Need help, Over heating 98 gsxr

EtherEg

I have a 98 gsxr and it overheats...

I have a problem after driving for a little while, it will rise to around 178-205 ish driving, but if i sit at a light for long it might reach 210ish, then go down when i take off.

if i then park my bike or sit on it for more than a minute or so, it will rise to 220ish and up to 235, the bike will start leaking coolant out of the overflow, and the overflow will be full of boiling coolant.

I didnt hear my fan turn on, maybe a fuse? or ECT is bad? or bad wire?

but am not sure if its my fan since the bike seems to climb while im riding pretty quick, (because my friends 02 and 97 gsxrs arent at the same heat as mine, they are usually 5-10 deg lower.

Thanks for any help

Ethan

ive heard the fan kick on once since ive owned the bike, but i didn't hear it when the temp rose the past 2 times this happened

i shut it off right when i saw it reach the high temp

No i haven't changed the coolant lately, its bright green, not dirty, so i assumed it was previously done since ive owned it 3 months so far

Edited by EtherEg

So you think a manual fan switch would fix my problem? i was going to do this anyways, but didn't know if it were water pump, or thermostat going out?

As far a coolant do i use anything special or just good old ethylene glycol, (green stuff) 50/50

Gotta be a thermal switch on it that is supposed to kick the fan on. Find it (screwed into the radiator somewhere) and turn the key on and ground the wire that is hooked to it. That should start the fan. If it doesn't then you have a bad fan or fuse or wiring to the fan. If it does start the fan you have a bad thermal switch or a low coolant issue. If you have to pull the switch you will be changing your coolant, which as the other folks said is a good idea at this point.

So you think a manual fan switch would fix my problem? i was going to do this anyways, but didn't know if it were water pump, or thermostat going out?

As far a coolant do i use anything special or just good old ethylene glycol, (green stuff) 50/50

I've heard a product called water wetter works great for coolant. Not sure of the mix, but definitely look into it.

Water wetter is greatfor the motor! It however will freez and destroy your motor. If the head is warped look for antifreeze in the oil or the overflow bottle will bubble while motor is running cold. It could be a couple things,but its all very simple to do yourself. PM me if u want to call and ask anything.

theres no trace of oil in the coolant, or a bad head gasket

it ran today and when to 225 fan kicked on, and then dropped to 216 and fan went off, but once i saw my fan worked i turned it off to make sure it wouldnt overheat while it was sitting, with me checking the Coolant temp sensor, and fan

• 3 months later...

Alright thanks guys, do the radiators have a drain? lol or do i take off the bottom hose

Ill buy a oem thermostat and then ill do 50/50,

may be straight i know its new and bright green, and the previous owner half assed alot of shit, (front fairing stay for headlight) was plastic one jb welded, i bought an aluminum one off ebay! off a 750