Thought that I just about lost it...

DangBruhY

On my way back from lunch today, I knew I was going to be hitting a tight corner, so I prepared and hit it at about 50mph. As I'm going around this corner, my rear tire slides while I'm going through the apex. The ground was clear of any fluids, sand, dirt, and rocks... I don't know what the heck happened.

About a block away, I had to make another turn (Same side -right-) going ~5mph and the rear tire slid a little again. As I pulled into my parking spot, (about a half mile away) I checked the tire and it was warm, soft, and free of any foreign substances.

I'm baffled as to what the problem was. I took this picture as soon as I got off my bike... (yes, I know my rim is dirty)

Any ideas?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

must be all that oil they cooked your chicken strips with.

ZING

jk, seriously though, it might've been all the fluids (including oil) from various cars and ducati's that are on the road. that and, how liberal with the throttle were you when it slipped?

edit: aww wrillo already zinged you. dammit.

must be all that oil they cooked your chicken strips with.

ZING

jk, seriously though, it might've been all the fluids (including oil) from various cars and ducati's that are on the road. that and, how liberal with the throttle were you when it slipped?

edit: aww wrillo already zinged you. dammit.

your zing was better though :cheers:

OP what tires you running?

im gonna need the exact two corners, time of day this happened, the direction the wind was blowing, which direction you were traveling, temp at time of day and.... a pack of starburst. (might need a snack)

What kind of starburst do you want? Original, tropical, or sour..? :lol:

No offense but with chicken strips that big, you werent even leaning your bike over so its most likely in your head or you ran over a stone and thought you were sliding when it was really just your suspension.

hey, we're all playing nice here..

I think it should be said that your tire shouldn't slide on you in a turn if you're on a track. You don't know whats out there on the street, thats why you can't tear it up out there. Thats why its so much more dangerous, and where "take it to a track" comes from. Roads suck, and nothing is going to change that

You don't know whats out there on the street, thats why you can't tear it up out there. Thats why its so much more dangerous, and where "take it to a track" comes from. Roads suck, and nothing is going to change that

Which is why you can be proud of them strips! ;)

(I've been slightly spooked all season so my newish tires have em too)

I'm not sure what the tire brand is or the tire pressure. They were on the bike when I bought it. They are still in excellent condition.

As far as the chicken strips... It's Ohio. Enough said. When I lived in California, we use to hit the mountains up at LEAST 3 times a week. I had NO chicken strips then, but on this flat land... Yes, there will be big fat furry chickens with me on just about every ride.

For some reason, my throttle has been acting a little touchy lately. I do not try to throttle out of the turn, if I can help it. I try to stay at a constant speed. I've done it too many times and the bike gets twitchy. (Kinda how the bike was before I put the PC3 on there) At least not on turns at higher speeds. On that turn, I kept it at a constant speed. Once I get close to being upright is when I usually get back on it.

I'm guessing that there was probably something in the road that I didn't see. Maybe just a small amount of water from the condensation off of the A/C in a cage. I don't know, but it was just enough of a slide to make me pucker without freaking out too much.

depending on what "twitchy" means, it could be suspension. Ever adjust it or anything? I think the owners manual even tells you what stock settings are... I'd check to make sure its at stock settings and I believe thats for a 160lb rider. So from there make it a bit stiffer or softer depending on your weight

I'll check the tire pressure when I get home. The temp out there was 85 degrees. I was staring at a banks sign while I was eatting.

I guess since I haven't really been hitting corners hard, I kinda forgot to expect it to possibly slide out a little. Been a while since I had to 'hold on and wait for it to catch traction again.'

As to the suspension, I'm not sure what it's set at. I haven't adjusted it since I got the bike. I'll have to see if my buddy can take a look at it.

depending on what "twitchy" means, it could be suspension. Ever adjust it or anything? I think the owners manual even tells you what stock settings are... I'd check to make sure its at stock settings and I believe thats for a 160lb riding. So from there make it a bit stiffer or softer depending on your weight

When I said it was twitchy, I was referring to the throttle response. Sometimes it's like a light switch. Either on or off.

I'm not sure what the tire brand is or the tire pressure. They were on the bike when I bought it. They are still in excellent condition.

As far as the chicken strips... It's Ohio. Enough said. When I lived in California, we use to hit the mountains up at LEAST 3 times a week. I had NO chicken strips then, but on this flat land... Yes, there will be big fat furry chickens with me on just about every ride.

For some reason, my throttle has been acting a little touchy lately. I do not try to throttle out of the turn, if I can help it. I try to stay at a constant speed. I've done it too many times and the bike gets twitchy. (Kinda how the bike was before I put the PC3 on there) At least not on turns at higher speeds. On that turn, I kept it at a constant speed. Once I get close to being upright is when I usually get back on it.

I'm guessing that there was probably something in the road that I didn't see. Maybe just a small amount of water from the condensation off of the A/C in a cage. I don't know, but it was just enough of a slide to make me pucker without freaking out too much.

Seriously? Pulling through the apex is the most fun IMO. I even remember in MSF the instruction to roll on the throttle at apex. There are plenty of places in Ohio to safely wear your chicken strips down pretty far. Just learn the roads and make a safety check ride first.