yup yup. Im on owner.

OhioMarine

if the battery is getting weaker, it either means your charging system is failing, or the battery is losing capacity...

if you have a weak battery, the tender "masks" it...then when you dont have the tender (riding out to an event or something) the problem pokes it's ugly head up.

that's all i'm saying..if it can be charged, and it's fine then so be it, but if it's toast, and I can't tell because it's been on a tender.. i'm going to be pissed when i try to start it later without the tender.

The odds of your charging system failing is very slim compared to the battery failing. The odds of your battery failing due to high number of discharge cycles goes WAY up if it's not kept at a constant state of charge.

I'm not going to argue about your last point, that happened to me in Easton. I should have known my batt was wacky as I accidentally hit it with a 75amp jumper (twice), but I had the tender on it so it fired up initially. Now that I have a new batt on there, you bet your ass I'm keeping it on that tender and away from idiots with plug-in jumper cables. :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The odds of your charging system failing is very slim compared to the battery failing. The odds of your battery failing due to high number of discharge cycles goes WAY up if it's not kept at a constant state of charge.

Bingo. No better way to help your battery live through an ohio winter than on a tender.

still...throw the battery tender in the garbage...

if your battery starts to get weak, buy a new one, they aren't worth screwing with.

That is unless you have a sprag clutch like us BMW, Ducati, and Aprilia guys. If the clutch starts to fail because of kickback then you're really fucked. We avoid this by using a good battery, battery tender, good starter solenoids, and a good ground strap so that the motor starts on the first turn over within a second.

If the motor doesn't start on the first turn, it'll kick back against the sprag stripping the outside of the sprag housing. Hmmm, $350 sprag clutch (that's doing it myself) or $40 battery tender. I think you know that answer.