Anyone with Bazzaz Self Mapping Kit experience?

NinjaNick

What's your experience and opinion with the Bazzaz Self Mapping Kit? The new way to go or no? I hear Power Commander has started trying out the concept too. No more dyno tuning in the future?:dunno:

http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/product/BAZZAZ-PERFORMANCE-ZAFM-SELF-MAPPING-KIT/?catalogId=110716

I'm still leery of these auto-learning systems. Companies have been trying them in cars for years, sometimes they work flawlessly and sometimes they will record glitches and make life with the tuning hell until you reset the learning curve and make it relearn.

I'd have to do more research really to back anything I say regarding the Bazzaz though.

i have heard good things! I only have the fuel unit though but to be constantly tuned would be sweet!

The software does update the map. It does however show you the percentage of error and it can be applied to the map with a laptop. I have used it and it works pretty good. You still need to have a understanding tuning to use it.

I have the PCV and autotune on my bike and it sometimes doesn't work that well. It will tune itself silky smooth and then it gets all pissy and starts doing stupid shit. I am not the only person that has had "issues" with the unit but they did some firmware updates and it seems resolved.

I have the PCV and autotune on my bike and it sometimes doesn't work that well. It will tune itself silky smooth and then it gets all pissy and starts doing stupid shit. I am not the only person that has had "issues" with the unit but they did some firmware updates and it seems resolved.

Your "PC V" is self mapping? Are all of the "5's" self mapping?

It's pretty idiot proof, really. The biggest deal is making sure you clear your maps. In other words, if you accidently "stack" maps, you can really screw stuff up.

One of the best systems out there for the money.

I want to be clear on what you're saying. Are you saying that before every ride clear the whole unit?

Also, when you say "stack" maps, are you meaning not clearing them before a ride like I said above?

Just curious because I know nothing about this unit or how it works.

Keep in mind guys the Wideband needs to be in 100% working order for it to tune correctly. If the wideband starts to fail then the tune will turn to shit as well. Once the bike is tuned I would suggest removing the wideband and only reinstall it should the bike need another tune.

from my understanding.. for the PCV and auto tune

you still need a base map to go off of.

you get the map to what you want via dyno tuning, then the self tuner will keep it in check per RPM range and throttle position. basically keeping it at your perfect a/f .

Keep in mind guys the Wideband needs to be in 100% working order for it to tune correctly. If the wideband starts to fail then the tune will turn to shit as well. Once the bike is tuned I would suggest removing the wideband and only reinstall it should the bike need another tune.

+1. Don't widebands tend to fall out of spec pretty quickly when run continously in the exhaust? That would make the whole point moot in just under a month.

I'm totally ignorant to tuning except knowing what rich and lean is, that's simple. Other than that I've never known the inside to tuning. What is this "wideband" you speak of?

from my understanding.. for the PCV and auto tune

you still need a base map to go off of.

you get the map to what you want via dyno tuning, then the self tuner will keep it in check per RPM range and throttle position. basically keeping it at your perfect a/f .

That makes sense. I wonder if that's how this Bazzaz self mapping kit works best.

I'm totally ignorant to tuning except knowing what rich and lean is, that's simple. Other than that I've never known the inside to tuning. What is this "wideband" you speak of?

That makes sense. I wonder if that's how this Bazzaz self mapping kit works best.

"wideband" is being referred to the Oxygen sensor in the exhaust. It is best to start off with a tune on a dyno so you know where you should be. That way the map will slightly adjust for the given conditions. If you start with no map at all and let the tuner go to work you have no way of knowing if it is even close.

If you let the PCV and autotuner build you map from scratch just go to one of the dyno days and have brian do a couple of pulls. When you get your printout it shows Air Fuel Ratio and if it looks good then you are all done.

A wideband is an O2 sensor, except unlike standard O2 sensors it has a very wide sensitivity range so it can pick up on changes in exhaust gas at a much finer level. Widebands are used for tuning regularly and then removed as constant use will cause them to fall out of calibration.

Edit: Damnit shitty, I can only type so fast on a phone. Lol