Teen dies at Grand Canyon...

Tomcat0403

Teen Dies at Grand Canyon After Water Runs Out

Friday, August 14, 2009 service_ap_36.gif

GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK, Ariz. — An 18-year-old who was among a group of eight hikers that had run out of water at the Grand Canyon has died.

The National Park Service says rafters on the Colorado River were flagged down by a hiking group Thursday morning about 30 miles downstream from Lees Ferry. The hikers told the rafters that they were out of water and needed help.

Park Service rangers then received a report that one of the eight hikers was dead.

A paramedic flown to the scene found the group about halfway down a trail known as the Shinumo Wash Route. The dead 18-year-old was located about a mile from the rest of the party and his body was flown out by a Park Service helicopter.

The service and Navajo Nation police will jointly investigate into the incident.

For realz?

Seriously?! I know how hard it is to hike up that thing, especially if you're not in great shape (I mean I've heard, because I'm super buff and never get tired). As soon as I read "told the rafters they were out of water" I started cracking up. Darwin Award!

well if i was near a river and I was close to dying, I would go ahead and drink. That being said, a lot of rivers contain protozoa and parasites that would only cause further dehydration once the diarrhea hits you, only causing you to die quicker and more painfully.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterborne_diseases

but if i was going to go hiking in the grand canyon you probably want to have a lot of water or a water filtration kit with you?!

People walk down into the Grand Canyon and die all the time.

Here's what the Shinumo Wash Route looks like:

I see some water, but it's not drinkable.

The river can't be seen, and I bet it is a long long ways away.

Dang kids, a gallon of water might not have been enough on a hot day.

Which is what I carry on a long hike. Two 2 quart canteens minimum.

399519.jpg

Sounds like he may have already been dead by the time the other hikers were able to get to the river and flag down the rafters. Either that or the Colorado River is saltwater (not sure).

It isnt saltwater :rolleyes: but it is muddy. Drinking it would cause diarrhea, which would be bad when you are already dehydrated in the middle of nowhere.

well if i was near a river and I was close to dying, I would go ahead and drink. That being said, a lot of rivers contain protozoa and parasites that would only cause further dehydration once the diarrhea hits you, only causing you to die quicker and more painfully.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterborne_diseases

but if i was going to go hiking in the grand canyon you probably want to have a lot of water or a water filtration kit with you?!

:plus1: filtration kit FTW!