Chambered or Unchambered - Opinions Please

Likwid

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

until you are ready to shoot dont touch the trigger. Best safety of all!!!
24/7 one in the hole. As many have said, why carry a paper weight in your holster? Its there to protect not scare. There to illiminate the threat not intimidate the threat. There to point and shoot not rack and shoot. Always always always carry ready to go.

qft!!:)

Likwid you will get more comfortable with it as time goes on.

Mike, if your instructor suggested that about SA revolvers, I have no beef. However, if that was to refer to a 1911 pistol, CZ75 or HK that can all be carried cocked and locked, then the guy is a tool and you need to not be listening to him.

Yes he was referring to revolvers. Spoke with IP and clarified that also. He also preferred the cocked and safety on for 1911 style weapons.

My Taurus has a frame safety so I'd carry cocked-and-locked.

That being said, I would think twice about chambered if I was relying on a grip-safety only. even if 9999 times out of 10000 it stops the shot, that 1 in 10,000 might ace you out by accident, or someone else. Not worth it in my book.

It is my personal belief that carrying unchambered will inadvertently develop poor firearm habits. In the back of your mind you ''know'' the gun is not chambered. You'll eventually become lax in your approach to that firearm. That is a no-no and will lead to someone becoming hurt or possibly killed.

+1, that's very good advice.

If you're concerned about the reliability of the safeties installed in a firearm you ought not be carrying that firearm. Period. Carrying without a round chambered because you're afraid of a resulting negligent discharge is unwarranted. Either carry the gun and handle it in a manner that is appropriate or buy a different gun.. one with 4' date='000 safeties so you can sleep at night.

My current piece has zero external safeties at all. No thumb safety. No grip safety. No trigger safety. I carry it chambered. I carry it in a holster. I keep my fingers out of the trigger guard. I don't accidentally shoot people. It is my personal belief that carrying unchambered will inadvertently develop poor firearm habits. In the back of your mind you ''know'' the gun is not chambered. You'll eventually become lax in your approach to that firearm. That is a no-no and will lead to someone becoming hurt or possibly killed.[/quote']

Very true! You have to be comfortable with your weapon or you shouldnt be carrying it.

yep.. and +1 to GSP as well.

Seriously, if your not comfortable carrying in a holster with one chambered then no offense but you should not be carrying at all. PERIOD!!!. You keep questioning the safety's built into the firearm but let me say this YOU ARE NOT A FIREARM ENGINEER BUT THE PEOPLE THAT BUILT THEM ARE.... you dont question the gas pedal and brake in your car do you. Facts are facts, if your not comfortable carrying locked/loaded, then dont do it at all because you are a danger to yourself and everyone around you. I understand the mindset but it shows that you dont have enough training and comfort around the firearm to comfortably carry in which case you shouldnt carry at all. Those are purely facts and any CCW instructor, LEO, Mil, will tell you the same.

i dont think i agree with all that one....there are reports of AD's by LEOS all the time......i chamber depending on location (like taco bell on high)....the the chances increase with hammerless guns with no saftey. I want to get a sig or HK (hammered) just because hammerless spook me just a bit (but I still use em cause the are easy not to catch on a draw. But also as said you NEVER touch the trigger unless firing!!!!

My Taurus 24/7 pistol is a hammerless design. I carry it chambered and trust it. When you chamber the first round, the firing pin is in a relaxed position, not pulled back against the spring. The first trigger pull is DA and pulls the firing pin back, gun goes boom, cycles the next round, and locks the firing pin back for SA action for following rounds. It also has a manual thumb safety and internal firing pin block. So carrying it with one (the first one) chambered should be extremely safe, and I like the SA for follow up shots.

from Wikipedia:

Trigger actions

While the earlier standard versions of the 24/7 pistol came equipped with double action only triggers, the later Pro models and some of the OSS pistols sport double action/single action triggers, allowing for a safer and harder long double action initial trigger pull, with the action for all subsequent shots being cocked by the first, resulting in a lighter and more concise single action trigger pull. This system allows for two major advantages, one being that the pistol can be safely carried with the safety off for faster first shot capability, and the second being that if a round misfires, the trigger can be quickly pulled again in double action mode, repeating the attempt to fire the recalcitrant round. This type of DA/SA system, pioneered on such firearms as the Walther P38 and PP/PPK, is much faster and simpler than the standard tap, rack, bang method of clearing a dud cartridge.[5]

i dont think i agree with all that one....there are reports of AD's by LEOS all the time......i chamber depending on location (like taco bell on high)....the the chances increase with hammerless guns with no saftey. I want to get a sig or HK (hammered) just because hammerless spook me just a bit (but I still use em cause the are easy not to catch on a draw. But also as said you NEVER touch the trigger unless firing!!!!

Two things

1) Never set the standard by LEOs. Even my cop buddies will agree to that.

2) You are referring to NEGLIGENT discharges.

What I said earlier in the thread still stands, keep the weapon holstered with the trigger guard covered and when not holstered, keep your finger off the freakin trigger. I guarantee that of all those reports of ND's by LEO's that you mention, 98% are covered by breaking the finger off the trigger rule.

If you can't follow that one simple safety rule, then yes, there is a pretty good likilhood of having an ND. However, carrying unchambered is not the fix, following the rule is. If you can't follow the rule, don't carry.

It's kinda funny that I am a bit nervous(just a little) carrying my PT92 with one chambered(hammer down) and a pretty hard DA pull. I rarely carry my large frame 9mm, But don't think twice about carrying my S&W .38 concealed hammer)in my pocket or IWB all day everyday while working construction and climbing around. Strange I feel safer carrying a gun without a safety(other than my finger).

FYI I use a Bianchi Proffesional IWB holster at 4:00 when wearing jeans and in my front pocket of my looser fitting Cintas work pants.

Cambered is how i was trained so thats what i'm used to. USAF is the only branch that carries their sidearm chambered and on fire. unless its changed of course. In the house my 9 is always chambered (don't have kids). if i get a rifle or shot gun tho it will be unloaded with a loaded clip or loader nearby (again if there's no kids).

Edited by everoblivion2005

Was going to edit but you can't on the mobile theme very well.

He confirmed USAF sidearms are chambered when loaded, only the rifles are unchambered.

USMC Security Forces here. We were Condition 1 on everythiing 380 days a year. Condition Zero (Safety OFF) on routes/patrol/asset movement/transpo.

I was in a school where if you muzzle fucked someone even on a dry run you got DQ'd.