wtb: Good Beginner Bike..

exSRAaron

My little brother is looking to get a bike and I thought I'd see if anyone on here has one available. Priced under $2k. Good running condition, cruiser/sport or enduro, nothing overly powerful. Rebel 250, ninja 250, etc. Let me know thanks!!

Aaron

I've got a 1982 Yamaha Maxim I was about to put up for sale. Haven't got any pictures or anything. I bought it for $1200 in November, but then ended up buying my new '08 FZ6 in March, so I barely rode it. My Dad flew in from VA and we rode down to Atwood. 175 miles and he loved the bike (he's a HD guy, so he's not used to a standard inline 4 type bike). I took it to work the other day and rode it around a bit. No problems. Even though it's an inline 4, it feels more like a v-twin or something because it only revs to 9.5k. It's not nearly as fast as my FZ6. I think it has lik 60hp or so in peak condition.

It'll prolly need a new rear tire after 1-2k miles. Front one is brand new. Could use some time invested into it tightening/adjusting a few things like the rear brake pedal, clutch/brakes levers, shifter. Carbs are on the verge of needing cleaned but it runs great. You have to leave the choke on just a little bit to keep it idling. Might be able to fix it just by using some seafoam or something. Sounds mean, has some sort of shortned exhaust on it. I have a front fairing for it too, but it's not on right now.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll try and dig up some more details. I'm the third owner. The first owner bought it new in early 1982 and rode it regularly until 2004 or so. Took it to the yamaha dealer for services on schedule, but I don't have the records. He let it sit for 3 years and then gave it to his nephew, who I knew through some friends. He fixed everything that needed attention after sitting and put like 4k miles on it. Then he sold it to me. It has just under 24k miles on it.

Edited by jreese86

I've still got the GS500F, great bike to start out on... but we might be trying to get my mom to try that one out. I'll let ya know

Plus its already got OR stickers on it, so that means he'll hafta join the board. haha

I've still got the GS500F, great bike to start out on... but we might be trying to get my mom to try that one out. I'll let ya know

Plus its already got OR stickers on it, so that means he'll hafta join the board. haha

I learned on a 2007 GS500F. I have to agree, it is the perfect bike to learn on if you don't want to upgrade right away.