Do you think anyone cleaned this?

Likwid

Took off the front sprocket cover so I could clean the chain, and because I'm one of those curious people that likes to see how things work.... usually I can't get things back together but I was fine this time.

Anyway, took off the cover and this is what I see caked up to the chain

3724427475_ded0ccb55a.jpg

3725241942_7fb6e4da20.jpg

Went at the crud with a toothbrush and some good ol' fashioned WD-40

3724433505_1a9d4d37b8.jpg

It didn't look too bad until I started taking out giant clumps, it was crazy. Anyway, thought someone would get a kick out of this.

Holy shit man. Wow. Wd-40 is great. That's what i use on greasy parts.

Yah, it's amazing stuff. Just have to be careful on some stuff. I read some stuff that says not to spray it on the chain seals because the PROPELLANTS in the can are corrosive or something.

So I spray it on a toothbrush, then brush the chain. Then lube it with chain lube.... man, too much work!

Yah, it's amazing stuff. Just have to be careful on some stuff. I read some stuff that says not to spray it on the chain seals because the PROPELLANTS in the can are corrosive or something.

So I spray it on a toothbrush, then brush the chain. Then lube it with chain lube.... man, too much work!

Trade that in for a shaft driven cruiser. No more cleaning chains. :D

Trade that in for a shaft driven cruiser. No more cleaning chains. :D

I know! Stop rubbing it in! I was actually looking at belt driven conversions, but that's $900+.... seems kind of stupid, it's only my time

you could also use kerosene. that stuff melts grease away

I thought about that actually, almost just took the whole chain off but I don't have a lift.

that and wd-40 both dont bode well for o-ring seals! use the non-chlorinated brake cleaner or the orange citrus crap, i cant remember the name of it right now sorry.

I've heard both good and bad for O and X ring chains.

I'm actually thinking of buying something like this http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/tirox-motorcycle-chain-cleaner/

That is nasty, I love my shaft drive, just change the oil in the final drive every 60k or so and ride the crap out of it!

I would like to have a shaft drive bike, but I've been thinking of changing my drive ration and you can't do that on a shaft drive bike...

I dunno

Ya, WD40 it or brake cleaner for the actual junk. WD40/kerosene the chain and sprocket, take it around the block, and lube it. Use a steel brush too, I use a real corse one not the brass but the actual steeel. And ya I ve seen that before too lol

that and wd-40 both dont bode well for o-ring seals! use the non-chlorinated brake cleaner or the orange citrus crap, i cant remember the name of it right now sorry.

I hate to disagree with ya bro, but kerosene is what my owners manual says to use to clean the chain. I do agree with you tho regarding the wd-40

Take an old chain apart, and get the o-ring seals out of it. Soak a couple of them in WD-40 for....oh, how long do you feel like? A month? Then, check those for breakdown and elasticity against the other ones you took out and kept clean and in a dry place. Do it real scientific, put a couple in kerosene, maybe some in ATF or water as a control.

See any difference?

I'll go ahead and save you a month (it's been done several times on the web):

No difference. WD-40 doesn't do jack shit to an O-ring chain. Use it like KY on a cheap whore.

If you wanna keep your sprocket clean and the chain lubed, use Dupont Dry-Lube (available at Lowes for $4 a bottle). Goes on wet, dries clean, doesn't fling, doesn't attract dirt. My front sprocket is clean as hell, after 11,000 miles.