Thoughts on Magna V65s?

Ryan_c_F

I've been looking to upgrade from my Suzuki for the past several months... much as I like it, 55HP doesn't get the job done, especially when the gearing is such that I need to rev to 5k to stay up with freeway traffic.

I've basically fallen in love with the entire idea of those old 83-86 Honda 1100s, and was wondering if anyone here has one, or experience with one, and would like to share.

I heard they have a camshaft problem at times, in the earliest models?

How are they in terms of freeway manners?

Is there any way to get rid of that godawful pillion seat/sissy bar design?

I personally love older bikes. Kawi z's, Zuki gs's. The Honda v's. I have been looking at the V65's for a while. The sabres are pretty cool looking. The magna's, i do not like the circleish handle bars. But 110-120 hp for a cruiser...= fun if your a cruiser kid. I don't know anything about the mechanical issues, so...i can't comment there. V65 (member here) should be able to tell you more about them. As he owns and rides one.

I personally love older bikes. Kawi z's, Zuki gs's. The Honda v's. I have been looking at the V65's for a while. The sabres are pretty cool looking. The magna's, i do not like the circleish handle bars. But 110-120 hp for a cruiser...= fun if your a cruiser kid. I don't know anything about the mechanical issues, so...i can't comment there. V65 (member here) should be able to tell you more about them. As he owns and rides one.

Eh not so much a "cruiser" afficionado but more cognizant of my needs as a rider.

I commute and I tour. I've got extra heft to my frame (being diplomatic) so the uncomfortable aspects of riding a sport bike are compounded - it's why I own a standard now, and why I'm looking for more of an upright bike for my next ride.

And you're right - 120HP is fun... and I think it's about as large a jump as I should make at this point.

I've seen a few around here, and know a guy down in Bluffton with one. I think they had some top end oil pressure issues but if they weren't thrashed should be ok. I rode with him on the highway with both his V65 and the super magna (750cc) and he never seemed to have any issues at freeway speeds. I've also heard they respond well to radial tires (even though manufaturers will advise against it ;))

+1 on the Sabre, it was the "standard" version where the magna was the cruiser I liked that style alot better.

Its a 20+ year old bike, if you find one it will need some TLC but I"d definately rock one if I found a clean example.

The 94-03 magna's while maybe more reliable took a step backwards in some respects, drum on the rear I believe and single rotor up front. I rode one and while it wasn't terribly slow it was definitely tuned for "niceness". If you stayed in it, it would scoot pretty well but a decent running v65 (at least 3 cylinders firing) would leave it for dead. The brakes were abysmal though and that was back when I weighed 140 lbs....basically same brakes as the nighthawk 750 with 100+ lbs extra attached. So if your a bigger dude, something to look for.

I bought my 84 v65 Magna for 500 and pretty much replaced the hoses, flushed the radiator, cleaned the carbs, dropped in a KN air filter, replaced the fork springs and seals, changed the brake lines to braided stainless steel and have been ridding since with out any real problems. I have ridden many back to back 400 mile days with no problem.

It has a 6 speed trans with 6th being a overdrive, drive shaft rear end, duel disk brakes up front and a single on the rear. I can cruise 80 on the highway with the tack sitting at 4 grand, it red lines at 10.

I can hit about 110 in the upper ranges of third gear and it is still pulling like a train on up. I have never had it higher than 130 indicated which I am sure is off.

If you have any questions let me know.

Oh yea and I did put Dunlap radials on and the handling was night and day. I scrape the pegs all day and have about 1/4 inch of chicken on them:)

Edited by v65rider
adding info

Yeah, I've been all over craigslist like a hawk lately, looking for another 250 ninja for the wife, or something for me as an upgrade. I've seen quite a few of these bikes on there, many call the magna's "magnum" etc... Some are going really cheap.

If you do find one on Craigslist make sure it doesn't say something about the 2nd gear not working. That can be fixed but who wants to split the cases?

That's the issue I've always heard of with either these or the V45's.... Can't recall which

We just saw one in Mansfield tonight

here is a short and sweet on the engine probs:

"The engine's downfall was premature camshaft wear in some early models; both V45 and V65. In retrospect, the wear was caused either by production problems, sub-quality steel alloys, or by inadequate oiling flow. Owners have often modified their oiling systems and successfully eliminated the wear problem, and some companies sell kits to do this modification."

mace

Yes there were problems with the oiling in the heads of the engine but not all of them had the problems. Mine doesn't have the problem on my last valve check the cams looked great no pitting.

If you do get one that has the problem there are several kits you can buy to correct the problem.

The V65 Sabre was built more for sport touring and has a much better fuel range and in my opinion better seating position, but the Magna's are prettier:D

My neighbor has a V65 Sabre for sale. It needs some work, but is MUCH sportier and cooler than the Magna. I can find out a price if you are interested.

YES, please.

What sorts of work does it need, and how many miles?

Not sure of the miles, but I believe its around 20k. Its in real nice shape and I'm pretty sure he has had it since new. It has unknown engine issues. He bought an FJR and parked it.

I'll ask him what he wants for it the next time I see him.