Wish me luck

Lunatik3

That sucks man, when i did mine back in the day they had a practice lot set up too, and told guys that failed to go practice and get to the end of the line if they wanted!

They were super cool though, didnt even fail the guy that pulled an endo in the emergency stop part on a cbr cause his feet didnt hit the ground until the bike stopped and he technically didnt dump it. I think that was the first stuntah I ever saw ;)

My problem is the 2nd part (weave). That is where I failed the two times I've taken it. This time they gave me the measurements to the course so I could practice without driving all the way to a BMV with a test area.

the key to the weave, and the U turn (and really pretty much riding in general) is to look WHERE you want to go, not where you are going.

dont look down at the cone you just passed (or ran over). look at the NEXT cone. once you get close to it, start looking at the NEXT cone after that.... once you get to a cone you should already be setting up the next one.

same with the U turn. turn your head around as far as you can and look over your shoulder where you want to go :)

Wow..that sucks! Next time, don't worry about the speed. I don't think they'll take that many points off and you get to do it again if it's not fast enough. I would take it at a different DMV though. :)

Good luck next week :) Keep us updated. Could you tape it next time :)

Test is actually easier on a cruiser too. The pitiful lock to lock on a sportbike make the sub 20mph maneuvers (ie: everything in the test) pretty rough.

Easier on a cruiser? When I took mine, there were 5 people testing that day. The first guy was on a hog. That dude leaned that sucker over more than I have ever seen someone lean one trying to do the U turn but couldn't make it. Then on the cones he hit a couple and failed. He looked like a damn good rider to me... but he wasn't even close. Maybe it was a tighter than normal course or something... but I didn't see how it could be done on a cruiser. I was number 2 and passed. While I was getting my paperwork done #3 and #4 went... they were both on dirtbikes and failed. #5 Was on a Katana and you could tell he hadn't practiced the U turn enough... the dude on the harley was tighter. lol.

The guy that went after me was on a big cruiser and completed it with ease. It almost seemed like his front wheel turned more. There was also a kid there on a sport bike that was complaining that he would never pass bc his turning radius was limited by the bike and not his skill... hrm.

yeah its to get your endorsement. Can retest in 1 week. Just kicking myself cuz I've done the swerve 100 times perfect. I practice every day on the way home from work at the BMV on Broad/70

There are 4 parts to the test

1. 90 Degree turn to a stop, No speed req.

Accelerate slow, make 90deg turn and then another to finally stop with front tire in a box approx 4x3:)

2. Cones, 5 cones, No speed req

Maneuver through staggered/slalom type setup then wide turn to a U-turn with 2 different sizes of turn area (over/under 500cc):)

3. Quick stop, 12-20mph

Accelerate to 12-20 and maintain speed until front tire reaches marked line. Then make a quick but safe stop.:o

4. Swerve, 12-20mph

Same basic course as the quick stop but instead of a stop, at marked line swerve right to avoid imaginary "obstacle":eek: and continue on.

(Where I blew it)

Up until #4 I had it aced 100%

Then I go and look like a total smear as I lay and roll. Oh well, I'm ok. Bike is good (save some loose plastic) and I'll go back next week and try again.

Well, off to fix the plastic.

:violin:

Dude, dont' take the motorcycle rider's course unless you specifically want to lower your insurance or something. Just freakin practice and go back in a week. People talk about it like the test is unpassable. If your on a sportbike, you ought to be able to rip that thing up, and it sounds like you did all but one section. So... you know where you need to focus your studies. Just, less sucking next time. ;)

The guy that went after me was on a big cruiser and completed it with ease. It almost seemed like his front wheel turned more. There was also a kid there on a sport bike that was complaining that he would never pass bc his turning radius was limited by the bike and not his skill... hrm.

Damn! I woulda liked to have seen that.

And haha to that little jackass trying to make up for his lack of tallent with his overabundanc of mouth.

I rode dirtbikes and BMX as a kid, its been 25 plus years and I'm a bit rusty, but the 950 has been perfect for me. Had her 3 weeks and 1700 miles.

My wife's friend took the MSF course, then a few days later freaked out on an easy turn in the road and wiped out, broke 4 ribs and $3000 to her bike with 25 miles on it. I think the course is a good starting point, but going to a lot and working on the slow speed stuff will help the more you do it. I have the u-turn down on the 950( like 24 feet box?) and have gotten pretty good doing the cone part, set up I'm not real sure about though. The swerve I wish I knew how it was set up, guess I need to head to a DMV and give it a try, I can borrow a friends dual sport, I think like a 250 if I want, but I want to try it on my bike first, stubborn.

Mike