Bike without a title? Idea's, suggestions?

NightRider

So...i got word about a bike close by...that's in good shape and runs well...but is missing the title. I've heard of International Title Service, and looked at their website...looks like a bunch of complicated bs. Plus 175$ and time waiting for papers/files to be sent back and forth.

I've talked to the owner, and he mentioned he bought it off a woman for his daughter to learn on. I highly doubt it's stolen, but then again you never know.

Any idea's, suggestion's on how i would possibly go about getting this thing in my name...and able to ride it...legally? Anybody ever use ITS?

Thanks in advance.

A court ordered title is a lot of red tape and not a sure thing. If you have a mechanic friend, you can ask him to file a mechanics lein.

How exactly would that work? The only reason i'm even interested is because it's a really cheap bike. I'll probably end up passing on it...but wanted to see if anyone has a quick way around it.

I've never had to do this, but...

If a mechanic provides a service on a vehicle and the owner either abondons the vehicle or refuses to pay, a mechanic can file a lein. After some time limit the mechanic can have a new title issued.

No title?

Two words - RUN fucking AWAY.

Seriously.

You doubt its stolen? Why is that? People steal change out of the cupholders of a car - they'll steal a cheap shitty bike too.

Maybe it isn't stolen, maybe someone just didnt want to pay the bank what they owed them. Wait...that's stealing too.

Maybe a PO reported it stolen to claim the insurance money on it?

Who knows why people do things? Bottom line is motor vehicles in Ohio have to have a title. If they don't there is a reason for it. Usually it isnt good.

Mechanics lein's are a pain in the dick. Lots of hoops to jump through even if the bike was most recently titled in Ohio. If it wasnt, then you have even MORE hoops to jump through. (I know, we used to do it). I dont think I'd do it for free - even for a friend.

Best bet - leave it alone.

You can run the vin on the Ohio BMV website and see if it is currently titled in Ohio. Most times learner bikes are just sold without even a bill of sale because nobody wants to pay taxes. The new owner just uses a plate from another bike until the person moves on to get a better bike, and then the same thing happens. Skip title is also illegal in Ohio, so I think you made the right decision. Plus, mechanics lien procedures just got more complicated.