my first custom build V. Miniceptor

Hoblick

well i picked this bike up to be the wifes first bike.

after looking it over and seeing what needed fixed i came out paying $100 for this thing.

86 Honda Interceptor VF500

well i had some thoughts in my head about making it a little better looking as well as handle and brake better.

my friend has a ton of spare parts from a CBR f2, so i thought hmmm.. wonder if that front end would fit on the interceptor.. and it does..

phase one complete.. CBR f2 front end and front brake setup. i used all parts from the CBR, forks, lower and upper tripples, clip ons, brakes, calipers lines, rotors, wheel etc. etc.

things that need done on the bike...

1.needs a new rack of carbs, these ones are junk, throttle plates messed up pretty bad, way out of wack and need all new gaskets and seals.

2. tank needs sanded down and some spots fixed and painted

3. petcock will be getting the free flow mod so it doenst work off vacum anymore.. these years have a ton of problems with the diaphram getting stuck and the bike nto getting any gas

4. oil change

5. new throttle and choke cables

6. chain and sprocket kit

things i will be doing to improve the bike

1. CBR f2 rear wheel and brake conversion

2. CBR f2 rear shock conversion

3. solo race tail from??? whatever i can make fit and look good

4. Buell front headlight setup (the one with the 2 lights and little fairing piece)

5. some kind of custom rearsets... the stock ones are hideous and waaaaaaay outdated and unstable (really they shake)

6. custom dual highmount exhaust (should look and sound pretty nasty)

7. PAINT (not sure what color... but most likely black)

8. gold chain (keeping stock size, just want to bling it out some, especially since it needs a new chain anyway)

hopefully i will be able to complete the bike over winter. i dont really foresee any problems, but the rear wheel setup will have to be sent out to be machined to fit, or so ive heard

at any rate this should be a pretty neat project and the bike should turns some heads after its finished.

im hoping to have less than $1000 in the whole project. i think the most expensive piece is gonna be the carbs.. rice paddy quoted me $250 for completely rebuilt carb set ready to bolt on.

here are some pics i took with the cell phone tonight after getting the CBR front end on. i threw the tank side panel and seat on just so i could see what it will somewhat look like together somewhat.

IMAG0009-1.jpg

IMAG0010-1.jpg

IMAG0011.jpg

it will be slow going at first since i have another project im working on with a friend.. but its nearing completion. nothing major just redoing all the body work on his f2. it will e going to attack painter when its finished. after that the miniceptor will be in full effect

can you adjust the throttle plates? i.e. synch the carbs?

id think you could get a carb kit with all new seals and gaskets too for less than the cost of new carbs?

Those were sweet little bikes, the f2 front end will only make it better! Good luck finding parts man, I've heard that can be a colossal PITA, but looking forward to the finished product!

yes parts are hard to find. goo thing most of the parts im using i have.. aside from the carbs.

the only thing i really would like to have is the lower belly fairing.. which is very hard to find.

possibly use an aftermarket street fighter style pan? check airtech stuff out

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/hondaz/CBR600F21991-94.htm

yeah i looked on there they actually have a replacement OEM chin spoiler, but im not paying $100 for it. ill get something aftermarket that looks cooler and make it work lol.

update:

after i got the front end fitted i pulled it back off to ground the steering stops down, and i am going to throw new steering head bearings in.

pulling the stock pipes off tonight as well, and the rear grab bar and light assembly.

gonna pull the rear wheel off and shock to check clearance and what i need to modify to get my f3 rear shock on and what its gonna take to use the f2 rear wheel

rear wheel is mounted.. no brake setup on it though, and its a tight fit with the 160/60/16

im using the stock sprocket drive from the VFR on it, i have to see where i can gain some clearance and wheel may need machined a little bit. ill have to get a spacer for the right side as well

also talked with jamie daugherty at at Daugherty motorsports and i will have to send my vf500 sprocket carrier to him to get machined and then he sends me some custom spacers and a custom rear caliper bracket to make the f2 rear wheel fit.

now i need to order some steering head bearings, wheel bearings, find a nice headlight setup, and find a race tail that will work on this bike.

order a new chain soon as well.

long list.

and i figured a paint scheme out for it.. but i wont tell yet