Electrical help on a 98vfr

v65rider

I have question for you guys, my friend on a 98VFR and I were ridding in South East OH today when he lost all electrical power to the bike.

All of the fuses are good and the batter is a little low but not bad. Do any of you know of a way to test the regulator/rectifier, and if the regulator is out will that also keep the dispays from showing up on the dash?

yes the reg rectifier is a weak point on them and 900rr from that time frame. They had a huge problem with over heating to the point people would use heat sink paste and heat sinks from computers to keep them cool.

They will go bad and will loose all power. Sometime looking at them will show its bad, They might look bulged or even obviously burnt.

Hope that helps

I have question for you guys, my friend on a 98VFR and I were ridding in South East OH today when he lost all electrical power to the bike.

All of the fuses are good and the batter is a little low but not bad. Do any of you know of a way to test the regulator/rectifier, and if the regulator is out will that also keep the dispays from showing up on the dash?

Take it to AutoZone.... you'll have to show them where to hook shit up but still, they should be able to test most of it! :)

Thanks for the help guys very much appreciated!

Also could it be tested if it is removed from the bike or is that what you meant?

To be 100% honest, I don't know if you can get to that and/or test it while it's on the bike... but if you can, you'd have to show the tool at the counter, they aren't trained for anything motorcycle related.