1982 Yamaha Maxim 750

jreese86

Bike is located in Cuyahoga Falls, OH.

Asking what I paid, $1200 OBO. Pictures can be found in the craigslist ad:

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/1278279897.html

1982 Yamaha Maxim 750 (XJ750)

~23,700 miles

The bike runs and drives. The mileage is fairly low considering these bikes routinely run to about 50k before having any major engine issues. Check out XJBikes.com for more info. I let me father take it on a 175 mile ride with me at the beginning of the summer, to give you an idea of the condition it's in. I am the third owner of the bike. The first owner rode it from 1982 to 2003, always taking it to a Yamaha dealer on time for scheduled maintenance, and then let it sit for 4 years before giving it to his nephew. His nephew got it back into running condition and rode it for roughly ~4000 miles over a season or two. I bought it in November, but then found a deal on a new bike, so I have barely rode it.

The bike comes with what you see attached, as well as a few uninstalled parts:

Highway Pegs

Front Fairing w/ Tall Windshield and pockets to hold things in.

A box full of random assorted parts.

The front tire is brand new, the rear one will need replaced either in spring or after a 1-2 thousand miles. I believe the battery is brand new. The brakes stop good, but the rear pedal could use some adjustment. The biggest problem the bike has is that you have to leave the choke on just a tad to keep it running. If you turn it all the way off the bike will idle really low and eventually stall after 10 seconds or so. You can turn it far enough down that it doesn't really affect the way the bike idles/revs while riding. I think this could probably be fixed with some Seafoam ran through the tank, oil, and intake.

The bike has a fairly decent amount of low end power. It feels like it has more low end torque than my 2008 Yamaha FZ6. It's a very fun bike for cruising around town. The short exhaust on it sounds great too. Throatier than you'd expect out of an inline 4 cylinder. It would make a good beginner bike or a comfortable bike to commute with. It gets mpg in the lower 40's.

Edited by jreese86

I'd buy it... but I don't want to spend that much for a project (I'd want to chop it and make it custom)

The choke problem is most likely solved with some new plugs, someone ran with the choke for too long, fouled the plugs, now the bike needs extra gas and/or air.

Do yourself a favor, check the plugs, if needed replace them, then repost with "runs perfect"

That is assuming you haven't sold it already

Thanks for the tip likwid.

I bought the bike in November, had it stored until spring, but bought my FZ6 in March. I haven't had any reason to ride the Maxim when I have a brand new bike.

I'm willing to work with the price. Also, I'd consider cash + trade if you happen to have any of the following:

Throttlemeister that fits an '08 FZ6

Heated Grips for an '08 FZ6

V35 Givi Sidecases (Black)

Corbin Oval backrest

Leather Overpants w/ easy removal side zippers (Size 32 or 34)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to store this thing over the winter (no garage). I'll entertain any serious offers at this point.

KBB retail is ~$1100, trade in is ~$715. This bike has way lower miles than suggested by it's age.

• 2 weeks later...