Opinions on brake pads for sportbikes

mrmako777

i need to throw some pads on the bike soon, so im curious as to peoples experiences with different brands. i was thinking about goin with the vesrah rjl, but i thought i read somewhere that they dont last long. i do need something with good bite and long life. stock pads are ebc

You might want to tell what your usage is, street, aggressive street, or track.

good point. i guess i would say aggressive street primarily since i dont commute on it. i dont typically use engine breaking either unless im taking it easy so im on the brakes hard before i go into the turn

Edited by mrmako777

Another vote for EBC HH's, I've got them front and rear. With the HH's it does become easier to lock the rear, so be mindful of that.

Lol I've used the rear brake about 3 times in 14000 miles all at stop lights. I don't think ill ever need rear pads

you aren't kidding about the HBC HHs being loud. My god.

is it normal for them to make some noise all the time, or are my pads rubbing on the rotors too much?

Normal. They are loud and aren't all that great performance wise either.

i put a set of Sixity on my front...they are great...got them off ebay....was hesitant at first to get something like that from ebay but they've been great. They are a dirty pad though since they're organic...there's virtually no noise.

• Upvote 1

I"m telling you guys you should get ferodo sintered pads. the best pad I've ever tried. ferodo claims their st pads have the highest braking torque than any other brand of pads.

my buddy that has galfers even admitted mine has more braking power than his. and my brother had a set of the ebc and they wore out very fast and weren't that great performance wise like you guys said. they were basically over priced stock pads.

Edited by serpentracer

Since I am working on the same project with getting new rotors in, I have been debating on changing out from my CL SBK5's to something else. Was kicking between Vesrash RJS's and Ferodo ST or XRAC's. It then its $100 vs $160..... so the choice seems to be coming easier!

some guys never listen LOL. they'll last you about 12k miles. in the long run you will spend more than if you just bought good pads.

like I was saying I've got 25k miles on mine and that's track riding also. and they are about 80% gone.

I spent $76 for them.

and they work so much better. I should let you ride my bike, you'd kick yourself in the nads for going with the ebc.

Exactly which pads are you getting and where from for the Ferodo's? I only found them at for like $160 shipped for both calipers. But that was for the XRAC's. The ST's were around $100.

I have the ST pads.

I got them locally at a (now closed:() holeshot motorsports.

the xrac's are very exspensive and more than likely over kill for the average rider. hell I wouldn't imagine 90% of us needing anything more than what the st offers.

the "array cooling" is just holes drilled into the pads. it's not a special compound etc.

the price might vary from bike to bike but for my R6 was about $76 with tax. well worth it considering they've been on my bike since 2004.

here is opp racing they list for $73.90 for both sets (left and right).

I'm sure a local shop can order them for you and save you the shipping.

http://www.oppracing.com/products/600-ferodo-brake-pads/

Edited by serpentracer

• 4 years later...

i put a set of Sixity on my front...they are great...got them off ebay....was hesitant at first to get something like that from ebay but they've been great. They are a dirty pad though since they're organic...there's virtually no noise.

Thanks so much for your business and your kind words about our products!  We are happy to be able to offer high quality products at the most affordable prices possible.  We stand behind our products, and encourage anyone with questions or comments to contact us!  Happy holidays :)

• 4 weeks later...

i'm big fan of the Vesrah RJLs. used the ferrodos on my SV and switched to the Vesrah on my 600's.  Biggest thing with the rjls is initial bite.  When you literally have to run higher fluid levels in your forks due to the pad... you know they bite.  There's no progressive bite with those pads. Very much an on/off racing pad.  Ferrodos were good, however I have no experience with them on fast bikes nor on the street with any of these pads.