Ride Recap: NE Ohio running Rt. 555 on 9/6/09

Disclaimer

Semi-continuation of this thread: http://www.ohio-riders.com/showthread.php?t=33954

Sunday a crew was going to roll out from the usual meet spot (Rt. 82/ Rt. 83) around 10AM. We started the day with 7 bikes: my SV, a ZZR, an R6S, two new R1s, and two ZX-10s. I really only knew 2 of the other guys, Greg (aka Jinx :p:D) and Jon, and only Jon (Turbo810) was another member of Ohio Riders site.

Start of the ride:

9318_516875425879_53800032_30776428_1780830_n.jpg9318_516875430869_53800032_30776429_216107_n.jpg9318_516875435859_53800032_30776430_2706825_n.jpg

The plan was to roll out down 83S, hit 78W, 555N, 60N, 39E, then 83N to complete the loop.

Map of Route

We were pulling off the four-lane bypass south of Wooster. We hear a screeching tire, then a motorcycle rev up, then sliding gravel. I look down and there’s a teal ZZR lying on the ground next to me with the rider in the grass. Honestly, I’m just glad he didn’t run into the back of me and take me out. I pull my bike forward to park it, then we all help the guy pick up the bike and get it fired again. He decided his day was over at that point, so he turned and left. He didn’t stick around long enough to get a story out of him, but we think he was one of those guys that favors the rear brake, came off the off ramp a little hot, locked the rear up trying to get slowed down for the stop sign, accidentally blipped the throttle attempting to control his slide, then finally dumped it right next to me. His fairings were rashed up pretty bad on the right side and he broke the wiring harness and light to his right turn signal... but it can all be fixed. I’ve marked the spot on the map above – the marker right south of Wooster. The rest of us went on our way.

We made it all the way to 555N before the second incident. Having never ridden 555, I didn’t know what to expect so I wasn’t going to push it too hard this time. Having ridden it now, it’s filled with a bunch of switchbacks and 15-25mph 90* left and right hand hairpin turns. Very technical – and great for motorcyclists. I was following the kid on the gray/red R1 and we came up upon a sharp left hander. We both slowed, but apparently he didn't slow enough – he stood the bike up and went off road, turning his sportbike into a dirtbike. I remember seeing him stand it up and hit the first rut – the ass end of the bike up in the air like a bucking bronco. I didn’t want to get target fixated, so I focused on my line to complete the turn, stopped, and turned around to help. This spot is also marked on my map (if you look at the “Streetview” and look north, you can see the 90* left hander). Luckily he was OK, and the bike was rideable. He said he kept it up until it came to a stop then it kind of just fell over. It broke some plastics up near the dash, but the side fairing looked fine aside from some dirt. He was actually really lucky that he didn’t hit the water main sticking up – he missed it by about 5 inches. If he would’ve hit that, I’m pretty sure he would’ve cartwheeled the bike. Here are pictures from the scene:

9318_516875440849_53800032_30776431_3658044_n.jpg9318_516875445839_53800032_30776432_1486886_n.jpg9318_516875450829_53800032_30776433_7172134_n.jpg

The homeowner (and his kids) came out and bullshitted with us – telling us stories about the drunk drivers that run off that corner (how he lost his patio), about his dirtbike racing, and about his own personal streetbike accidents. He was a really friendly guy, a complete hillbilly (not that there’s anything wrong with that – I have hillbilly roots), but a cool guy. He also suggested trying to run route 669... so I might have to schedule a trip to do that.

You'd think the drama for the day was over? Not even close. Once we finally got going again, we decided to stop in Zanesville to grab a bite to eat. Completely unplanned, we roll into a Wendy’s on Rt. 60N near SR 70.

^--- the rest of that story is in this thread: http://www.ohio-riders.com/showthread.php?t=34023

After all that weirdness... all 6 of us made it home after one more gas stop.

Sorry I didn't get the names of the other 3 guys that rode with us - my lack of social skills strike again. I'm sure Greg knows them. They were cool guys, but the offroad R1 guy should think about getting/wearing some gear for the next ride ;) He's lucky it turned out as good as it did. :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice recap...specially about the idiot with the camera @ Wendy!

I am glad that no one got hurt.....just some additional work for Mike at Kennedy.

By the way Justin...

Does Greg R. post here on OR ?

We used to go ride together while ago, I would like to see him riding, beside seeing him at the dealership stuffing his face with hot dogs :D.

Just wondering .....

Next time, if you guys go riding, look me up, I'll love to come with you guys (maybe this Saturday/Sunday to Cbus?).

I tried once with Uncle Punk but the rain kept most of you at home.

progress.gif

Edited by Doomking

Nice ride report. Sounds like a good time, but sucks about the guys who went down, and the unpleasantness at Wendys.

Those roads down there like 555/536/26 ect are tons of fun, but require a steady head and good bit of experience to try and ride quickly.

My wife and I camped down by the river Saturday night and came back on OH-26 & OH-800 and there were a few spots where it would have been really easy to get into trouble trying to haul ass.

Hopefully I can make the next one.

That's the same loop we took the weekend my bike died with just me and Jinx.

Justin if you liked 555 you were only on half of it. I think 255 is a better road this year because of the new repave but 555 is three times longer so you get more bang for your buck. Not everyone likes that much work in your face for 120 miles. (Riding it both ways.) I think its a blast. What did you think of 83 just before 78? That repaved section is fast.

I only kind of know the kid on the white R1 we rode with him on the fun run. He wants to be a good rider and seems to want to listen and learn. With his attitude he will do fine.

Once again Jinx earns his name. I'm not there and someone goes down. Did he have anything to do with it, was he riding like an asshole?

geez, you could have gotten one of us with 555 time to baby foot it through the corners for you. Really, 555 is all about riding a high line into the corners, till you see the (clean) line out. So it's all hard acceleration out of corners to stay happy, for me anyway. Too many corners have mixed radius/elevation/road surface/etc. I'm not even counting the skittered sideways on 555 tar snakes coming into or out of corners.

I am glad that no one got hurt.....just some additional work for Mike at Kennedy.

By the way Justin...

We used to go ride together while ago, I would like to see him riding, beside seeing him at the dealership stuffing his face with hot dogs :D.

Just wondering .....

Next time, if you guys go riding, look me up, I'll love to come with you guys (maybe this Saturday/Sunday to Cbus?).

progress.gif

No, I've mentioned it to Greg to get on here (and I"m sure Tod has too), but he's not really interested. He's pretty hilarious to hang around with, pretty soft spoken for the riding skills he has.

The guy that dumped the ZZR - Greg just sold him that bike a few months ago.

I'll ride down to the M&G with a group here - weather dependent.

That's the same loop we took the weekend my bike died with just me and Jinx.

He pointed out exactly where you broke down too. :D

Justin if you liked 555 you were only on half of it. I think 255 is a better road this year because of the new repave but 555 is three times longer so you get more bang for your buck. Not everyone likes that much work in your face for 120 miles. (Riding it both ways.) I think its a blast. What did you think of 83 just before 78? That repaved section is fast.

It was fun... there was some corners with gravel that I didn't appreciate. I almost crossed the double yellow around one because I went in hot, trail braked a little too hard and slid the rear out enough to make me worry. As long as you keep moving, that's not a bad route to just make a quick ride and come back home. It shouldn't have taken us from 10AM to 6PM to do it. I think we probably could've been back by 4PM if we didn't have the incidents (ZZR, R1, and Wendy's).

I only kind of know the kid on the white R1 we rode with him on the fun run. He wants to be a good rider and seems to want to listen and learn. With his attitude he will do fine.

Once again Jinx earns his name. I'm not there and someone goes down. Did he have anything to do with it, was he riding like an asshole?

Yea the kid on the white was pretty good, pretty level headed. I wish I would've had a liter bike just to see if I could've kept pace with him because I think I was faster in the turns, but the R1 walked on me in the straights.

No, Greg was riding at maybe 70-75% of the pace I think he could've ridden at - he said he left a little 'in the bank' because he didn't want a super fast ride. He was riding just under your pace and he wasn't trying to sucker anyone into to keeping up with him... except when he challenged our boy Quik to 'run em'

geez, you could have gotten one of us with 555 time to baby foot it through the corners for you. Really, 555 is all about riding a high line into the corners, till you see the (clean) line out. So it's all hard acceleration out of corners to stay happy, for me anyway. Too many corners have mixed radius/elevation/road surface/etc. I'm not even counting the skittered sideways on 555 tar snakes coming into or out of corners.

You ain't kidding, I was lifting the front on most of those hills under normal acceleration. That was a little disconcerting - I started getting out of the throttle when I crested a lot of those after the first 3 or 4 so I wouldn't get all nimbly-bimbly.

Edited by JRMMiii

By the way Justin...

Just wondering .....

progress.gif

Jinx sold three of the bikes on that ride. I think Mike pays him to go riding on Sundays to get work in the service department. He got Inya last year, it didn't turn into service work but it turned into a new bike.

Jinx sold three of the bikes on that ride. I think Mike pays him to go riding on Sundays to get work in the service department. He got Inya last year, it didn't turn into service work but it turned into a new bike.

Lulz

I'll state again..and Tod already knows this..Jinx had nothing to do with that accident. That being said, he has a knack for being around when folks go down.

I followed that guy on the R1 last time I rode (Me, Jinx, R1). Seemed cool. I kept him in front because I had never ridden with him before, and I get nervous ..sometimes..with unknown riders behind me. He went wide once or twice...but otherwise seemed to be pretty good. I didn't bother trying to play follow the leader in the straights...we can all do 150+.

Now that I think about it...there was this one yellow line pass where he's damn lucky an amish buggy was holding up traffic on the other side of the blind corner. If a car had been coming we wouldn't be talking about him riding last weekend.

Edited by InyaAzz

You ain't kidding, I was lifting the front on most of those hills under normal acceleration. That was a little disconcerting - I started getting out of the throttle when I crested a lot of those after the first 3 or 4 so I wouldn't get all nimbly-bimbly.

If you remember one of my posts on 555 last year. If you are riding north on 555, there is one little rise over a hill with a quick turn to the left. If you go airborne, you might not make the turn. What I noticed was that if going straight off the road instead of turning, it was downhill from there, either through the side of a trailer sitting low off the road, or bouncing off the top and off into the meadow. That one made me pucker in sympathy...

i thought the same thing for a minute. lol

i made it to 110 on the warrior once... ever been in a wind tunnel, i'm sure thats what it was like.

Same here, 110 slightly downhill.... that was before the saddlebags though :-D lol Since the saddlebags the best I've done is 105 ish

No one was in any power ranger suits - I have one, but don't wear it on the street, so I was lacking in the pants dept. I can't confirm, but I think I was the only guy wearing full boots and gauntlet style gloves.

The majority had leather or textile jackets, helmets, gloves and tennis shoes, high tops - only 2 of the guys were in long-sleeve shirts/sweatshirts. Coincidentally, those were the two guys that had incidents - of course.

Those were my observations. But, I don't know if you're itching to turn this into a AGATT thread, personal responsibility thread, or what direction you're going to take with this... I'm anxiously awaiting. :p

Edited by JRMMiii

No' date=' not a ATGATT segue, just curious to know. I didn't see you, obviously, but did see the aforementioned hoodies and jacketless riders. I just wanted to see if my suspicions were confirmed and they have been. Thank you.[/quote']

I saw Justin was wearing a wife beater and pair of tighty whities.

Tru story