1983 Honda Magna V65 - three questions.

Ryan_c_F

Have tracked down a 1983 V65 Honda Magna..... have lusted after these for a while. Essentially, a 120-HP power cruiser, shaft-drive, six-speed, etc.

The seller has it up, with 20,000 on the clock, for $1350.

WHAT IT NEEDS:

Carbs need cleaned.

He says that the front caliper(s) is(are) sticking.

The fuel tank is leaking. tard.gif Note that I'm not sure if this is from seals or the petcock, or whether it's the tank itself with a hole.

I'm not worried about the brakes - that in itself should be fairly inexpensive and a quick fix.

I'll probably have my local shop do the carbs and a valve adjustment... unless I can get local help. I'm hopeless with machines and don't know the first thing about 'em.

I am worried about the gas thanks, though. Them things are expensive as hell.

What are my options with regard to the tank? I don't want to skip or shortcut because I'd rather not have my bike burn to the ground.

But is there a way to fix a gas tank leak without the use of welding equipment (as I have no access to welding equipment or welders)?

They make sealers that you dump into the tank tha thave worked well for years. Most custom built tanks are sealed as it ensures no leaks from poor welds. The carbs are a mother to get off but once you have done it a few times you learn the quirks to getting then on off. Price doesnt sound hateful if it is in good shape.

A friend of mine picked up a v45 magna for $400 a few months back. All it needed was the carbs rebuilt. It was a nice fight getting them out. I redid 3 carbs and let my friend do the 4th one. After putting them back on the intake and installing the whole assembly she ran but leaked like a sieve!! I pulled it all out and guess what? My buddy failed to put the needle back in the jet and it was just laying in the float bowl. Needless to say I was not happy. It was easier to put the carbs back on the 2nd time though. LOL

*FYI The price was 400 due to it being rednecked out with homemade flame paint on the tank, etc. It is great mechanically but cosmetically looks like ghetto trash. If yours

Edited by Whitey1

:cool: That's the kind of news I like to hear.

Especially given the age, and the fact that a petcock rebuild isn't something that on the top of people's list when bike maintenance rolls around, tells me that it's probably never been done. It's far more likely to be that than a spontaneous hole in the tank, unless there's some contributing damage like a drop.

Especially given the age, and the fact that a petcock rebuild isn't something that on the top of people's list when bike maintenance rolls around, tells me that it's probably never been done. It's far more likely to be that than a spontaneous hole in the tank, unless there's some contributing damage like a drop.

He said that there were some dings and scratches but whether that's from a rock or a driveway is my question.

I'm going to roll out and check the bike on Saturday morning, see what I can see.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that it's the petcock or petcock seals. Petcock rebuild kits aren't that expensive, the only bitch of it is getting the fuel tank off.

+1 Brakes are easy, and you may not even have to remove the tank for the petcock, I don't remember where it is situated, but on some bikes (especially older ones it seems) you can unbolt the bastard with the tank on the bike.

(just be damn sure it is empty first....)

Not a bad price for 20k on the clock. I would buy it, my buddy has the same one and it is fucking quick for a cruiser. (me want V4....)

If it's similar to my 1982 Magna V45 (same bike in a 750cc), there's no actual petcock- the damn thing has a fuel pump. However, I did have some ancient fuel lines that needed replacing when I got mine.

Now, a slightly more general question - what should I look for in the leaky tank that would say "you're better off leaving this one for the next sucker?"

You mean like inside the tank? Rust. If you have a rusty tank, to get rid of it you're talking electrolysis (can't exactly get a brillo pad down in there) and a massive pain in the ass.

Now, a slightly more general question - what should I look for in the leaky tank that would say "you're better off leaving this one for the next sucker?"

Hoffa

:D

Just remember I bet the guy will come down on his rice some. He wants another bike, a running bike and if you have cash it will make his dreams come true faster!

Hoffa

:D

Just remember I bet the guy will come down on his rice some. He wants another bike, a running bike and if you have cash it will make his dreams come true faster!

:) I have some cash, but his bike is asking for less than the bottom-end KBB price on mine. If anything I should ask him to toss in three hunnert or so to sweeten the deal on my end lolz.

You mean like inside the tank? Rust. If you have a rusty tank, to get rid of it you're talking electrolysis (can't exactly get a brillo pad down in there) and a massive pain in the ass.

Shaking some bolts in a liter of coca cola :lol:

:) I have some cash, but his bike is asking for less than the bottom-end KBB price on mine. If anything I should ask him to toss in three hunnert or so to sweeten the deal on my end lolz.

Ohhhh, I skipped over that part before. Now I see your extra concern. I thought you was picking up a cheap bike, not trading your current bike for it. That is a different story then. I would look at your trade and value it honestly to what you could sell it for, then look at his for what you could honestly buy it for + how much money will be needed to get it into decent running condition.

Ohhhh, I skipped over that part before. Now I see your extra concern. I thought you was picking up a cheap bike, not trading your current bike for it. That is a different story then. I would look at your trade and value it honestly to what you could sell it for, then look at his for what you could honestly buy it for + how much money will be needed to get it into decent running condition.

The way I see it, my bike is already for sale, specifically for one of these in the long run... or something similar to it, anyway.

My current ride is newer (1990, though, so not THAT much newer) but it's mechanically in great shape. I could stay with mine and be very happy. New clutch, fresh oil and coolant, new front tire, etc etc.

But I want something with a little more chutzpah and this fits the bill very nicely.

Like I said, if I can't interest him in a trade, I have the cash for it. I just would prefer no muss-no fuss trade.

The way I see it, my bike is already for sale, specifically for one of these in the long run... or something similar to it, anyway.

My current ride is newer (1990, though, so not THAT much newer) but it's mechanically in great shape. I could stay with mine and be very happy. New clutch, fresh oil and coolant, new front tire, etc etc.

But I want something with a little more chutzpah and this fits the bill very nicely.

Like I said, if I can't interest him in a trade, I have the cash for it. I just would prefer no muss-no fuss trade.

I understand, just look it over good. It takes the fun out of riding if you get an older bike that hasn't been maintained and it just nickle and dimes you to death. At the end of the day though if you are happy then it is a good deal just remember that.