T-shirt Design Contest

Casper

I agree, should have something dirt related on there. Maybe on the front above the ohio riders logo?

Yeah, but it should be me on the KLR650 covering the whole front of the shirt in color! :D

Maybe not, not wanna scare young children do we. :rolleyes: Here's the best I can do fro a B&W KLR.

OhioRiders2.jpg

Edited by buildit

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so I'm dumb and don't know how to place images on the template.. anyway... my idea is to have the Ohio Riders logo on the front left chest with the est. 2006 info under or on top of it.

Then on the back, have the Ohio Riders Logo (Huge on the upper back) with website URL under that... and all the motorcycle manufactures logos in the middle, and have a saying like, "What ever you ride, there is a place for you" Or something like that on the bottom??

I would do the template, but can't figure it out without having to use MS-Paint

Problem with using the logos is copyright infringement. And most likely, they won't give us written consent to use them.

Problem with using the logos is copyright infringement. And most likely, they won't give us written consent to use them.

I meant to ask, are you charging for the shirts? I assume, any profit? Most images can be used if you aren't making money off the logo... even without consent for most cases.

I meant to ask, are you charging for the shirts? I assume, any profit? Most images can be used if you aren't making money off the logo... even without consent for most cases.

We will be selling them. We've been making like $2 or $3 per shirt I think (which so far all that money has done is go to buy more shirts, hence orders starting with 10-20 and now we're order like 50-100). But regardless, it doesn't matter if you make a profit or not. You cannot use images without permission. They can sue you, regardless of making a profit or not.

Re: using logos, assuming Casper doesn't plan to make a profit off the shirts it'd probably hit fair use (unless he used something like cafepress which makes money)

But even if you did make money, it's educational use, and it'd be damn hard for the manufacturers to sue for damages since there's no damage to their brand.

1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
  2. the nature of the copyrighted work;
  3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
  4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Re: using logos, assuming Casper doesn't plan to make a profit off the shirts it'd probably hit fair use (unless he used something like cafepress which makes money)

But even if you did make money, it's educational use, and it'd be damn hard for the manufacturers to sue for damages since there's no damage to their brand.

1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
  2. the nature of the copyrighted work;
  3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
  4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Dude, you can't use their logos without permission. They're copyrighted and trademarked. They can sue you regardless of making a profit or not.

Here's a prime example: http://www.adrants.com/2008/01/ford-slaps-brand-enthusiasts-returns.php

Dude, you can't use their logos without permission. They're copyrighted and trademarked. They can sue you regardless of making a profit or not.

Here's a prime example: http://www.adrants.com/2008/01/ford-slaps-brand-enthusiasts-returns.php

Heh, I've had to deal with our legal folks before on fair use versus what we can sue for. But I understand why you would want to just avoid it.

glad to see everyone can take directions...

Welll to be honest most of the questions/comments are serious.

If we can only use creative commons or public license images we're restricted. Can't show a Kawasaki Vulcan unless it's an image you took or drew. And even then if you have any logos visible the company can sue for violation of fair use since it contains their copyrighted logos.

Heh, I've had to deal with our legal folks before on fair use versus what we can sue for. But I understand why you would want to just avoid it.

:nono:

This isn't fair use dude. We're not a non-profit. By putting their logos on our shirts, they could come after us saying we're trying to associate us with them and them with us. That's illegal.

Straight from Yamaha's website:

5. Trademarks

Certain names, logos and/or slogans contained in the Website, including all Yamaha logos and the marks "Yamaha" and "Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.", are the trademarks and service marks of Yamaha and/or its parent corporation. Such marks may not be used without the express written authorization from their respective owners.

Here's Honda's:

Intellectual Property

American Honda will aggressively enforce its intellectual property rights to the full extent of the law. All images, text, sound, photos, custom graphics, button icons, the collection and compilation and assembly thereof, and the overall “look and feel” and distinctiveness of the Site constitute trade dress and are either the property of American Honda or used on this Site with permission. The absence on the Site of our name or logo does not constitute a waiver of our trademark or other intellectual property rights relating to such name or logo. All other product names, company names, marks, logos, and symbols appearing on the Site may be the trademarks and the property of their respective owners.

You acknowledge and agree that information, and services available on the Site are protected by copyrights, trademarks, service marks, patents, trade secrets, or other proprietary rights and laws and are owned or licensed by American Honda. Except as expressly authorized by American Honda, either in these Terms or elsewhere, you agree not to sell, license, rent, modify, distribute, copy, reproduce, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, publish, adapt, edit, or create derivative works from the System, information, or services. Without waiving any of the foregoing rights, you may print or download information or products from the Site for your own personal, non-commercial home use, provided that you keep intact all copyright and other proprietary notices. Systematic retrieval of information or services from the Site to create or compile, directly or indirectly, a collection, compilation, database, or directory without written permission from American Honda is prohibited.

And so on......

If you use any images, make sure you made them or have permission to use them. If you use logos, be sure you get permission from the company. Otherwise, don't use them.

No on the flip side, we could see if any sponsors wanted to chip in $$$$ to have their logo put on the shirts. That would lower the cost of the shirts, or possibly even making them free.