Bersa, Kel-tech, Magnum research, Hi-point

Gump

HI-point= cheap junk but what about Bersa, kel-tech and this expensive Magnum research gun?

I was looking for new carry piece and i'm not really familiar with reliability of some of these names.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Point I never had a problem with, but after some of the stuff I'd heard I wouldn't carry one (plus they are huge).

Bersa there's been a lot of talk about. Magnu Research you probably can guess my opinion on an Israeli company :-D Only negative is the Baby-Eagles have exposed hammers, so you'd want a holster that has leather between the back of the gun and your body.

I'd highly recommend an XD SC :) I love mine!

I've heard the Bersa's in .380 caliber are great, but the other calibers get mixed reviews. Lifetime warranty on the Bersas, but that doesn't mean much if your gun spends more time at the 'smith than in your holster.

I don't know much about Kel-tec or Magnum Research... here's the Wiki on HiPoint though - made in Mansfield, OH. That alone makes me not trust them :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi-Point_Firearms

Edited by JRMMiii
Corrected Kel-Tec

I loved my HP Gump. It was always reliable after I sent it in for repair (which was free. Yay lifetime warranty) They are a little bulky for carry though. Blake has a sweet Kel-tec 9. I would like to get one of these to carry. I think he gave $265.

http://www.gunblast.com/Kel-Tec9mm.htm

Honestly, I just wouldn't trust Hi Point. Manual thumb safety and magazine safety. I can't find anything on their site about drop safety or otherwise.

To be clear, I have/would have no issues with Hi Point as a home defense weapon or for plinking... I NEVER had an issue with mine, but I wouldn't trust it on my hip on the motorcycle.

Only issue I personally had was the trigger pull was pretty heavy, like really heavy.

Thanks for the input.

I'll skip the HP's. They are kinda like a Homelite weed eater in my mind..

I don't prefer plastic composite guns which turns me away from the Kel-Tec.

I'm leaning towards the Bersa or the Walther.

Edited by Gump

Thanks fo rthe input.

I'll skip the HP's. They are kinda like a Homelite weed eater in my mind..

I'm leaning towards the Bersa or the Walther.

Ahh man, I have a Homelite weedwacker... it sucks :(

Judging by the manufacturers you started with I assume price is a main draw? (although Eagles are very expensive, even the micro isn't really cheap)

I just sold my HP C9. I loved the price and it was fun to plink with but I had 1 hang up out of 8 on every mag. I put probably 700 rds through it. It was big and bulky and I heard if I sent it in they could fix the misfeading problem. The only reason I sold it was I got a screaming deal on a Kahr .40 that I wanted instead. The .40 is smaller and lighter for ccw.

I personally wouldn't use a hi-point for a club, let alone a firearm, but I do like the Bersa for the price. I have one and I only bought it after several other shooters I trust recommended it. (I laughed at the first few, but sheer numbers overwhelmed me and I liked the way they looked and shot.) For 250 bucks, it's a great little .380 for CCW. (I use Corbon +p in the aluminum frame though, not really recommended...)

IMI is just fine, if not expensive. Leave it to the Isrealis to make a pistol that will blow your head off, but has relatively little recoil. I have only shot the .357 mag Eagle, but it was sweet... Having a pistol like that not only makes your dick feel bigger, it looks bigger too!

I'm getting rid of my Glock, think I might go back to Berretta or grab a Sig... Chunky bugger is too uncomfortable for in the belt carry, and has been featured in too many damn rap videos. Every time someone picks it up and holds it sideways I get violent feelings deep inside me...

Does your Bersa have the low profile sites and or do you think it's that big of a deal?

Screw it... I think I will buy a KEL-TEC....It will feel good to buy something American made for once...

Which finish did Blake get?

Blued? Parkerized or Hard Chrome?

I'm so indecisive...

Edited by Gump

My Kel-tec is blued with a black frame, $269 at vances. Its as light and about the same size as Max's S&W, but holds 7 + 1. It kicks quite a bit of a nine but i think its just the lightness of the gun im not used to. i recommend it life time warranty, made in florida

This company bought a pretty big building down the road from where I work. They have yet to move in. Hopefully i'll be able to finagle some free guns for stretch wrap.

http://www.centuryarms.com/Century/home.htm

Their site sucks. I couldnt see one example of their product.

My Kel-tec is blued with a black frame, $269 at vances. Its as light and about the same size as Max's S&W, but holds 7 + 1. It kicks quite a bit of a nine but i think its just the lightness of the gun im not used to. i recommend it life time warranty, made in florida

Even Cheaper right now through the 12th

http://vanceoutdoors.com/flyer/flyer.pdf

had a hi-point c9... ok accurate but just too damn ugly.

had a bersa 380... good the the beavertail rubbed my side (love handle). uncomfortable. but a very good gun. ammo's a bit steep for a small caliber. if you decide on one of these, get the CC model. it has a smaller beavertail.

Keltec's are very good for the money. never owned one but wouldn't hesitate.

look at Kahr. little more money but DAMN good guns! they make metal and polymer framed pistols.

Why not Taurus? pt111 9mm or 85 .38spl. i have both and love both of them equally.

and i had a Century Arms WASR-10... good company.

i got a hp 9mm and love it. Im not a target shooter but have no trouble holding a 2-3inch 6 round grouping at 20yards. Sites were off when i got it as well but after siting it in...its great. Never have jammed or anything. another point of view. if your carrying on your bike, wouldn't you want a little less expensive weapon just in case it fell out or god forbid you lowsided and had a $900 weapon ground down to nothing.

just my opinion. unless your target shooting why spend the extra $$$??

i got a hp 9mm and love it. Im not a target shooter but have no trouble holding a 2-3inch 6 round grouping at 20yards. Sites were off when i got it as well but after siting it in...its great. Never have jammed or anything. another point of view. if your carrying on your bike, wouldn't you want a little less expensive weapon just in case it fell out or god forbid you lowsided and had a $900 weapon ground down to nothing.

just my opinion. unless your target shooting why spend the extra $$$??

And one good thing to remember about a HP is the waranty... LIFETIME.. Pretty much No questions asked... AND they are made right here in OHIO

If I had to rely on a firearm for self preservation it definetly would not be a HP. I've heard of enough reliability issues to keep me away.

Kel-Tec makes quality guns, that are extremely lightweight and excellent for CCW. If you plan to put 20,000 rounds through your pistol, Kel-Tec might NOT be for you. The service life isn't as long as a Glock or a Sig, but IMO that is an acceptable trade off when you consider thier ultra-light-weight. FWIW...I've only put 5,000+ rounds through one pistol and that was a .22 target pistol.