First year rider! well trying

mrbumpz

I am not sure on his bike but there should be 3 wires coming out of the stator and 5 wires out of the rectifier/regulator. The three wires coming out of the stator are AC and the Rectifier/regulator has a 12v+ a ground and the three from the stator

That sounds about right.

The AC voltage from the stator has to get to the regulator/rectifier somehow. +12 and ground would be the other two, sure!

Set the meter to ohms x 1000 (it might say 1k instead)

If you get a 0.0 reading if the rectifier/regulator is fried measuring from ground to the +12 wire thats bad.

Keep in mind though that a 0.0 reading from any wire on the stator to any other wire on the stator is a good thing.

Thats why you want to disconnect it from the wiring harness.

Hmm... hang on let me see if I can finnd a wiring diagram for that model

Aww come on its to early for me to be getting slammed already. I know how to check voltage and i know how to rewire. I've been building cars for years now. Im just admitting my ignorance on bikes. I like to work on all my own stuff, so this is a learning process for me. If you dont want to help me thats cool, and i appreciate those who are. But Negative comments aren't needed and counter productive

Thanks again Street and Gixxie that helps alot.

Would be super cool to find a regulator local. I called ask and they want 180.00 for it and they dont even have it on hand. Being new to the bike world I still dont know the companies yet to know the difference between getting ripped off or getting garbage

Edited by mrbumpz

I don't have the manual handy here @ work, but there should basically be a certain resistance between the plugs that connect to the stator (this is all on the Regulator rectifier itself, what the yellows connect to maybe) and to the hot (red?) in ONE direction and to the ground (black or green) on the other direction. and I believe there should be no continuity between the yellows on the RR? Like I said I have to check. Also on the wires from the stator there should be no continuity from the those to ground either. So put that multi meter in Ohms disconnected the battery and take some readings. See if you can find a shop manual on-line for the gixxer, in the "charging system" section it should have some baseline readings you can take. I can check mine when I get home and give you a little better idea...but like I said different makes so a specific manual might be better.

I have the manual d/l ing now

Here is the link to it.

http://rs205tl.rapidshare.com/files/47845590/7034627/Suzuki_20GSXR_201100_20_2793-98_20Service_20Manual.pdf

It looks like this model only has 4 wires (3 ac and +12?)

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/2/Make/Suzuki/YearID/39/Year/1998/ModelID/6805/Model/GSX-R750/GroupID/290139/Group/ELECTRICAL_MODEL_W-X

Hmm.. a read through the manual will answer all questions

RTFM!

Edited by Strictly Street

Thanks again Street and Gixxie that helps alot.

Would be super cool to find a regulator local. I called ask and they want 180.00 for it and they dont even have it on hand. Being new to the bike world I still dont know the companies yet to know the difference between getting ripped off or getting garbage

$141.02 from Ron Ayers

http://www.ronayers.com/browseparts.cfm?SearchString=32800-33E10&adv=5&kw=fiche.ronayers.com

Don't know if thats a good price or not, just noted it while I was there.

Looking around ebay I see a real wide swing on parts prices by year and model.

A 1998 regulator is $120

A 2000 is only $25 (used)

2004 2003 SUZUKI GSXR 1000 GSXR1000 VOLTAGE REGULATOR $30

For the extra $100 I'd have to think about buying the wrong one and chopping some wires to get it to fit. Looks like the connectors are different but they mount the same it seems. But then I'm a cheap bastard! :D

The downloaded manual is for an 1100 not the 750.

Here is a link to a 1993*95 gsxr 750 manual.

http://rapidshare.com/files/52150212/service_93-95gsxr750.pdf

They just might be different enough to matter. The 1100 has a micro chip controller on the generator. Don't know about the 750 but I didn't find a book for your exact bike. Try it and see.

Thanks Issacs and street and gixxer!! I found the manual on gixxer.com forum. I don't meen to sound like a douche issacs, just had a little bit if dsm forum flashback. Lol I'm not 100% on how to work my volt meter when checking ohms and I'm a total newb to bikes. Yeah it had an issue when I fist got it with staying charged. Then it was fine for 2 months then it toatly died just one day and wpuldnt charge again which is where I am now :(

-- about the regulator

How long as far as wait cause I'm screwed of 5 days shippin no matter what so I got some time unfortunatly.

I've never tried buyin a diff one and swappin plugs before. Tho I have swapped pullys on alternators for the same reason. (Cheep bastard)

I also noticed that they are way cheeper in uk for some reason (egay)

So lemmie know how long gixxer and I may hold off and wait on you.

**sorry for butchering spelling. On my phone's internets

• 2 weeks later...