Northeast group ride 400 mile loop 08-02-09

Uncle Punk

Group ride planned for this Sunday August 2nd. 400 miles from meeting place back to meeting place.

Meeting place and starting point http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.31...z=18&t=h&hl=en CircleK 36024 W Royalton Road. It is the gas station on the northwest corner.

Depending on where you are coming from you might need to avoid the detour that is north of this location between 82 and Lorain Road on 83. This is a real detour the road is actually blocked and you can't get through.

402 miles, 9:32 actual driving time at the speed limit. Expect an 11 hour day could be longer if we have problems, let’s hope we don't.

Departing from meeting place at 9:00 AM please arrive with enough time to gas up. In order to get this many miles done we will have to limit our stops so gas stops will be synchronized to the bike with the smallest amount of effective range, usually between 60 to 100 miles. Lunch will be on the run probably at a Subway but the group can make the decision at that time. I am hoping to be home about 8:00 PM but am not going to make any promises, the amount of riders and pace of the slowest rider will affect the overall time. I can't really describe the pace it might be fast for some and slow for others. If I stay up front at every stop or road change we will wait for the whole group. If faster riders show up in the group I can describe the route to them at each stop so they can wait for us when we get there.

This is just an overview of the route 83 to 550 to 26 to 800 to 78 to 536 to 7 to 255 to 800 to 250 to 83. I tried to make a Google map of it but I think it’s a fail, here is the link.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0...1&source=embed

we will be riding 536 it’s a fun road but can bite you, here is a post I made about it after my first time down it. http://ohio-riders.net/showthread.php?t=28843

I usually ride about 70 MPH where the limit is 55, I go faster when passing to leave room behind me for others to pass safely, I will also pass on double yellows where I feel it’s safe. Do not follow if you don't have room to make a pass another opportunity will come along. I will quicken the pace through the curves and slow it back down to 70 on the straights. The group will make sure we stay together and that no one has a problem. No one will be left behind unless we all agree on that decision. Bike count at every stop to make sure we are all together. Do not leave the group without telling someone first so we don't spend the rest of the ride looking for you.

Weather looks good right now.

High: 85 °F RealFeel®: 87 °F

Partly sunny

Oh yea, I almost forgot 255 is super cool and fun

Edited by Uncle Punk

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where the heck have you been? i havent seen you post in like a year since the lat ride we did through millersberg

I went riding with everyone last week in coshocton, it was pretty sick..

but other than that just back and forth between here and pittsburgh.. quit my job in may and doing random shit to make money and work on the bike :p

I went riding with everyone last week in coshocton, it was pretty sick..

but other than that just back and forth between here and pittsburgh.. quit my job in may and doing random shit to make money and work on the bike :p

yaaa i wanted to go but i had to work.

I am available from 8 am to 2:30 pm. Could I just tag along until it's time for me to turn around and comeback home alone ?

Let me know ..I would love to come ..

Absolutely, come on along. I doubt you will get anyone to start riding at 8:00 AM though. I'm sure some are not going to make it because of the 9:00 AM start time from too much Saturday partying. We just can't do this many miles in daylight starting later though.

Absolutely, come on along. I doubt you will get anyone to start riding at 8:00 AM though. I'm sure some are not going to make it because of the 9:00 AM start time from too much Saturday partying. We just can't do this many miles in daylight starting later though.

Ive learned too many times now to not party before a ride.. I always feel like crap!

We had a guy a couple of years ago on the return trip coming up 555 who threw up in his helmet. We had to go back looking for him afraid he had crashed but there he was pulled over trying to clean out his helmet. He still had a few hours left to ride already sick with a smelly helmet. That will teach him.