Rider down in Dayton

ChickOn2

NO HELMET. May he RIP.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/248566.html?cxntnid=dlh-081409

There are photos from the accident scene right after it happened if you click on the link, then click on "motorcycle collides with car."

Here is the text only of the story for those who can't open DDN's Web site.

By Steve Bennish, Staff Writer Updated 6:14 AM Friday, August 14, 2009

A motorcycle rider was killed Thursday night, Aug. 13, when he apparently tried to pass a car on West Third Street, according to Dayton police.

Earl Grant, 40, of Dayton, died when he was thrown from his motorcycle and into an RTA pole as he and the car were headed east toward downtown, said Lt. Brian Johns.

A preliminary investigation has revealed that the man's motorcycle apparently clipped the front bumper of a Pontiac Catalina sedan about 8:30 p.m. as he tried to pass the car and change lanes, Johns said.

Witnesses said the bike continued on for at least another city block before it exploded into flames after the man was thrown into the pole.

He was not wearing a helmet, Johns said.

The driver of the car, who was not identified by name or age, will not be charged because that driver was not at fault, Johns said.

Police and emergency medical crews were dispatched to the area about 8:30 p.m. on a report of a motorcycle that was on fire in the street, Johns said.

Police arrived to find the bike burned beyond recognition and the rider dead in the street, he said.

Witnesses told police the biker was traveling well beyond the posted 35 mph speed limit, Johns said.

"He was a good guy in the Youngbloods Motorcycle Club," Van Barnes, a member of the Toros Motorcycle Club who goes by the name "Battlecat," said of the victim.

"He was well known in the biking community," "Battlecat" Barnes said.

In the aftermath of the incident, police closed West Third to traffic in both directions, from Ardmore to Orchard avenues. Johns said the street would likely be closed to traffic until approximately midnight.

When I started riding nothing pissed me off more than a "gear Nazi", man do I want to give those guys a hug now. I wasn't against gear, I just thought it was the riders decision to make. I still believe it should be the riders decision, but it should be an educated decision and that is where so many are lacking. Maybe we should invite the "Dragon Masters" out on one of our rides.

I really hope that some of their club member learns something from this.

RIP Earl

When I started riding nothing pissed me off more than a "gear Nazi", man do I want to give those guys a hug now. I wasn't against gear, I just thought it was the riders decision to make. I still believe it should be the riders decision, but it should be an educated decision and that is where so many are lacking. Maybe we should invite the "Dragon Masters" out on one of our rides.

I really hope that some of their club member learns something from this.

RIP Earl

I know a lot of the Dragon Masters (I'm affiliated with another MC here in Dayton) and a fair amount of MC members have the shitty habit of wanting to be "seen" instead of being geared up. Which makes no sense because our vests all have our ride names on the back.

A few of us insist on wearing our gear and not drinking at MC events if we are on 2 that night, and we get looked at askance, like we are being over-conservative or something. And then something like this happens :( No one wants to say "I told you so" but that will do nothing for Big Dog's (Earl) family, including his 3 kids and his mother, who lives with him.

Sad part is, he was an experienced rider. He clipped a car when trying to pass too close, propelling his skull into a RTA pole. It was a wrap, instantly.

I know a lot of the Dragon Masters (I'm affiliated with another MC here in Dayton) and a fair amount of MC members have the shitty habit of wanting to be "seen" instead of being geared up. Which makes no sense because our vests all have our ride names on the back.

A few of us insist on wearing our gear and not drinking at MC events if we are on 2 that night, and we get looked at askance, like we are being over-conservative or something. And then something like this happens :( No one wants to say "I told you so" but that will do nothing for Big Dog's (Earl) family, including his 3 kids and his mother, who lives with him.

Sad part is, he was an experienced rider. He clipped a car when trying to pass too close, propelling his skull into a RTA pole. It was a wrap, instantly.

Tell the rest of them Peace Out, if you stick around with people doing that shit you will be attending way to many funerals or one of them is gonna cause you to wreck. Maybe they will take the hint

Drinking is cool I love to do it, drinking and riding a bike is scary as shit!! I have made more than my fair share of bad choices in life but I try and learn from them as fast as I can.

RIP, but he clipped the bumper of an oncoming car, squid move for someone not wearing gear. And if I do say so , someone in that neighborhood needs to mow their grass.

slideshow_1213939_ddn081309motorcyclefatal03.JPG

All true, true and true again

And I would say there are several things in that pic that need to be fixed.