacks on "virtual space" (which is a threat to national security) similarly to physical attacks? Do attacks like these constitute aggression or cause for military action? I'm just curious to see people's opinions on this...

Physical attacks are responded to with military action where required. You can be sure the the military is responding with electronic military responses for electronic attacks as well.

Every attack requires a response, but we have more means available than precision guided missiles. Flounder has the right idea... though it may be a more clandestine organization returning fire for the states than the military, I'm sure we are not giving away free shots to the DPRK.

Every attack requires a response' date=' but we have more means available than precision guided missiles. Flounder has the right idea... though it may be a more clandestine organization returning fire for the states than the military, I'm sure we are not giving away free shots to the DPRK.[/quote']

I hope so.

+1, to those suggesting an "eye for an eye" approach. Electronic attacks will be countered with electronic attacks. One should not want to escalate the situation beyond the virtual space. If DPRK escalates, then we have the strategic option to escalate to their level.

I say we unblur their Hentai and send it back to them. Fry their little Korean brains.

+1, to those suggesting an "eye for an eye" approach. Electronic attacks will be countered with electronic attacks. One should not want to escalate the situation beyond the virtual space. If DPRK escalates, then we have the strategic option to escalate to their level.

I say we unblur their Hentai and send it back to them. Fry their little Korean brains.

Justin, i know we usually disagree but I want to give you a +1 rep for using a "hentai" reference... :lol:

every attack requires a response' date=' but we have more means available than precision guided missiles. Flounder has the right idea... Though it may be a more clandestine organization returning fire for the states than the military, i'm sure we are not giving away free shots to the dprk.[/quote']

dprk = ?

nuke 'em till they glow, then shoot 'em in the dark.

like we should have done already in the bad parts of the middle east.

+1 I'm already tired of hearing the threats to wipe us off the face of the earth. Kill them all.

I wouldnt say that this particular electronic attack requires a physical reaction rather than a returned electronic action, but some electronic actions can and will require an immediate reaction using force. With the amount of information on the electronic data bases around the world, everything from general info to top secret info, it can be devastating to our economy, military forces, defense capabilities and many other things which would require more than an e-mail or a hacker.

nuke 'em till they glow, then shoot 'em in the dark.

like we should have done already in the bad parts of the middle east.

It is hard to justify philosophically, but I must say that in some cases I definitely subscribe to the "nuke them from orbit and let Allah sort them out." Iran, China, and the DPRK would be great places to start...

seriously no, attack on teh interwebs does not require physical sanctions....

But I'm not against us packet bombing the SHIT out of the source... private company, government, individual person.

Perhaps not NECESSARY, but if you bomb the particular building where government sanctioned and supported cyber attacks are being generated I could see that as being an appropriate response.... Especially since we have the ability to pick the particular window on the building we want the bomb to enter. Not like the old days where we had to level the whole block to get the building we wanted.

dprk = ?

The official name for North Korea. "Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea" Four words (5 counting "of") and three are lies... there is nothing democratic, republic, or for the people in North Korea. Not until someone kills their leader and the rest of his maligned bloodline.

I wouldnt say that this particular electronic attack requires a physical reaction rather than a returned electronic action, but some electronic actions can and will require an immediate reaction using force. With the amount of information on the electronic data bases around the world, everything from general info to top secret info, it can be devastating to our economy, military forces, defense capabilities and many other things which would require more than an e-mail or a hacker.

I agree, this is kind of what I was eluding to, I think that with the ever changing technological world... eventually we'll see a retaliation of physical force from a "virtual attack". Because our society is so dependent on online banking and internet, that a major attack there could probably effect the country just as negative as someone bombing us. So far tho', they're yet to do any serious online damage, lets hope it stays that way