August 11-Mid Ohio

SJC1000rr

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite view of the day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Hea6cgXck

notice the bike/video bouncing at the end of the backstraight on the first flying lap (3:20 mark). Back end skipped around on me trying to catch up which was the result of the back end skipping around according to Brian, first time thats ever happened. Pretty cool tho

Edited by natedogg624

I must say, Nate did a GREAT job in Advanced yesterday. He's got a great body position and was tearing up some guys at the top of the keyhole his first time out. Was really cool to see.

He gets a little more power and better suspension, and he's going to be pretty damn good out there. You won't have too many issues with the guys on newer 600s, that's for sure as you are sitting pretty in terms of what is needed.

The bouncing rear is definately shown in that video. You can also hear your downshifts and notice when the bouncing occurs, it is on decel. You were letting the clutch out too fast and getting hop out of the rear tire. The guys on newer 600s can hamburger their downshifts as they have slippers, but you have to do it old school. Trust me, you'll be better off starting with what you have and learning to be smooth like a slipper than to go right for a slipper and ride.

That learning of an old school clutch will teach smoothness and bike control.

You looked good out there. No more "I" for you!!

That was my first track day and all i can say is I'm hooked. Can't wait to do another one. :)

Ah, yes. Saw your R1 out there. Cool to see the new R1 running laps around the track. I have only seen but a couple of them and am surprised to not see more.

I had an awesome time, and will definitely be doing more. I think I did really good for my first track day. I had a lot of fun leading my instructor and then following him. I forget his name, but he was the short older guy who was on the newer gsxr. He had a lot of good things to say at the end of the day. I'll be in the intermediate group next time. Great time. Bye bye extra money.

I had an awesome time, and will definitely be doing more. I think I did really good for my first track day. I had a lot of fun leading my instructor and then following him. I forget his name, but he was the short older guy who was on the newer gsxr. He had a lot of good things to say at the end of the day. I'll be in the intermediate group next time. Great time. Bye bye extra money.

Sounds like Tim O'Toole?

yeah, he said he used to race an SV650. I googled "mike graham mid ohio" and the first result was something about him racing an SV.

what kind of times are intermediate and advanced riders running at mid-ohio?

Can vary from 2:00ish to mid 1:40s. you never know.

I was in group 3. On the all white cbr. I remember seeing your bike in the starting area.

My dad came to watch and timed one lap at 1:55. But that was just looking at his watch, so who knows how accurate that really is lol.

Edited by enenen

"I" group times are more along the lines of 2:00 - 1:50. Advanced needs to be about 1:49 and lower, but honestly, we get a lot of guys doing :45-:49 and hold their lines really well and are predictable and easy to pass due to being smooth and consistant. I've talked about pulling guys that are running :40-:45 due to their lack of smoothness and predictability before...

Times aren't that important. We have guys running low :32s at times along with guys running :49s in Advanced. It gets really impossible to set a time restraint. But I will say if you are running boarderline 2:00 times, you need seat time in Intermediate for traffic knowledge and to learn the way to be smooth and consistant.

Don't go by what a watch or someone timing you via a stop watch. There is so much room for error, you'd never believe it. Unless they are professional and do it for a race team, it is common to see 3-4 seconds a lap difference...

I had my camera on the rear section for a bit too. But I had the white cbr and Steve's was the black one.

Steve, you gonna be in advanced next time?

Edit: well looks like you found him now Steve haha.

Edit 2: Here's one of the few pics my dad took on my camera. Figures, the fence is right in the way. I bought the cd from the photographer, so there will be many more later.

picture7djn.png

Edited by enenen

while I'm at it, here's a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTtpvfHGFX0

it starts and ends on the back straight, because we were doing the leapfrog thing, and that is where we would start leading the lap and then let somebody else lead. this was either the first or second session after lunch. I wish I had the camera on for the last session of the day, because I was definitely going faster.

Edited by enenen