Can anyone tell me why my insurance is too high

Mr Anderson

want to enjoy life I must pay pay pay. I understand that I am young but they just don't care.

they do care. thats why they charge you more. they know that young people are more likely to be involved in accidents. especially if they have a sporty car. the chances of them having to pay out on you are a lot higher, so they hit you with higher premiums to offset some of that cost.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

they do care. thats why they charge you more. they know that young people are more likely to be involved in accidents. especially if they have a sporty car. the chances of them having to pay out on you are a lot higher, so they hit you with higher premiums to offset some of that cost.

And there you have it. Having a mustang and a motorcycle at your age (especially a relatively new one) is putting your insurance agent's kid through college.

True but I guess being young sucks. I like the high school days where I could just learn and have to work. :lol:

Them days is over. Welcome to the real world, don't forget to wear your helmet.

And there you have it. Having a mustang and a motorcycle at your age (especially a relatively new one) is putting your insurance agent's kid through college.

I always wear the helmet and jacket. sigh the real wrld.

Auto and Special Lines (MC) aren't typically rated together, even if you have both policies with the same company, as far as I've seen at least

Auto and Special Lines (MC) aren't typically rated together, even if you have both policies with the same company, as far as I've seen at least

They are at least cross-referenced, and with his age, type of vehicles he has, and the historical national claims history, it ain't lookin too good.

They are at least cross-referenced, and with his age, type of vehicles he has, and the historical national claims history, it ain't lookin too good.

Yah not really. You can't rate off vehicles not disclosed during the quoting application... (same as drivers not included in the quote)

But you are correct the rating is based of historical claims data, but only for the vehicle he's quoting, which yes, at his age and vehicle he's a risk. I was just saying it doesn't matter if he's got a Pinto or a Porsche, his MC rate won't change. (Everything else remaining constant)

I have been driving for a little over 5 years now. No accidents or speeding tickets. Its over 4000 a year and I am a good driver. Why do I have to pay higher insurance because of other people? I get it a have sports car and sports bike but come on. My step dad pay 100 bucks a year for his motorcycle insurance and I pay $1500.

One solution, sell the Ninja and buy an older bike, pay cash and just get basic liability. If you total the bike you eat the cost of it.

Plenty of older bikes out there that are plenty fast for a newer rider. Check Craigslist to see what I mean. An older 250 - 650 under $1500 easy. Yes the newer sport bikes will kick its ass, but they will do that to your 250 anyway.

Nope, not a babe magnet. But it is 2 wheels and its cheap. The only real downside is that you will have to learn how to fix it too. Got any tools? You will... :D

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/1267723834.html

CX 500 Honda with luggage $1050.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/1267609451.html

Kawasaki Kz 400, $1000 - $1000 (dublin)

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/1267336412.html

Suzuki GS500E - $1000 (Columbus, OH)

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/1267195585.html

1983 Yamaha XV500 Motorcycle - $650 (Zanesville)

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/1266999006.html

Very clean - 1978 cb 400 hawk - $1250 (rittman)

All are cheap and all are good starter bikes

Edited by Strictly Street

That's good advice SS!

Mr. A. Take a look at your limits and deductibles also, I'll assume you have a loan which means you have to carry what the lienholder requests, but you can adjust your deductibles I believe... which means you could carry 1k deductibles.

That's good advice SS!

Mr. A. Take a look at your limits and deductibles also, I'll assume you have a loan which means you have to carry what the lienholder requests, but you can adjust your deductibles I believe... which means you could carry 1k deductibles.

True, Some of those bikes are older then me lol. I will have to check deductibles.

True, Some of those bikes are older then me lol. I will have to check deductibles.

Check with your lienholder first, some banks have funky requirements.

IE, must carry $500 or less deductibles (the thought being, if you can't afford to pay the deductible you may just ditch the bike and stop making payments)

But double check first! And remember, you have to pay the deductible out of pocket BEFORE they repair damage, so if you wreck your bike and do $1100 of damage, with a $500 deductible you're paying $500 for $1,100 in repairs, so you got a $600 benefit. With $1,000 deductible you're paying $1,000 for $1,100 in repairs = bad idea filing a claim.