Salvage title to Rebuilt title

bt's

Just in case some of you have not been through this before, here are the steps you have to follow in Ohio to change a salvage titled bike into a rebuilt titled bike and get plates / registration. I just got off the phone with the BMV and OSP and thought I would share...

Right now it has a salvage title.

The first step toward riding a salvaged bike legally is to go to the BMV and purchase an inspection ticket ($53.50) for the State Highway Patrol inspection. Then you have to trailer it to to an OSP Salvage site where they inspect the bike for stolen parts / good VIN #'s / reciepts for replacement parts. "Don't ride it in, please." she said :D

After the inspection, the OSP issues a document (pass / fail inspection) that is taken BACK to the title office with the salvage title. Then you pay for a rebuilt title. Then you go to the BMV and buy your plates.

yeah, it's pretty easy, but their wait is usually 2 to 3 months. i got my ticket as soon as i picked up my 954. so i was ready to go when it was done.

funny thing is, once i got it together, i had the guy i bought it from write me a bill of sale and i got 30 day tags... :) so i rode it a month before i got it inspected.

Edited by curby

A couple of the guys I know rebuild cars all the time. The last time they called for an appointment at the Alum Creek location, it was just a couple weeks out, compared to the couple months it used to be.

They have ALWAYS driven the vehicle to get the inspection, with NO plates. Myself, I would just trailer it, to be sure, and avoid any encounters with LEO's that aren't needed.