Is it me or the bike?

mrbret

I am not expert so the issue could be me but I want some other opinions just incase:

When I am cornering (no set speed) I lean over a little, not knee down or anything, & I feel the back end of the bike kind of quiver a little which puts me right off & so I end up cornering a lot slower than I know the bike can go. The quiver is kind of like when you ride over the tar snakes or a groove in the road & you get the little back end wobble, you know what I mean? I know you do.

Anyway, would this be caused by something to do with the bike, e.g. tires, suspension etc or me being a big wuss & nothing to do with the bike?

I honestly think it is the bike but what do you all think?

If it helps any, One of my friends thinks that the last owner of the bike may have does a few burn outs on the bike as there is a 2-3" wide mark around the center of the tire.

i think its the tire, mine is the same way, i hate it, and my tire is basically near bald in the center and full tread on the sides, I bought it like this and have only put a few hundred miles on it, but I'm thinking its just the transition from leaning. if the bike doesn't sell asap then i'm doing a new rear tire.

Sounds like the tire. If it is flat spotted you can get what feels like a wiggle as the tire moves over the flat spot.

Other then that if it doesn't fix then I would check to make sure your wheel adjustments are dead on to make sure the wheels are aligned with each other. Also Check to make sure your chain isn't too tight as a tight change will not allow your suspension to work for you. You want at least an inch of play.

The qualifiers are good tire I never had a problem with them on my CBR 900 even to knee down.

Yep if it's got a flat spot in the middle, then the transition over to the side of the tire would not be smooth and it will fuck up the feel. I've ridden like that before, and can't stand it. It's just the transition from center to side that is fucked up; uneven to say. The center tends to wear more when you live in Ohio than the sides of the tire.

I saw your tire on the group ride... It didn't look terrible. I'd start with the easiest of things, tire pressure. I have my tires at 36PSI hot. If they are lower the ass end wallows under me in the turns... If they are higher I don't get the same feel on the road and the tail wants to slide. From there I'd look at suspension. You're a big guy, having your suspension properly dialed in will make an AMAZING difference... I know from experience. Start with the manual and adjust your suspension according to it's recommendations.

If I know I am doing some highway miles I will set it at 38-40 then drop the pressures down when I get to the twisties. Depending on how hard I plan on running or if I just want to waste the tires is where I set the pressures for the twisties.

Actually I run the pressures up so I can spin the rear more for fun a practice :D

well i would say TOO LOW of tire pressure......i cant say shit about the twists, but i know when i run EXTREME LOW tire pressure, i bounce like a superball around any corner with a lean lol lol i hate it, but it makes for a huge contact patch for balance :0

I would guess it is the rear tire as has allready been mentioned.

I rode my step dads bike once that had the rear tire squared off and everytime I went to corner the bike it felt like it was going to slide out on me.

Adjust the pressure and see if that helps but I think you really need a new tire, and you will be amazed at how much better the bike feels while cornering.

If it was that would it not feel like it all the time?

thats what i was about to say, yes you would definantly feel it at speed, and would get worse as you get faster, maybe even better in the turns with all the weight on the side of the tire

Thats what I'm thinking :(

I was having a look around & think I may go for a Pirelli Diablo on the rear & a Diablo or Diablo Strada on the front.

Not sure weather to go for the stock 190/50 on the rear or go for the 200/50.

I was having a look around & think I may go for a Pirelli Diablo on the rear & a Diablo or Diablo Strada on the front.

stock will be cheaper, you probably wont even use the extra tread on the street

The price is only about $5 more for the 200 over the 190. I was wondering if it would look any bigger (wider) than the 190?

I'd like to have the money to go for a single sided 240 or something but that is to much.

Did ya check your suspension and tire pressure? I'd do that before forkin' out the green for a new tire... they're both free!

Also, general rule of thumb as I have been taught is to keep your tires standard from front to rear... Mixing and matching two different tires, with different grip and other characteristics is probably not a good idea... Bottom line, front and rear are designed to work together and unless you really know what you are doing, you probably shouldn't fuck with that.

I'd also go with the stock 190... The engineers put it on there in the first place for a reason, why fuck with it? Plus, you need to consider what the change in tire width is going to do to your tire height as well. A 200 tire is not going to fit on your rim the same way so the 50 sized 200 will actually have a higher overall profile from being pinched, despite both the 190 and the 200 being 50's...

In other words, it'll increase the tire's diameter in relation to stock. Now the difference may be negligable in this instance, but in others it may not. It's surely worth considering though.

That being said, if you do buy new tires, I give props to the Diablo's. I have them on my bike and they are pretty nice. I will say this though, they do square off REALLY quickly, but I have not noticed any problems in the twisties. I have over 3k on mine, 1k or so were really hard miles... I am guessing another 2k out of them...

Another thought too...

If you are considering a 240 rear, then getting deep in the twisties is probably not your thing... Try out a sport touring tire like the Pilot Roads... They'll last a lot longer and are a high quality tire.