uhm... possible scam?...

velnarah

I'm selling some things on craigslist. some dude responded to one of them and wants me to ship it to his son overseas. I got an email from paypal saying he sent me a payment of $220.. the price the item was for was $120. I got the email at 8:05, I logged into paypal at 9:40. logged out and logged in again. But it does not show that I have received any funds. that's odd right?...

then I get two emails asking for shipping tracking numbers for when I send the item and it says: PayPal customer Care Department is using this medium to remind you of the transaction between you and our client, Mr Noble Jonathan about an item purchased from you and the total sum of $1800.000USD has been paid for the item "PSP".

uhm... WOAH $1800?????....maybe I should be secretly celebrating cause at first glance this email makes it look like the dude overpayed by $1600. But this whole thing just seems weird. I already told the guy via email that I am backing out for these resons, none of it adds up.

but has anyone else had anything like this happen?

Yeah sounds like a scam to me too.

Also don't accept the paypal by check payments, or at least don't ever ship an

item until you get notication that the check cleared, some guy ripped me off like that once.

My wife was trying to sell a ring on craigslist, she had asked for 450 and some guy said he send 700 to buy it for his daughter. He wanted to use paypal, and had the "money"deposited into our paypal. Well it turns out it was all a scam. Paypal contacted my wife about it and said the FBI was investigating it. Be careful. Face to face, cash deals. They are the safest.

Total scam, in several ways. Do not bother even communicating with them any further. DO NOT cash or try to cash any amounts sent (paper checks). Destroy them or otherwise send them back or turn them over to investigators.

A closer look at the emails would no doubt show that they are fake. I would bet a zillion dollars in some obscure off shore account that they did not come from Paypal.

Forward the emails to spoof@paypal.com and ask if it is for real. I send them stuff all the time. If I'm one of the first to send a new one in, they always reply with a thank you, and that they will be working on investigating and prosecuting the source.

From what I've heard, many of the scams do not come from some other country. They can look like that, and be from some one right in town.

thanks guys.. yeah total scam I just got this:

We are very sorry for the differences that arose in the emails sent to you.Pay Pal has mistakenly deducted $1800 instead of $220.We have let your buyer knew this and upon crediting your account,you will need to send the money via Western Union to the address below.Don't forget you need to send the verification of shipment before your account can be credited.Pay Pal resorted into doing this in order to prevent Fraudulent or scam activities going on in the countries of the world.We are very sorry for any inconvenience this may bring.We want you to know that we are doing this to prevent both the buyer and seller from fraudulent activities.

Upon the contacting your buyer,he said he wanted the remaining money to go to his child overseas and this is address you will be sending the remaining money which is $1,580 to:

---------------------------------------------------------

crazy....

ZOMG the scam artists are all out at once! I just got several replies to each of my listings asking dumb questions like.. are you interested in making money, or are you having trouble paying your bills. completely frustrating.

thanks guys.. yeah total scam I just got this:

We are very sorry for the differences that arose in the emails sent to you.Pay Pal has mistakenly deducted $1800 instead of $220.We have let your buyer knew this and upon crediting your account,you will need to send the money via Western Union to the address below.Don't forget you need to send the verification of shipment before your account can be credited.Pay Pal resorted into doing this in order to prevent Fraudulent or scam activities going on in the countries of the world.We are very sorry for any inconvenience this may bring.We want you to know that we are doing this to prevent both the buyer and seller from fraudulent activities.

Upon the contacting your buyer,he said he wanted the remaining money to go to his child overseas and this is address you will be sending the remaining money which is $1,580 to:

---------------------------------------------------------

crazy....

Ah, the old "I'll pay you x4 the asking amount, please wire me back the difference to Nigeria" scam. This has been around for years.

Instead of the money, tell him you are going to send his kid a Apple P-P-P-Powerbook: http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

Greetings from Nibidia,

I have a Billion Zillion dollars that I cant cash in without your social security number. I'll split it with you so your half is just under a Zillion bucks!

Just send me the rest, in cash, please also include a outline of your front door key and a list of times you wont be home.

rule number one on the craigslist scam page

DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on craigslist.

do it. if you cant meet them face to face, tell them to go pound sand