Chambered or Unchambered - Opinions Please

Likwid

What's your preference? Mine is UNchambered. I understand the consequences tactically to carrying unchambered but I'm so paranoid about shooting myself I prefer to leave it unchambered.

What do you think?

If you are that worried about shooting yourself, please forgo carrying and leave it for the big boys.

An unloaded gun is a paperweight.

For what its worth, when I carry my 1911 its cocked and locked (condition 1) which seems to REALLY bother the newbies.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good point. Unchambered until I have to walk somewhere, then chamber and go.

When you get back to the car, drop the mag, eject the round, reload the mag ... lol lots going on but w/e

For a guy thats worried about accidently shooting himself, you sure like to figure fuck the weapon. Seriously dude, WTF? you are worried about a loaded weapon, so you want to pull it out and manipulate it several times a day?

For a guy thats worried about accidently shooting himself, you sure like to figure fuck the weapon. Seriously dude, WTF? you are worried about a loaded weapon, so you want to pull it out and manipulate it several times a day?

There's a difference between shooting yourself and being worried about accidental discharge. Do you take your bike out and first thing jump on the highway and take it 200 or do you want to ride it around and get used to it first?

If the first thing you do is jump on the highway you're bound to kill yourself.

Likwid.. you comments in this thread go to show that you are the type of person that probably shouldnt be carrying. Your argument over the law of holsters and pocket carrying amaze me. Personally, If I were an instructor and had these facts about you prior to the class, I would not let you participate in the CCW course.

Sorry but thats my opinion. Maybe Im wrong and you are willing to listen and learn but I sure havent seen it in this thread. I would be interested in hearing Walter_GSPs opinion about this thread since he teaches CCW.

My opinion is that this thread is good of full advice and a lot of BS reasons not to follow it.

FYI, pocket holsters are for 2 things, breaking up the outline of the gun to make it more concealable and MOST IMPORTANTLY, to protect the trigger. Small DAO pistols and revolvers are primarily the ones carried in a pocket, and on those guns, if you pull the trigger they go bang. Pocket holsters keep items out of the trigger guard that might make it go bang and cause you great pain.

:rulez:

Wow guess that is the difference between a $75 class and a more expensive one!! our instructor told us MANY times you never carry a s/a cocked unless you want to shoot your self or have a negligent discharge. I don't carry yet but when my license comes back in I plan to carry loaded. when in the house it is on my body at all times, or unloaded in the safe locked up. IP you disappoint me, why no talk of fine motor skills needed to chamber a weapon? And how when in a high stress situation you revert back to primary motor skills?

Mike, if your instructor suggested that about SA revolvers, I have no beef. However, if that was to refer to a 1911 pistol, CZ75 or HK that can all be carried cocked and locked, then the guy is a tool and you need to not be listening to him.

There's a difference between shooting yourself and being worried about accidental discharge. Do you take your bike out and first thing jump on the highway and take it 200 or do you want to ride it around and get used to it first?

If the first thing you do is jump on the highway you're bound to kill yourself.

Apples/oranges.

If you keep the gun in a holster that covers the trigger guard, and when its not in a holster, keep your bugger hook off the bang button, then your chances of a negligent discharge are slim to none.

In a truly self defense situation. You do not have the opportunity to pull a slide back.

I have drawn mine in defense in a kroger parking lot after dark. The guys that were gonna jump me screamed and yelled and said they were calling the cops. I calmly went inside and had the store manager call.

Of course the punks didn't. I got the standard lecture from LEO about branishing a firearm.

I had about a second to react as I saw the flash of them coming from the passenger side. I had just a split second to react and I drew and backed away from them. Getting space and time.

No way I could have pulled the slide or anything else. Thats why I carry a revolver. It is bigger and heavier, IMHO it is more reliable and nothing like someone looking at a Dirty Harry style revolver. A shotgun racking is probably the only thing more intimidating.

In a truly self defense situation. You do not have the opportunity to pull a slide back.

I have drawn mine in defense in a kroger parking lot after dark. The guys that were gonna jump me screamed and yelled and said they were calling the cops. I calmly went inside and had the store manager call.

Of course the punks didn't. I got the standard lecture from LEO about branishing a firearm.

I had about a second to react as I saw the flash of them coming from the passenger side. I had just a split second to react and I drew and backed away from them. Getting space and time.

No way I could have pulled the slide or anything else. Thats why I carry a revolver. It is bigger and heavier, IMHO it is more reliable and nothing like someone looking at a Dirty Harry style revolver. A shotgun racking is probably the only thing more intimidating.

Well, according to our instructor, you shouldn't draw your weapon unless you are going to fire.

What did the criminal do to indicate you were in danger of SERIOUS bodily harm? Did he have a gun? a knife? Just running at you?

If several persons are coming at me I will draw' date=' but not necessarily fire. If I can escape a situation like that without killing somebody then that's a win in my book. I believe your instructor was trying to tell you that you shouldn't draw unless you are willing to shoot, but you don't have to shoot if you draw. Sometimes drawing alone can handle the business. Don't believe me? Read Lost's post, again. If a cop gave him shit for drawing a weapon in that situation that cop is a fuckwad.[/quote']

I think multiple individuals would constitute the threat of serious bodily harm or injury, which would justify drawing your weapon. From what I've been told by other LEO's, if you are the first to call after drawing your weapon, even if no shots are fired, usually things will go your way and they will understand.

I believe your instructor was trying to tell you that you shouldn't draw unless you are willing to shoot' date=' but you don't have to shoot if you draw.[/quote']

I agree that drawing can diffuse the situation, but it could also escalate it.

Either way, just to back Likwid up, our instructor did say that if he's forced to draw, he's already made his mind up that he's pulling the trigger and it's too late for you.

I have kids, so my gear is unchambered in the house. Besides, for home protection, IMHO a shotgun is better. Hell, just shuck the pump and everyone in the house, invited or not, has your undivided attention. And the uninvited ones usually leave with aquickness.

Hmmm.. I have ashot gun.. never even fired it. Was a gift. Maybe I should take it out and try it. You make a good point.

chambered 24/7. if its unchambered its about as useless as a rock--might as well just throw it at them...things pop off too fast to carry it unchambered - if your not comfortable carrying chambered then you probably shouldn't be carrying gun at all and just leave it at home cause you are a danger to yourself and everyone around you :)

chambered 24/7. if its unchambered its about as useless as a rock--might as well just throw it at them...things pop off too fast to carry it unchambered - if your not comfortable carrying chambered then you probably shouldn't be carrying gun at all and just leave it at home cause you are a danger to yourself and everyone around you :)

yep.. and +1 to GSP as well.

Seriously, if your not comfortable carrying in a holster with one chambered then no offense but you should not be carrying at all. PERIOD!!!. You keep questioning the safety's built into the firearm but let me say this YOU ARE NOT A FIREARM ENGINEER BUT THE PEOPLE THAT BUILT THEM ARE.... you dont question the gas pedal and brake in your car do you. Facts are facts, if your not comfortable carrying locked/loaded, then dont do it at all because you are a danger to yourself and everyone around you. I understand the mindset but it shows that you dont have enough training and comfort around the firearm to comfortably carry in which case you shouldnt carry at all. Those are purely facts and any CCW, LEO will tell you the same.

yep.. and +1 to GSP as well.

Seriously, if your not comfortable carrying in a holster with one chambered then no offense but you should not be carrying at all. PERIOD!!!. You keep questioning the safety's built into the firearm but let me say this YOU ARE NOT A FIREARM ENGINEER BUT THE PEOPLE THAT BUILT THEM ARE.... you dont question the gas pedal and brake in your car do you. Facts are facts, if your not comfortable carrying locked/loaded, then dont do it at all because you are a danger to yourself and everyone around you. I understand the mindset but it shows that you dont have enough training and comfort around the firearm to comfortably carry in which case you shouldnt carry at all. Those are purely facts and any CCW instructor, LEO, Mil, will tell you the same.

24/7 one in the hole. As many have said, why carry a paper weight in your holster? Its there to protect not scare. There to illiminate the threat not intimidate the threat. There to point and shoot not rack and shoot. Always always always carry ready to go.